Greece debt farce - the end of the Euro?

When you can rig the system with a reserve currency, and cause inflation deflation when ever you want. It doesn't matter much. The consumer confidence is all that matters. The USA can pull down the amount of currency any time it wants. The euro and dollar should be on par, but the euro and other currencies trade at a higher rate due to currency games to effect trade balance.

What does everyone think of the Cameron pledge on a up or down vote on the UK in the EU?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21148282

As a nation we can't be trusted to vote properly for X Factor, so as someone's who's business is intrinsically linked with EU trade I am dead against putting this to the masses.

The trouble is that our fear-mongering media print too much BS about how bad being in Europe is, when rarely highlighting the benefits. And the Great British public is too gullible. That is a very dangerous combination.

England is dead right to question the EU. Its an, unelected bureaucracy that administer and control it. Would think that the City of London would have no problem with it...but the rest of England should be wary.

The irony...Cameron last year lecturing the Scottish Parliament that the vote for independence should happen immediately, there should be no delay etc (regardless of the fact the SNP were elected with a manifesto pledge to hold the vote in the 2nd half of the parliament) and now proposing holding off the vote on Europe for nearly 5 years...

Further, for months here we have been hearing scare stories that if Scotland voted for independence they would be left out high and dry from Europe etc etc (which is highly unlikely). Clearly the biggest threat from membership of the EU is from being part of the UK.

The prospect of not being part of the EU is quite a scary thought. Bearing in mind, that unlike other parts of the UK (Daily Mail readers and the alike), Scottish opinion is generally pro-European, Cameron's announcement today has, in my view, handed the SNP an open-goal in their campaign and could prove significant in the 2014 referendum.

What does everyone think of the Cameron pledge on a up or down vote on the UK in the EU?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21148282

i am interested in how the EU has affected individuals, I recently needed to buy a hod, a device for carrying bricks on ones shoulder. By all accounts they have been banned for years due to elf and safety but I didn't know. Has anyone been affected in a similar way, perhaps blunter (not James) staples or a less smelly glue stick. Hair net stories can be funny too! Why not post them.

i am interested in how the EU has affected individuals, I recently needed to buy a hod, a device for carrying bricks on ones shoulder. By all accounts they have been banned for years due to elf and safety but I didn't know. Has anyone been affected in a similar way, perhaps blunter (not James) staples or a less smelly glue stick. Hair net stories can be funny too! Why not post them.

Is it me or has inflation the cost of goods (except in the UK) went up alot across the EU nations?

I would prefer us to renegotiate the conditions of our membership and us it for purely trade reasons but the EU is annoyingly playing hard ball so it's case of 'you're in or your out'.

Uncertainty is the biggest killer of economies - so in this regard Cameron has pissed on his own chips. As well as all of ours.

I don't like the EU. The increased regulatory burden it has placed on business has been ridiculous and quite dangerous in some circumstances.

But unless there is a defined better way outside of EU, which as it stands no politician has been able to define, then shut the **** up. Then stop showboating like a c ock when it's everyone else who will have to deal with the outcome.

You stupid Tory C unt!.

I would prefer us to renegotiate the conditions of our membership and us it for purely trade reasons.

^^ This.

I think the EU will (eventually) move heaven & earth in order to make us stay. Merkel is already making the right kind of noises to suggest as much. No doubt they will pay hardball. If even a tenth of what is reported is true, than the EU has a lot to lose if we leave. Arguably though, we stand to lose a whole lot more.

While admittedly an outsider, I know that the EU adds another layer of legal, regulatory and bureaucratic burden to its member states, but I think the benefits of a peaceful, (somewhat) united Europe outweigh the drawbacks.

In any case, you'd think the first order of business in the UK would be reducing the legal, regulatory and bureaucratic burden caused by the government... in the UK!

While admittedly an outsider, I know that the EU adds another layer of legal, regulatory and bureaucratic burden to its member states, but I think the benefits of a peaceful, (somewhat) united Europe outweigh the drawbacks.

In any case, you'd think the first order of business in the UK would be reducing the legal, regulatory and bureaucratic burden caused by the government... in the UK!

and bring back the hod

I would prefer us to renegotiate the conditions of our membership and us it for purely trade reasons

Then you dont need membership, you would leave the EU and set up individual trade agreements (or potentially a EU wide agreement) with other countries... similar to what others (such as Norway) do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you dont need membership, you would leave the EU and set up individual trade agreements (or potentially a EU wide agreement) with other countries... similar to what others (such as Norway) do.

I wonder though, how do Norway's import/exports to the rest of EU compare to ours?

When it comes to my line of work, of which 50% is military (add another several dozen layers of red-tape!) then simply changing from EU to non-EU is not a simple exercise. It would require a great deal of our products to go through UL approval all over again - not a speedy (or cheap!) process.

Scotland's economy - assume they continue to gain more independence, I would hazard a guess, will/does rely mightily heavily from corporation tax from military-based businesses.

simply changing from EU to non-EU is not a simple exercise. It would require a great deal of our products to go through UL approval all over again - not a speedy (or cheap!) process.

Exactly - many people on the street appear not to realise such implications of moving out of the EU and are generally ill-informed (through the press) on the whole topic. The affect on businesses in the UK could be catostrophic.

My response was to a previous comment that the UK could simply negotiate a trade-only scenario whilst remaining a member. Clearly this would not be acceptable to the remaining members as it defeats the whole purpose of the organisation. The idea that Europe are desperate for the UK to remain a member and would be clambering to meet their demands is simply not the case in my view - certainly in terms of public opinion (ie a poll this week in France indicated 70% would be happy of the UK to leave).

This has all come about due to a weak Prime Minister having one last roll of the dice. It is party politics rather than a genuine move to act in the best interests of the country.

hrwxdv.jpg

**** these ****ing EU-clowns in ****ing brussels.
**** the ****ing EU anyway.

and **** the ****ing EURO.

I am for Europe but one size does not fit all, our economies, laws, and outlooks are all different. When the UK signed up to Europe we signed to be part of a free trade zone but since then we have never had a vote on closer integration at each stage of the process, if we had we may not be in the position we are in now. I have read many foreign papers in the last few days and the scaremongering printed in sensationalist at best, especially from French news papers, which basically shows their true feelings towards us ( theres gratitude for you!) I do believe a vote is needed and the UK will vote to stay in but I dont believe the Tories will get in at the next election so all this is irrelevant, but if we did leave there will be one big hole in the euro budget which will need to be filled, and i'm not to sure those who benefit (the french with their massive farming subsidies for one) will be none to happy its been allowed to happen.

What does everyone think of the austerity measure that have been in place in the UK?

Haven't been in the UK for a few months, but I don't think the real austerity has really taken hold yet. Osbourne has been quoted off the record to admitting investment in infrastructure would have been smarter than austerity!! Although on a recent working trip to London makes you realise that the capital seems to exist in it's own micro economy almost severed from the rest of the country.

At the end of the day, the plight of individual countries means little, the world is bankrupt, the financial system will collapse as sure as night follows day. What the fallout from this will be is anyone's guess?

Back