goodness gracious me. ibiza is dead!

My 5th time to Ibiza this year and for the first time I couldnt be arsed with the clubs. Had the money too but for me they are taking the piss out of hard working people. :evil:

Supply and demand, but from what I hear there aint no demand anymore? They have shafted themselves. Put ht eprices up to get maximum bucks from the masses and they cant afford to put them down now as the crowds are down BIG time!

Something needs to give, they will not survive on bei g the new St Tropez. Normal holiday makers can get holidays elsewhere for a lot cheaper and clubbers are turning away in their droves. What next???

Dirk Bigler said:
Supply and demand, but from what I hear there aint no demand anymore?

Photo of quinny_10000
CIMG2077.jpg

just come back and although i`ve never been before i would say it isnt as busy as i expected in the clubs - amnesia was ridiculous but the others were ok. The west end when we did venture down there was hit and miss one night it was packed a few nights later (fri night) it was not even half full in the bars. We werent going out til 12 some nights though, and i`m sure others were goin out even later.

We went to coastline and mambo around 3am in the morning and the places were empty, i was expecting more people to be honest, space terrace was packed on the sunday but inside was empty. bora bora was packed so perhaps people are spending more wisely ?

Either way its the busiest place i`ve ever been, and the bars must still be making a mint. A typical example of it being a rip off and them suffering is - on the first night me and a few mates were walking down by the egg and then walked along to the bottom of the west end main strip, a georgous looking girl asked us to go in her bar, down stairs by koppas i think, took us down there southern comfort and lemonade was 8 euros, with a free shot, the place was empty except for us and 2 other girls. Not suprised at that price when other bars in the west end were offering 3-4 drinks for 5 euros all in. We didnt do the west end much but i can see why people are complaining bout drink prices.

I agree that numbers certainly appear to be down this year in general, however history shows that any market e.g the housing market or the stockmarket will always have periods of sustained growth followed by either a steady levelling out or slight decline. Clubbing is no exception.

It's my opinion that numbers may have fallen slightly due to the fact that all the 'hangers-on' have now left the scene i.e those who went because they jumped on the media-propelled bandwagon of what they perceived as the 'cool' place to go / be seen.

Of course, the plus-side to this is that it has left room for the people like ourselves who have a genuine passion & love of the scene / island to keep on enjoying everything Ibiza has to offer without the 'pretenders' sucking all of the energy out of the place.

Let's not worry about a slight downturn, clubbing / Ibiza will always find a way to re-invent itself & in doing so will always remain true to its roots.

Increase the peace. ;)

Debbo

There are deffo less people going to Ibiza each year i have been there have been less and less people. But i think the clubbers are still going in nearly the same numbers they used to but the Beer Boys have got Valleraki & other places now with cheaper drinks and less hastle.

You can't blame them for going somewhere else really. But i don't think i will miss them, will you?

the problem in your argument debbo is that ibiza relies on a 7 or 8 month season to sustain its hotels, restaurants, bars, shops, and all other tourist related sources of income.

clubbers, whether pretend or true, only come for 3 months but give the island a year round bad reputation. hence trade in the early and later part of the season has dropped dramatically. (not just for this reason alone though)

the knock on effect of this is that hotels which have had few or no customers in the early season have closed. the extreme view of this is that there will be less and less places for people who want to come in july and august to stay and go.

that's why people are worried here.

Stephen - would you say that the amount of clubbers has dropped away in addition to regular holidaymakers, or the level of clubbers only slightly down, with the regular tourists numbers plummetting?

i really don't know. statistics don't delve that deeply into a person's habits, but tourist figures are well down from april to june. hotels in july were only 80% occupied and this figure is really really low.

the difficulty trying to book hotels is because the package tour companies haven't contracted so many beds as in previous years, hence if you go to a travel agent on the high street they will tell you ibiza is full because their allocation of beds has been sold.

the higher end of the market is still buoyant with our country hotels running at 100%.

stephen said:
i really don't know. statistics don't delve that deeply into a person's habits, but tourist figures are well down from april to june. hotels in july were only 80% occupied and this figure is really really low.

When we arrived at our apartments on the first Friday in June, they were closed. There was a sign on the door, addressed specifically to us re-directing us to nearby apartments they has booked us into.

We concluded that we had been the only booking, or one of very few, and that it hadn't been worth employing staff to open up yet. :cry:

Luckily, we were redirected to apartments we liked! :D

I hope it picks up again . I want to be going for years to come (both clubbing and non) and I like to see the island vibrant .

Does anyone know when visitor numbers where at there peak?

From my own recollection I think Id guess at 98. I seem to remember it being absolutely heaving everywhere. restaurants, clubs, bars, beaches, go-karts even!

stephen said:

Fact, or a general suggestion that Ibiza's tourism has been in decline since the advent of house and it's attendant baggage on the island El Steve?

Only ten years out.

It would have been interesting to see Ibiza in 88 and compare it to now.

wheres the Delorean....

it is a fact. however any statistician worth his salt would draw a conection between the arrival of oakenfold and the steady decline in numbers on the island!
i don't think it's as simple as that but.......

Wasn't an argument, was just relating a viewpoint & I realise that there are other reasons other than that. Ran out of time during my break to fully explain myself. ;)

Believe me, the last thing I want to see is the whole thing ruined.

to give some sort of comparison to the occupancy figures for ibiza, i've just written a story for the benidorm site saying that many hotels had to put up the no vacancy signs last week because they were full and in july the occupancy was running at 90% on average (and more in the 4 star hotels) in mallorca it's the same story with occupancy at 88%.
both mallorca and benidorm have had their image problems in the past but have turned this round with new developments, golf, theme parks, luxury developmnents which are attracting the type of holidaymakers that spend a wodge of money all across the economy.

I would say ibiza was at its best around 1999 just after the kevin and perry film. that film really showed people how good ibiza was and from watching the footage of them inside Amnesia i realised I just had to go to ibiza. i think we need Kevin and perry 2 to boost the numbers for next year :)

Back