goodness gracious me. ibiza is dead!

please god no golf clubs

a)they are ecological disasters. I thought that the water in ibiza was precious enough.
a golf club uses about 1.8 million cubic metres of water per year,the same as 11,000 people

b) golf clubs attract racist tossers in ralph lauren shirts with orange coloured wives.

There are plenty of places in the med to play golf in the sunshine,just as there are plenty of places for 18yr old's away for the first time to get trollied.
Ibiza IS different, that's what makes it special. that's why we all like it.

I have stayed in one of ibiza's rural eco-hotels (twice).
they are indeed the future of tourism. (pricey though)

I just got back from Ibiza today and agree with some of the points in the article. I stayed in the Hotel Playa D'en Bossa and it was incredibly cheap for an amazing hotel right on the beach; many of the restaurants around the area were incredibly dead every night I was there. The beaches were gorgeous so I spent more time in the sun than at the clubs, but I did hit Bora Bora and Manumission. Bora Bora was a blast and always crowded and jumping. Manumission was such a let down for the money it cost to get in (40 euro) - it reminded me of a night at Webster Hall in NYC. I understand the sex show has been gone for a while but I thought it would be a little more artistic than it was; and Fischerspooner coming out for one song? What a life! I was across the street from Space and certain days were more lively than others - didn't think it was worth spending the cash to get in when it sounded better from the outside. I think I heard Barbara Tucker and it sounded very quiet outside of her singing - again, I wasn't inside so I can't report what kind of crowd was there but it was quiet. Saw Pete Tong at Mambo on Friday and the crowd was insane - loved the Irish cutie who brought all her own liquor! Other than that the whole place seemed incredibly tame for August.

its crazy...
and if you look at ibiza on whole as a business there is demand to take over the spot light.. all you need is a an island in a great location, decent size, already hotels and restaurants etc.. on the island, and with an investment of lets say 200million you could build the new ibiza!
and give ibiza a run for their money! ibiza is just scamming the poeple with those prices.. they dont care about the music or the scene as they say!
they only care about the dollars!
seems by the article that punters are getting sick of the high prices!

IM sure it wont be long when another island starts to do what ibiza did
get the big Dj,s open a some big clubs! keep prices low and watch the people come.. new location, new venues, might just be what people are looking for.. everyone likes something different!
then you will see ibiza bringing their prices down! as of now they dont have to lower price becuase they are the only ones in the market..

Dr Mick said:
stephen said:
clubbers... only come for 3 months but give the island a year round bad reputation.

Er, I'm a clubber.

What have I done to worsen Ibiza's rep?

what you have or haven't done is by the by. it's the perception that people have of our 'clubbing island' that discourages people from coming. the truth of the island is that clubbers only use about 20 places - how many times have i bumped into you on the island dr. mick? about 6, and 4 of those occasions were office related!
unhappily mr. and mrs. mondeo and family perceive clubbers as a bunch of drug munching prats rolling through their hotel with inane expressions and loud voices. is it any wonder they don't want to come here?

UlsterWino said:
I would say ibiza was at its best around 1999 just after the kevin and perry film. that film really showed people how good ibiza was and from watching the footage of them inside Amnesia i realised I just had to go to ibiza. i think we need Kevin and perry 2 to boost the numbers for next year :)

Kevin and Perry is one of the worst films ever made :eek:

intresting points made above...

i'm planning to go out in mid september, should I be worried??

i.e i hear what everyones saying about the restaurants/hotels etc, but what are the numbers like in places like D10, SPACE, bora bora etc?? are the clubs pretty much the same as usual??

stephen said:
Dr Mick said:
stephen said:
clubbers... only come for 3 months but give the island a year round bad reputation.

Er, I'm a clubber.

What have I done to worsen Ibiza's rep?

what you have or haven't done is by the by. it's the perception that people have of our 'clubbing island' that discourages people from coming. the truth of the island is that clubbers only use about 20 places - how many times have i bumped into you on the island dr. mick? about 6, and 4 of those occasions were office related!
unhappily mr. and mrs. mondeo and family perceive clubbers as a bunch of drug munching prats rolling through their hotel with inane expressions and loud voices. is it any wonder they don't want to come here?

I love the way you natives seem to blame the clubbing visitors for Ibiza's bad reputation, when it is clearly the islands fault for letting itself be marketed as such.

And we all know why it markets itself as "the clubbing mecca"... $$$$ Don't we.

x-amount said:
And we all know why it markets itself as "the clubbing mecca"... $$$$ Don't we.

Its all about the Euro's isn't it. If Ibiza really didn't want the clubbers they could have made it impossible for the clubs to opperate with even hasher sound polution laws along with other measures.

Take the clubbing away and for me, Ibiza is a fairly standard med destination. It is suffering with the changes in British holiday habits, the same as hundreds of other such places .

Spain as a whole and the Balearics in particular are also very expensive for the average family to visit when you look at other destinations, such as Greece and Turkey.

Agree/disgree :?:

Interesting topic.

BBS said:
Take the clubbing away and for me, Ibiza is a fairly standard med destination. It is suffering with the changes in British holiday habits, the same as hundreds of other such places .

Spain as a whole and the Balearics in particular are also very expensive for the average family to visit when you look at other destinations, such as Greece and Turkey.

Agree/disgree :?:

Interesting topic.

I agree with you.

The spanish Isles in general are pricing themselves out of the tourism. This is probably from a belief that people will just keep coming. All the families i know that have gone away togwether have been going to Turkey in paarticular or Greece or America.

gingerfreak said:
stephen said:
x-a. the island has never marketed itself as clubbing mecca. never.

Ibiza United?

clubs only. not an official marketing policy of the government.

other points.

spain is now THE most popular destination for brits abroad. more come here than any other country.

spain has had record numbers of visitors over the last 2 or 3 years. 52 million if my memory serves me correctly.

ibiza is one of the few places still with a downturn in figures............

two plus two equals............

quote unquote discuss

the 'cheaper' (san an esp) resorts have priced themselves out of the market. why pay ibiza (tourist) prices for food and drink when it's much cheaper elsewhere in spain?

And the town halls cant complain when they ban 'as much as you can drink' promotions and the 18yr olds go elsewhere for their holidays.

And it is important to separate the 'clubs' (which are undoubtedly some of the best places to listen to house music and dance in the whole wide world) from the Ibiza Uncovered reputation the island developed. they are two very different things.

I cant see how if ibiza has a reputation for being a degenerate, dirty hole full of p!ssed up nutters and minger slappers how this is the fault of eg Space.

However, the outrageous prices charged by the 'big 6' will certainly put off alot of people from returning.

stephen said:
spain is now THE most popular destination for brits abroad. more come here than any other country.

spain has had record numbers of visitors over the last 2 or 3 years. 52 million if my memory serves me correctly.

ibiza is one of the few places still with a downturn in figures............

two plus two equals............

quote unquote discuss

yeah thats because everyone was going to Italy, france and now its spains turn.
I guess with Ibiza so many people have already been there and didnt think it was so worth returning maybe thats why the numbers are down
maybes its time is coming to an end from the peak.. I mean 20 years of the number 1 spot.. every man and dog has probably been there from England or arround.. its still getting new people.. but perhaps the many people are not returning?? I dont know..
and spain.. well what an amazing country.. but I think it was always in the shadow of france and italy but now is starting to really shine!!
so the numbers are really up..
and good for spain.. it really is a great place, history, culture etc..

russ said:
I cant see how if ibiza has a reputation for being a degenerate, dirty hole full of p!ssed up nutters and minger slappers how this is the fault of eg Space.

Because to Mondeo man us junkies are even worse than the boozing youngsters in San An.

The thing is though, buckers, most mondeo men don't even know about ibiza's place in 'clubbing history'. his impression of ibiza is of the 'uncovered' variety.

I think we underestimate how much the 'outside world' knows or cares about a few nightclubs.

a woman i know through work has a daughter who is working in ibz this summer. not in some skanky bar or selling pills but singing in the Thompson hotels of Es Canar and Calla Longa.
She went over to visit last month (with her husband). They were SHOCKED by how the island wasn't overrun with yobs on the rampage. They walked by Ibiza Town harbour at night and were astonished at how civilised it was. They found a lovely bar on the beach in Playa den Bossa which was playing nice happy music and full of (jackie's words) 'such infectious enthusiasm ':?:

But they did find the west end a bit grim

russ said:
The thing is though, buckers, most mondeo men don't even know about ibiza's place in 'clubbing history'. his impression of ibiza is of the 'uncovered' variety.

That's what I'm saying Russ ol' muckeroo. They hear that Ibiza is known for clubbing and see it as Faliraki from start to finish. To average man there is no distinction between Space and Sgt Peppers and if he knew the reality (or what he'd understand of it), he'd consider the island worse not better.

russ said:
They found a lovely bar on the beach in Playa den Bossa which was playing nice happy music and full of (jackie's words) 'such infectious enthusiasm ':?:

Missed this bit first time out but it illustrates the point that the problem is with perception not reality. Happy friendly dancing 'youngsters' - what's not to like? (Yes, Stephen, ok, for some the outsized shades and cockatiel haircuts :lol: are 'not to like'). But that's a reality they experienced.

But you've said they were shocked by it - their perception was different and that's enough to put most 'normal' people off.

Back