good paella

Cala paella, i mean cala vadella has sone of the best paella on the island.. can sofia and maria something are two of the best.. might have the names wrong but easy to find..

Bali Beach, famous for its calderetas de bogavante... not there anymore, it's now a damn beach club!

Didn't go in but saw Bali Beach Club signs on the building that used to be Delano when I briefly waked past there. Did that new beach club just take over the former Delano premises then ?

Can Salinas has very good paella (but they're more famous for their Fideua).

Better to call them before going... not always open...

Is it possible to prepare a good paella in a normal sized pan (e.g. for 4 people) at all?

The reason I am asking is that I had some amazing paella at festivals, but it had always been prepared in a huge pan and then served portion wise.

I tried ordering "individual" paella at restaurants several times (served in a small pan) - it was never that good.

Never tried making one myself - to me, a good paella is one where the rice tastes right and has a rich "seafood" flavor itself, as if it had soaked in some flavor (and fat) from the meaty/fishy components. Not a slightest idea how to achieve that...

yes. one of spain's traditional rice dishes, made in a special pan called paella. it's an art to get it right and if you master it, it tastes amazing. mostly done on sundays with the family for late lunch (spanish people would never have it for dinner)
It sounds delightful!

Is there paella vegetariana? of course there is... I Googled it. How naïve of me to ask that. :D

It sounds delightful!

Is there paella vegetariana? of course there is... I Googled it. How naïve of me to ask that. :D

There definitely is paella vegetariana -- but it can be tough to find one that's good. Most of the ones I've tried, even in Spain, were rather disappointing. My guess is that because of how it's made, a restaurant really can't offer a dozen types of paella and make them all properly. And if a restaurant only offers a couple varieties, they're probably going to be meat and seafood varieties. I thought I might have better luck at a vegan restaurant in Madrid, but theirs wasn't great either.

I'm pretty much resigned to perfecting making my own -- though I have to get over the eye watering cost of saffron!

Back