goodness gracious me. ibiza is dead!

Buckleys right on this one I reckon. its all Mondeo mans fault the ****

It will take a long time for reputations to change. Perhaps a documentary series on the bits of ibiza other than clubs could do it?

Does anyone remember tho, that in Ibiza uncovered in 97, they did actually cover more than the west end and pissed up brits. I rmember they had two women working in a bar planning for an opening night, a guy going to Formentera for leather weekend (or something) , a bloke working in a bar who was trying to lose weight (!?!), and others im sure but cant remember?

The numbers are dropping, but not as exaggerated as they say in the article. Maybe the sunset strip has suffered more the lack of tourism, but the streets with bars around the harbour, calle de La Virgen, Alfonso XII (Dôme, Lola's, etc) were packed every night. Slightly less than other years but still packed.

Cocoon @ Amnesia was packed, even the terrace, something I never saw before even in August, I suppose because the electro/minimal sounds are getting more popular. Penelope seems to have gotten a big success, I personally liked the venue a lot, like a darker Pacha. These might be positive issues about the island.

Ibiza is still a bustling place, even though not as bustling as in years before. The main problem for my liking is the big drop regarding quality/price. Quality is getting down as prices rise. I'm starting to feel about the club prices more of a robbery than a high-quality price they deserve to be paid. The people is worse in general year after year.

Most of my friends who are veteran visitors to the island decided not to come back this year, and others have decided this too after this summer. One of my bohemian friends in Ibiza, living for many years there, is thinking seriously on leaving the island.

Most of the things are negative, but some in a higher level and others in a low level, not as alarmist as they say. However at the end of the day, I personally still enjoy the island a lot for its atmosphere and magic.

NilSatis said:
Only ten years out.

It would have been interesting to see Ibiza in 88 and compare it to now.

wheres the Delorean....

Does this mean that I can buy George Michael's villa? It's in such a pretty area. :eek:

I found it funny that when reading about the Pikes Hotel this year, they were still boasting that Wham! filmed "Club Tropicana" there in 1985 and that Freddie Mercury had a party there once in the 80s as well.

It's still a beautiful island, and like all things there is ebb and flow. I think it will bounce back, so I'm going to enjoy it while it's cheap and not so crowded! I had a fabulous time there last week but I admit it did look dead in spots and the glamour was a little faded. The girls were still fit and the ocean gorgeous. The locals were wonderful, as well. It was a true holiday, so laid back and beautiful.

Buckley said:
russ said:
I cant see how if ibiza has a reputation for being a degenerate, dirty hole full of p!ssed up nutters and minger slappers how this is the fault of eg Space.

Because to Mondeo man us junkies are even worse than the boozing youngsters in San An.

thankfully i read this post and now i know how glamourous and sophisticated clubbers are. it's clearly a case of mistaken identity!

http://www.ibiza-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=37604&highlight=

i particularly liked the bit about sniffing spilled poppers off someones arm. does one pass the poppers to the left or the right as i wouldn't want to get caught out at one of your high class affairs should i ever go?

stephen said:
Dr Mick said:
stephen said:
clubbers... only come for 3 months but give the island a year round bad reputation.

Er, I'm a clubber.

What have I done to worsen Ibiza's rep?

what you have or haven't done is by the by.

What I or other "clubbers" have done is exactly the point, I think.

Overly general statements like "clubbers give the island a bad reputation" don't help the perception that you have a problem with.

Most clubbers I know have a very good time in a (relatively) civilised manner, spend lots of money in hotels/bars/restaurants all over the island.

They then go home and talk incessantly about how great Ibiza is and what they're going to do when they go back.

How is that worsening the island's rep?

because that is not the perception people have! it doesn't matter what you do or don't do, the reputation of ibiza is clubbing island. i know that's not true and so do you. however hundreds of thousands of people who no longer come or want to come to ibiza don't know that.

i've said time and time again that if you don't want to meet any clubbers, beer boys, yacht people, gays, equitorianos etc etc then you stay away from a few small areas.

there's plenty in ibiza for everybody. i also have a great time, eat in great restuarants, drink in lovely bars, and talk incessantly about what a great place ibiza is. how many from this board have seen me in my haunts? not many and that illustrates my point.

stephen said:
because that is not the perception people have! it doesn't matter what you do or don't do, the reputation of ibiza is clubbing island.
Ibiza is a great island for clubbing. Those clubbers who do act in a responsible manner improve the rep, those that act badly worsen the rep.

Of course it matters what they do or don't do.

stephen said:
how many from this board have seen me in my haunts? not many and that illustrates my point.

So your point is that you don't go out very much but are happy to comment on places you've never been?

the very fact that ibiza is clubbing island - no matter how well or badly clubbers behave - is enough to discourage many people who know nothing about clubbing.

i know nothing about clubbing and i don't know any clubbers. i have a very nice social life and a great lifestyle but i hardly think that 'stephen has a meal in villa manchega followed by a drink in quijote's' is going to make the headlines in the paper.

stephen said:
i know nothing about clubbing and i don't know any clubbers.

You know me!

stephen said:
i have a very nice social life and a great lifestyle but i hardly think that 'stephen has a meal in villa manchega followed by a drink in quijote's' is going to make the headlines in the paper.

:lol: :lol:

stephen said:
because that is not the perception people have! it doesn't matter what you do or don't do, the reputation of ibiza is clubbing island. i know that's not true and so do you. however hundreds of thousands of people who no longer come or want to come to ibiza don't know that.

i've said time and time again that if you don't want to meet any clubbers, beer boys, yacht people, gays, equitorianos etc etc then you stay away from a few small areas.

there's plenty in ibiza for everybody. i also have a great time, eat in great restuarants, drink in lovely bars, and talk incessantly about what a great place ibiza is. how many from this board have seen me in my haunts? not many and that illustrates my point.

The family tourism has fallen much more than the clubbing tourism, is that true?

I personally think these last years the worst among us Spaniards and Italians (cocky muscled guys, bad-mannered ignorants) are considering Ibiza a top destination on holiday. In years before this island attracted only the bohemian side and the stylish side of these countries. Both giving their particular good image. I must admit we are now giving a bad image, because nowadays, every neighbour's son wants to go to Ibiza, even from lower classes. Clubbing in Ibiza has become too commercial in Spain, and here the perception of the island is unfortunately a clubbing island as well.

The responsibles of tourism in Ibiza don't seem to have a clue about promoting the island, or are their hands tied by the disco mafia?

Oh noooooooooooooooooo! :(

Im going San Antonio tomorrow (sunday). My idea was to not spend much this year and do the west-end thing, as Ive done most of the clubs.

Ive been in the following years...

I hope its still good. I had a better time in 03 than in 1999, and 2004 to me seemed just as busy as 2003!!

fingers crossed! :p

the last two years didn't seem anywhere as busy as the when I first went in 1998 (post Ibiza-uncovered)...I myself am not taking the annual pilgrimidge this year, instead I am going to what seems a nice-ish resort in the south of Spain...lacking in funds a bit and just cannot justify spending an extra £500+ which needs to pay for the next part of my economics/business degree.
I am missing it really badly, really really really want to be there but it just isn't sensible this year.
Plus I need a rest, I'm knackered.

I never noticed the difference between 99 and 2003, maybe coz it was such a big jump and i had forgotten what it was like but both years were fookin busy and buzzin and i went at the same time (july) both years.

I did remember 99 being rather special tho.

Ive just come back from a 2 week break there.

Ive been 7 times since 1997, and i was shocked at how quiet it was for mid august! It was busy over the radio 1 weekend, but as soon as that had been and gone, the numbers dropped real noticably!!!!

Id say that after radio 1 (august 14th onwards), it was no busier than early July in say 1999!!!!

I have to say the prices are ridiculous, and I only did 4 big club nights out of 14 nights stay, the remaining nights i just cruised the bars (mambo, bar m, hush, plastik etc etc) and a couple of nites in ibiza town.

I did el divino once for hed kandi, pacha twice for pure pacha and defected, and space for the radio 1 party.

Sorry have to say dont like the "new" terrace at space, and wont be going again!

Generally enjoyable, but noticeable that numbers are down (even from last year!). But I mean 45+ euros to get into pacha, and almost 10 euros a drink is taking the piss, and may end up shooting themselves in the foot.....

Just got back!

Seemed well busy to me, more busy than june 2004 - but that is to be expected, maybe not quite as much as july 99 but still buzzing.

Bodley.

MRGREWCOCK said:
Ive just come back from a 2 week break there.

Ive been 7 times since 1997, and i was shocked at how quiet it was for mid august! It was busy over the radio 1 weekend, but as soon as that had been and gone, the numbers dropped real noticably!!!!

Id say that after radio 1 (august 14th onwards), it was no busier than early July in say 1999!!!!

I have to say the prices are ridiculous, and I only did 4 big club nights out of 14 nights stay, the remaining nights i just cruised the bars (mambo, bar m, hush, plastik etc etc) and a couple of nites in ibiza town.

I did el divino once for hed kandi, pacha twice for pure pacha and defected, and space for the radio 1 party.

Sorry have to say dont like the "new" terrace at space, and wont be going again!

Generally enjoyable, but noticeable that numbers are down (even from last year!). But I mean 45+ euros to get into pacha, and almost 10 euros a drink is taking the piss, and may end up shooting themselves in the foot.....

Looked that way to me as my holiday came to a close around the 18th, it seemed like I saw the crest of the wave, and now it was time to go. Less fit people were running about on the beach! I adore Ibiza and long to go back but seriously, on this trip, I was more of a beach bum and the prices did keep me away from a lot of clubs. I don't see paying that much money anywhere in the world just to dance to someone playing records. If you're not going to get a hair raising experience like you would have at Manumission before 1998, I think it's not worth it.

Well, the beautiful Pacha girls are worth the ticket price but exactly how much of that figure do they get for all their effort? They're out there in the burning sun every day promoting the club and then on their feet all night in a champagne glass. I know dancers in NY at Crobar and Avalon who only work at night but are on their feet for hours as well dancing to drunken masses and the pay is embarassing - ticket and bottle service prices are high but then the workers are paid very little.

Back to Ibiza, I can see why P Diddy was reluctant to pay his liquor bill at Amnesia - even the wealthy don't like to be soaked!

I was there three times so far this summer, and I'll flight next week again for the whole month.
ThisAugust was surprising quiet! Hotel owner's told me that they hat ~30% less people staying in their hotels. I was the first weekend of august on Sunday afternoon in Space and was half as full as in the past year! But I liked, cause I had enough place for dancing!! The atmosphere was OK in the "old" terrace (when you enter on your left). I don't like the new roofed terrace, it's ridiculous, why should be a "Terrace", it is dark like a usual club, where is the retractable roof!
Anyone of you was there in 98 or 99 when Carl Cox was mixing in the real terrace next to the crowd....? Not exactly the same feeling today...
However Ibiza is still magic, there are beautiful moments everytime I go there (about 9 or 10 years now..) and every year I discover a new bar, club, beach that make me smiling!!
CU there! :)

Markel said:
I was the first weekend of august on Sunday afternoon in Space and was half as full as in the past year! But I liked, cause I had enough place for dancing!!

FYI Space on Sundays is kicking off a bit later than it used to, partially due to the musical program on the now roofed "terrace" which extends till 6am.

I was chatting to the woman from We Love who does the door and she said they get quite a few through from 8am to 1pm, then it eases off for a bit, then starts to get busier and busier throughout the afternoon and evening.

The head line djs aren't usually on till 8pm. The discoteca and Red Box program gets going around midnight.

Back