guru josh

Back in the day (early eighties) I was an impresionable young lad and absolutely loved New Order. They could have remixed jingle bells and I would have thought it was cool as feck. Saw them live in Bradford around that time, best £5'er I ever spent.

Must have listened to Confusion 10,000+ times thinking it was the best moosic eva:lol:

Its so sad, but I hope the lithium is keeping you stable.

Aas for GA I just turn the sound off, and make up my own words. I think N8 might do similar

Last edited by a moderator:
They were certainly on stage looking half decent, not sure about the singing?

I'm a Girls Aloud fan :lol: and can confirm for anyone that wants to know they are number one with "The Promise", and they sang it live on the x factor the other week (ok so Cheryl's first section was a bit ropey) and then again "live" (it's pre-recorded on a Thur) on last Friday's J Ross show...love a bit of Girls Aloud!

Perhaps Jonathan Ross could bring on a large paddling pool full of Jelly muzzle them all then chuck 'em in- family entertainment i call it. They could take turns kicking him the nuts afterwards -- i'd turn the sound back on for that!

I loved New Order (and electronic)

blue monday, confusion, bizarre love triangle were all seminal

"perfect kiss" though for me, is possibly THE perfect E record

Oh not to forget Inner City's follow up to "Good Life"............"Big Fun"

You're not ****ing wrong about the big fun bit.

Two identical songs released in 20 years then re-released ad infinitum.

Great work if you can get it.

But its like the 'Its like That' story -- Run DMC had all the cash and Jam Master got a kick in the pants, thats why you have to buy the live version if you want the real artist to get some money, plus its better - Im sure he was looked after in the end. Mixers get very little except if theres a prior deal, in that case there wasn't and, as Run DMC said, if you want to make some money is music "play it again, sam".

As a budding (but still fairly cr&p) sax player i find it actualy really tough getting sheet music to play let alone pull to pieces, try finding the riffs from Guru Josh (ok, thats not too tricky to work out) and you can't.

Yeah know what you mean like the 'destination calabria' riff, sax breaks can work so well though when played pure improv. a la Laura Folwes of Hed Kandi, Natasha Marechenko, up and coming Louise Batey etc. A good percussionist and saxophonista mixes is 'the heart of jazz' and IMO should be in every club in the world. If you go to a HK night and its DJ's only its just a disco night with artwork, tolerated until about 3.30, but with Pav and Laura playing -- its an event and you want to stay to the end.

I'll be annoying the ears of innocent bystanders on Ibiza next summer.

I agree with this so much !!! And then afterwards I always say I'm gonna go to jazz events but never do...

Thats because you have to very very careful which you go to. Do not go to chichester expecting funky sax and double bass players , as you get pensioners that start clapping (To break the pin drop silence) at bizarre intervals - that sort of prissy jazz. The only reliable places are leeds, cardiff, london and brighton.

Pizza express are helping as they do jazz events here and there but there are some very fine acts to see.

im off to HK in Brighton on the 29th Nov to see laura but will also be sussing out the geography of some of the other jazz venues.

The only reliable places are leeds, cardiff, london and brighton.

Reminded me of a guy I worked with in Leicester a few years back. He used to travel from Leicester to Leeds regularly for some jazz club or other. I said back then I would go with him one week, ten years on I still haven't been:(

Reminded me of a guy I worked with in Leicester a few years back. He used to travel from Leicester to Leeds regularly for some jazz club or other. I said back then I would go with him one week, ten years on I still haven't been:(

makes me feel better about not arranging to meet up with you before i left leeds....;)

No wanting to split hairs, but has there been a single girl band that COULD sing over the past couple of decades?

I've seen Girls Aloud in concert and thought they could definately sing, I really enjoyed it. I don't think they're amazing singers but let's be honest, they wouldn't have won Pop Stars the Rivals if they were all completely tone deaf, they're far better than Spice Girls in terms of singing. I think Sugababes can sing too, not sure about any other girl bands.

makes me feel better about not arranging to meet up with you before i left leeds....;)

lol

There was a frost and a half in sunny Leeds this morning, I would be suprised if it took you ten minutes to de-frost your car this am?:lol::lol:

I've seen Girls Aloud in concert and thought they could definately sing, I really enjoyed it. I don't think they're amazing singers but let's be honest, they wouldn't have won Pop Stars the Rivals if they were all completely tone deaf, they're far better than Spice Girls in terms of singing. I think Sugababes can sing too, not sure about any other girl bands.

ok, ok:D The world of pop music would be a MUCH duller place without Girls Aloud and the like. I guess in this PC world, a Girls Aloud version replaces the Pirelli calendar of old.

No wanting to split hairs, but has there been a single girl band that COULD sing over the past couple of decades?

No I am just saying they DEFINITELY cannot sing. I was standing at the bar getting a drink and just heard constant wailing.

1 of them could sing, judging by what I saw on JR it was Sarah.

lol

ok, ok:D The world of pop music would be a MUCH duller place without Girls Aloud and the like.

a lot of people would beg to differ there.

everytime I watch/hear some ITV contrived bunch of talentless, permatanned muppets, I feel like stabbing myself with a pencil

and that tweedy girl is a racist slag of the most vile kind

I love Girls Aloud. Sarah Harding is my ideal girlfriend and Tweedy is a best looking girl on the planet. And Sound of the Underground is still a tune.

Back