Have switched to San An this year...

Must admit, I agree entirely with the San An vs. PDB thing.

I dreamed of going to Ibiza since I was about 12, but didn't manage it until my mid-20s for various reasons. I prepared myself for the worst, "never meet your heroes" and all that. I particularly told myself San An might be a bit of a dive. Yet I was surprised, very surprised.

As has been said, the infamous "West End" is one small street. Not pleasant I'll be honest, but even on that actual street, not as bad as people make out. Most small British towns are far worse on any given Tuesday night in winter. Plus, I saw it as a good thing - a nice little filter to soak up the types who stay in Pikey Park and spend their entire time getting smashed on cheap lager and shots.

I also expected PDB to be much nicer - the price difference on even the cheap hotels was massive. Yet it's just like one long West End on the road side.

Last year I went with a mate - likes dance music but not majorly into it. Bit of DnB, but his favourite band for example is Iron Maiden. But he instantly fell in love with the place and commented that San An is fine. Totally bemused at the fact there are 10 times as many parked cars as people (as am I) but near the top where we stayed (by Kanya/Cala Es Moro) it's really quiet. He refers to the West End jokingly as "THAT street" but said apart from that, he doesn't get the stigma around San An.

On the plane he was visibly a bit perplexed by the rowdy English kids who made up 99% of the passengers, like I was lying that Ibiza doesn't attract those types, but he was again amazed that after we left the airport they vanished. Saw hardly any Maldito Ingles all week, and never at nice places like beaches, or indeed most club nights.

On the flip-side, aside from going to Armin's rooftop party at Ushuaia, and later his night at Hi, we didn't go to PDB until the last day when we had a wander about waiting to go to the airport. He said it was like Blackpool, and couldn't understand why it was so much more expensive to stay there.

I must admit, I agree. But let's keep it quiet eh, or the hotels/apartments in San An will put their prices up! :p

anyone know what the score is with Cafe Mambo putting resultant tables directly in front of the DJ box on a Saturday night? Are they there every night now ?

I admittedly haven't, though I do know that plenty have indeed raised their prices. You still get much more for your money in San An though it would seem.

I correct myself on this - Hotel Gran Sol (3* but I've always said it deserves more than this) for 5 nights in mid-Sept is around 500E. Even staying at bloody Jet in PDB is over £1000.

anyone know what the score is with Cafe Mambo putting resultant tables directly in front of the DJ box on a Saturday night? Are they there every night now ?

As in, between the little window and the footpath? I'd imagine they're trying to reduce the number of people clogging the place up by blocking the path. Last year there were bouncers moving people on if they were blocking the path.

Now I'm not sure on the law in Spain, or if indeed Mambo own that section of the path, but in the UK they'd technically be breaking the law there, as private security cannot move you on from a public place. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite glad they do it though, bloody nightmare trying to walk down there normally.

Plus, having a big camera and lens normally gets you waved into the DJ booth itself in my experience!

1/ Tapas
2/ Ritas Cantina
3/ El Rincon De Pepe

+ Skinny Kitchen (for Burgers!)
+ Tijuana Tex Mex

i went to tapas last year can't believe it was first time ive been! is rincon de pepe just as good? i think i might try it this year aswell as going back to tapas

i went to tapas last year can't believe it was first time ive been! is rincon de pepe just as good? i think i might try it this year aswell as going back to tapas

More traditional, you will love it.

Back