Glastonbury 2011

Right, been flicking the coverage on and off the last two days, by a country mile the best act has been Chemical Brothers.. absolutely rocking yet BBC cut their set short to show some muppets no one has heard off.

Very annoyed.

I know im probably biased but it really does look like dance acts wipe the floor in terms of crowd atmosphere. I was switching between Coldplay and Chems and the coldplay crowd were mostly still or swaying slightly, while the Chems crowd was proper going off. Really good visuals too.

Would be interested to see if any of the spotlighters were there.

The BBC has to be seen to be fair to all styles/acts etc.
No-one is going to jump around to COldplay the same as the Chems!
The front of the Pyramid Stage is generally families & kids.

Despite the mud, it was fantastic again this year.

My mate was staying in one of these http://www.pennardorchard.co.uk/gallery.html

and quite frankly - its the ONLY way I would consider Glasto - the thought of not being properly bathed for 3+ days fills me with horror :(:(

I cant abide not feeling clean - can go without the makeup and straighteners but without a clean shower/nice toilets??? - never gonna happen!:oops:

My mate was staying in one of these http://www.pennardorchard.co.uk/gallery.html

and quite frankly - its the ONLY way I would consider Glasto - the thought of not being properly bathed for 3+ days fills me with horror :(:(

I cant abide not feeling clean - can go without the makeup and straighteners but without a clean shower/nice toilets??? - never gonna happen!:oops:

Kind of agree about the straighteners and make up - we did 4 days at Reading and by the end of it I was so greasy and dirty feeling I couldnt get home quick enough for a bath - I know that is the whole aspect of a festival but 3 days tops for me

Amazing, magical, emotional, inspiring, crazy, hedonistic, momental.... just a few words to describe my first Glasto. Quite simply the best thing I have ever done... and I've done a fair few Ibiza's / festivals in the last 10 years :D :D :D

I actually felt quite emotional leaving Glastonbury on Monday morning, and also got one of those moments on the Sunday evening as Beyonce finished where I just looked round at everything going on around me and just swelled with emotion thinking how f*cking lucky I was to have been there.

I could write about it all day, but the highlights for me were:

Beyonce closing the Pyramid stage - I wanted to finish the weekend with a bang, and boy what a performance... she absolutely killed it. From the fireworks / stage effects to her amazing vocals. The crowd were loving it and she looked so happy to be on that stage.

Marrying Jon in the Greenpeace field - we walked past a sign saying "get married here tomorrow" so we thought what the hell :lol: Took part in a mass wedding conducted by a priest who was camp as Christmas who sung "The Owl and the Pussycat" then performed the wedding rites :lol: watched by our friends. Sooo funny 8)

2 Bad Mice in Glade tent - First proper night (Thursday) and what better way to start it with some old skool hardcore. They rocked 8)

DJ Derek playing "I can See Clearly Now" in the Pussy Parlour... on our first sunny day at the festival. Just perfect 8)

Watching the sunrise in the Stone Circle on Sunday morning... beautiful and such a great way to finish the night off.

The whole of the Shangri - La. Never have I been to a club/event that's got so much production put into it. It was like stepping into another world, had some brilliant nights in here including Downlow, Arcadia and Kubicle.

Watching Pulp perform from our campsite - we were in Pennards Hill overlooking the Park stage, which had been closed because of the sheer amount of people in there. Luckily we could see and hear everything from our camp, so cracked open a can of cider and danced like a loon to Year 2000 from there :p:lol:

Tricky's carcrash performance in Beyonce's set - wtf was that about?? Too wasted or stage fright?? Hilarious! :lol:

The absence of any form of advertising in the festival, with the exception fo Oxfam and Greenpeace. Compared to some other sh1te festies with their Bacardi bars, Strongbow tents etc etc, this was a lovely change.

I could go on and on... the whole weekend was a highlight for me. Now excuse me I'm going off to have a little cry that it's over :cry: :twisted: :lol:

Amazing, magical, emotional, inspiring, crazy, hedonistic, momental.... just a few words to describe my first Glasto. Quite simply the best thing I have ever done... and I've done a fair few Ibiza's / festivals in the last 10 years :D :D :D

I actually felt quite emotional leaving Glastonbury on Monday morning, and also got one of those moments on the Sunday evening as Beyonce finished where I just looked round at everything going on around me and just swelled with emotion thinking how f*cking lucky I was to have been there.

I could write about it all day, but the highlights for me were:

Beyonce closing the Pyramid stage - I wanted to finish the weekend with a bang, and boy what a performance... she absolutely killed it. From the fireworks / stage effects to her amazing vocals. The crowd were loving it and she looked so happy to be on that stage.

Marrying Jon in the Greenpeace field - we walked past a sign saying "get married here tomorrow" so we thought what the hell :lol: Took part in a mass wedding conducted by a priest who was camp as Christmas who sung "The Owl and the Pussycat" then performed the wedding rites :lol: watched by our friends. Sooo funny 8)

2 Bad Mice in Glade tent - First proper night (Thursday) and what better way to start it with some old skool hardcore. They rocked 8)

DJ Derek playing "I can See Clearly Now" in the Pussy Parlour... on our first sunny day at the festival. Just perfect 8)

Watching the sunrise in the Stone Circle on Sunday morning... beautiful and such a great way to finish the night off.

The whole of the Shangri - La. Never have I been to a club/event that's got so much production put into it. It was like stepping into another world, had some brilliant nights in here including Downlow, Arcadia and Kubicle.

Watching Pulp perform from our campsite - we were in Pennards Hill overlooking the Park stage, which had been closed because of the sheer amount of people in there. Luckily we could see and hear everything from our camp, so cracked open a can of cider and danced like a loon to Year 2000 from there :p:lol:

Tricky's carcrash performance in Beyonce's set - wtf was that about?? Too wasted or stage fright?? Hilarious! :lol:

The absence of any form of advertising in the festival, with the exception fo Oxfam and Greenpeace. Compared to some other sh1te festies with their Bacardi bars, Strongbow tents etc etc, this was a lovely change.

I could go on and on... the whole weekend was a highlight for me. Now excuse me I'm going off to have a little cry that it's over :cry: :twisted: :lol:

That is awesome!!!

Mind.Bendingly.Awesome. 8)

I think I experienced every kind of emotion last weekend from utter despair (stood up for 4 hours in the queue on Wednesday morning in the mud not being able to put anything down :eek: ) to sheer off-the-scale euphoria without any chemical assistance! (U2 three rows from the front and getting our little flag on the telly :lol:)

Other highlights:-
Chemical Brothers going off
Ditching Beyonce to catch the end of QOTSA (She just didn't do it for me - I was too tired to stand there and listen to her sing happy birthday, and that Prince / Kings of Leon cover - I needed some faster beats per minute to get me through those final hours!)
Getting it lit in the Beat Hotel at 18:00 on Thursday (anyone tell me who was playing then as it only says 'special guests' on the programme?)
Finding Strummerville after 2 failed attempts
The Rap Grannies riding their trollies through the Circus Field
Bongos in the sunshine by the stone circle
The husband meeting his hero Bez (but being too chicken to ask for a photo :lol:)

All I can say is it's not for the faint hearted.

And has anyone else got the airport lounge music loop stuck in their head from Shangri La? :spank:

Brilliant! Congratulations 8)

Feel like a pregnant salmon swimming upstream! :lol:

It was such hard work!! I have leg muscles akin to those that I grow on a snowboarding holiday :lol:

I think I saw you on Sunday Rob striding past Bourbon Street Bar but I was too shy to say hello :oops:

The BBC has to be seen to be fair to all styles/acts etc.
No-one is going to jump around to COldplay the same as the Chems!
The front of the Pyramid Stage is generally families & kids.

Despite the mud, it was fantastic again this year.

Fair enough, but I still would rather see more live coverage of the dance acts than they actually show.

From all the coverage I saw (which was a fair bit) there was only about 30 mins of the chemical brothers and 20 mins of Pendulum.

Glad you had a good time.

Didn't like either.

Really over that stupid 'hey boys, hey girls' thing. :rolleyes:

Never liked the chems. Saw them in 97 and they were pants then. (good visuals from up on the hill though.)

Controversially even preferred that DeadFerre5t music in Viccy Park. :eek:

If you're gonna put techno on a main stage - do it properly like universe used to in 92 - Producer and Tanith banging out Belgian gabber to a cast of thousands. :lol:

Cant decide what to do next year?? some friends want to do Big Chill some bestival, I love global (mates not so keen for some reason) what are recommendations happy uk or overseas??

:)
Cant decide what to do next year?? some friends want to do Big Chill some bestival, I love global (mates not so keen for some reason) what are recommendations happy uk or overseas??

Overseas definitly !! After going to Exit i will never ever go to GK or Creamfields again, although I'm open to the others such as Glasto, Bestival etc etc

I'm in for Garden (Croatia) next year and anywhere they take the NYC Downlow.

Possibly Burning Man and Southport also.

Back