Haggis

I think I am officially the only black man on earth (except maybe the late Idi Amin... ok, and maybe people who've lived in Scotland) who likes haggis :lol:

Love the stuff. Only get to have it every couple of years when some Scots fly some in for a party... if you know of a good place in W. London to get some next time I'm over, would be interested to know.

I've had good and bad, the taste varies considerably when it's good I quite like it. Reminds me of a dry, spicy faggot. I was at a conference in a very posh hotel in Scotland a few years back and they "Piped in the Haggis" with a guy in bagpipes and full traditional scottish dress. Very cool. Nice haggis too.

I love it- there is only one place in New York (that I know of ) which has Haggis on the menu, and it is absolutely delicious. In fact, I think I am heading over there after work to have some;)

they "Piped in the Haggis" with a guy in bagpipes and full traditional scottish dress. Very cool. Nice haggis too.
I've seen that a few times... attended a few annual Robbie Burns' Night parties in the past. Cool ceremony (usually alongside a rather rude ode to the women and a shrill response to the men :lol:)

Address to a Haggis.

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o the puddin'-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy of a grace
As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin wad help to mend a mill
In time o need,
While thro your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dight,
An cut you up wi ready slight,
Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
Like onie ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin, rich!

Then, horn for horn, they stretch an strive:
Deil tak the hindmost, on they drive,
Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve
Are bent like drums;
The auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
'Bethankit' hums.

Is there that owre his French ragout,
Or olio that wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad mak her spew
Wi perfect sconner,
Looks down wi sneering, scornfu view
On sic a dinner?

Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
As feckless as a wither'd rash,
His spindle shank a guid whip-lash,
His nieve a nit:
Thro bloody flood or field to dash,
O how unfit!

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread,
Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
He'll make it whissle;
An legs an arms, an heads will sned,
Like taps o thrissle.

Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies:
But, if ye wish her gratefu prayer,
Gie her a Haggis!

Robert Burns

I had Haggis Pizza this evening, in case anyone was wondering why the randomness. Laptop was sitting by me as i tucked in.

I had Haggis Pizza this evening, in case anyone was wondering why the randomness. Laptop was sitting by me as i tucked in.

wtf? i'm guessing it's a topping, like pepporoni or something - because the image that popped into my mind:eek:

wtf? i'm guessing it's a topping, like pepporoni or something - because the image that popped into my mind:eek:

product_range_shots.jpg

Have to say, it was bloody marvelous! I normally eat my Haggis with neeps and tatties.

I tried it twice first time was horrible second time it was ok. I would not go out of my way to eat it; but I would give it a turn again.

Love it, had a haggis party round a mates house...

Even did the "ode to a haggis" before we caned it! (all be it in the worst scottish accent ever)

Back