Getting to/from Ibiza latest info

Is today the latest update from the Baleric government in regards to entry requirements? I spotted that even if you own property and need to check on it, that isn't a suitable rationale for being allowed into Ibiza from the UK...is this still the case? @stivi - any chance you know the rules on this?

Is today the latest update from the Baleric government in regards to entry requirements? I spotted that even if you own property and need to check on it, that isn't a suitable rationale for being allowed into Ibiza from the UK...is this still the case? @stivi - any chance you know the rules on this?

AFAIK you may enter the balearics coming from the UK now as long as you present a negative PCR test. the perimetral closure has been lifted a while ago already. but of course you'll have to quarantine when going back to the UK, but that's the UK's rules, not spain's.

AFAIK you may enter the balearics coming from the UK now as long as you present a negative PCR test. the perimetral closure has been lifted a while ago already. but of course you'll have to quarantine when going back to the UK, but that's the UK's rules, not spain's.

Is there anywhere that states this officially?

The FCO website doesn't seem so positive:

Those individuals who are permitted entry into Spain from the UK are listed below:

• Habitual residents of the European Union, Schengen States, Andorra, Monaco, The Vatican (Holy See) or San Marino; who are travelling to their country of residence and can duly accredit their residence status with documentary evidence. For further information on documents accepted as proof of residence in Spain, see Additional requirements for UK nationals resident in Spain.
  • Holders of a long-stay visa issued by a Member State or Schengen Associated State, who are travelling onto said country.
  • Health professionals, including health researchers, and elderly care professionals who are going to or returning from essential work.
  • Transport personnel, seafarers and aeronautical personnel.
  • Diplomatic, consular, international organizations, military, civil protection and members of humanitarian organizations.
  • Students enrolled in courses starting after 1 January 2021 who carry out their studies in an EU Member or Schengen state and who have the corresponding permit or visa and medical insurance, provided that they are travelling to the country where they are studying, and that entry occurs during the academic year or 15 days previous. Students who started an on-site or in-person course in Spain prior to 1 January 2021 will not require a permit or visa to enter, but should be prepared to provide evidence of this, such as a residence document or proof of enrolment and accommodation (dated prior to 1 January 2021)
  • Highly skilled essential workers whose work cannot be postponed or carried out remotely, including participants in high-level sports events due to take place in Spain
  • People travelling for imperative family reasons who can demonstrate an essential need to travel. For this category, you should check with the Spanish consulate in the UK for further advice before travelling.
All of the circumstances above must be justified by documentary evidence. You should check with the Spanish consulate in the UK if you are unsure whether your circumstances meet the current exemptions and for further information. You should be aware that you may be questioned on arrival by Spanish border authorities to ensure you meet the entry requirements.

Testing requirements continue to apply for travel to Spain. See Testing requirements for details.

Additional requirements for UK nationals resident in Spain​

The Spanish government has formally confirmed to the UK government that UK nationals who were legally residing in Spain before 1 January 2021, and as such are beneficiaries of the Withdrawal Agreement, can use any of the following documents to prove their residence status when entering Spain:

• Residence card issued under Article 18.4 of the Withdrawal Agreement (the TIE – Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero)
  • Temporary or permanent EU residence certificate (Certificado de Registro de Ciudadanos de la Unión)
  • Receipt of application for the TIE (Resguardo de presentación de la solicitud de la tarjeta de residencia)
  • Confirmation of the positive outcome of your residence application (Resolución favorable por la que se concede la tarjeta de residencia)
  • In the absence of any of the above, other documents that credibly evidence your legal residence in Spain before 1 January 2021, such as a padrón certificate (issued by your town hall), a work contract, a rental contract, or proof of property purchase may be presented. However, due to current travel restrictions, be aware that you may be questioned on arrival by Spanish border authorities to ensure you meet the legal entry requirements. Spanish border authorities will only grant entry if they are satisfied that you are returning to Spain to your habitual place of residence or can demonstrate an essential reason to enter (see ‘Permitted reasons to enter Spain’), and reserve the right to deny passage.

Is there anywhere that states this officially?

The FCO website doesn't seem so positive:

Those individuals who are permitted entry into Spain from the UK are listed below:

• Habitual residents of the European Union, Schengen States, Andorra, Monaco, The Vatican (Holy See) or San Marino; who are travelling to their country of residence and can duly accredit their residence status with documentary evidence. For further information on documents accepted as proof of residence in Spain, see Additional requirements for UK nationals resident in Spain.
  • Holders of a long-stay visa issued by a Member State or Schengen Associated State, who are travelling onto said country.
  • Health professionals, including health researchers, and elderly care professionals who are going to or returning from essential work.
  • Transport personnel, seafarers and aeronautical personnel.
  • Diplomatic, consular, international organizations, military, civil protection and members of humanitarian organizations.
  • Students enrolled in courses starting after 1 January 2021 who carry out their studies in an EU Member or Schengen state and who have the corresponding permit or visa and medical insurance, provided that they are travelling to the country where they are studying, and that entry occurs during the academic year or 15 days previous. Students who started an on-site or in-person course in Spain prior to 1 January 2021 will not require a permit or visa to enter, but should be prepared to provide evidence of this, such as a residence document or proof of enrolment and accommodation (dated prior to 1 January 2021)
  • Highly skilled essential workers whose work cannot be postponed or carried out remotely, including participants in high-level sports events due to take place in Spain
  • People travelling for imperative family reasons who can demonstrate an essential need to travel. For this category, you should check with the Spanish consulate in the UK for further advice before travelling.
All of the circumstances above must be justified by documentary evidence. You should check with the Spanish consulate in the UK if you are unsure whether your circumstances meet the current exemptions and for further information. You should be aware that you may be questioned on arrival by Spanish border authorities to ensure you meet the entry requirements.

Testing requirements continue to apply for travel to Spain. See Testing requirements for details.

Additional requirements for UK nationals resident in Spain​

The Spanish government has formally confirmed to the UK government that UK nationals who were legally residing in Spain before 1 January 2021, and as such are beneficiaries of the Withdrawal Agreement, can use any of the following documents to prove their residence status when entering Spain:

• Residence card issued under Article 18.4 of the Withdrawal Agreement (the TIE – Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero)
  • Temporary or permanent EU residence certificate (Certificado de Registro de Ciudadanos de la Unión)
  • Receipt of application for the TIE (Resguardo de presentación de la solicitud de la tarjeta de residencia)
  • Confirmation of the positive outcome of your residence application (Resolución favorable por la que se concede la tarjeta de residencia)
  • In the absence of any of the above, other documents that credibly evidence your legal residence in Spain before 1 January 2021, such as a padrón certificate (issued by your town hall), a work contract, a rental contract, or proof of property purchase may be presented. However, due to current travel restrictions, be aware that you may be questioned on arrival by Spanish border authorities to ensure you meet the legal entry requirements. Spanish border authorities will only grant entry if they are satisfied that you are returning to Spain to your habitual place of residence or can demonstrate an essential reason to enter (see ‘Permitted reasons to enter Spain’), and reserve the right to deny passage.

I'm trying to find a link, but I believe right now being a house owner would be sufficient and from 17th may ownards you don't need a 'reason' anymore and simply have to quarantine on return?

ok this here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus says from 17th may onwards you may leave the UK for holidays without presenting a 'reason'.

as ibiza will still be on the amber list then, you simply have to quarantine on return. plus obvs you will need a PCR test to get into spain and on return to the UK as well.

so I think in a week's time you'll be fine travelling.

ok this here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus says from 17th may onwards you may leave the UK for holidays without presenting a 'reason'.

as ibiza will still be on the amber list then, you simply have to quarantine on return. plus obvs you will need a PCR test to get into spain and on return to the UK as well.

so I think in a week's time you'll be fine travelling.

Thanks @stivi its more the regulations from the Balearic government. I'm confident the UK government will 'let us travel' it's more will we be actually allowed in as we are no longer Habitual residents of the European Union or Schengen States. I can't find anything that says from the 17th onward if UK citizens will be allowed into Ibiza as right now we can't without extenuating circumstances.

Wow !!

Thanks @stivi its more the regulations from the Balearic government. I'm confident the UK government will 'let us travel' it's more will we be actually allowed in as we are no longer Habitual residents of the European Union or Schengen States. I can't find anything that says from the 17th onward if UK citizens will be allowed into Ibiza as right now we can't without extenuating circumstances.

That was my understanding too, I thought Spain was still closed to (non-EU) Brits unless they were habitually resident there until the end of May / beginning of June.

Wow !!

That was my understanding too, I thought Spain was still closed to (non-EU) Brits unless they were habitually resident there until the end of May / beginning of June.
Yes, Spain is off-limits except for essential travel. How that will be policed I don't know, what happens if you do travel to Spain, they let you in after tests, and you have a holiday and then return home (UK)?

Our travel advice (Amber) says we can't go...but on the other hand once airborne it looks like the Spanish will let us in? Do we have to prove to the airline that our trip is "essential"?

In Spain its residential only at the moment but in June will open up to non essential travellers...was meant to be may but they postponed it to June

Yeah so basically Brits won't get let in unless they're residents from 17th May until the Spanish entry rules are relaxed at the end of the month. Amber or green on UK list doesn't make any difference if you're turned away at check-in or on arrival in Spain.

Yeah so basically Brits won't get let in unless they're residents from 17th May until the Spanish entry rules are relaxed at the end of the month. Amber or green on UK list doesn't make any difference if you're turned away at check-in or on arrival in Spain.

I have a feeling this might change still and the spanish will allow UK citizens in from 17th onwards too. I might be wrong of course.

Just being pedantic, could someone travel to Portugal (green) and pop over the border into Spain? Are there checks? Not saying many tourists would want to do that, but some Brits who have family close to the border (Sevilla is the nearest large city)might see that as a way round? Normally the border is fully open and unstaffed (Schengen).

I have a feeling this might change still and the spanish will allow UK citizens in from 17th onwards too. I might be wrong of course.
If so that raises my question, if Spain's open to tourists, how can the British government stop us going? One way, of course, is to make insurance invalid as the foreign office advice is not to tavel unnecessarily.

Yes, Spain is off-limits except for essential travel. How that will be policed I don't know, what happens if you do travel to Spain, they let you in after tests, and you have a holiday and then return home (UK)?

Our travel advice (Amber) says we can't go...but on the other hand once airborne it looks like the Spanish will let us in? Do we have to prove to the airline that our trip is "essential"?
It’s only the Passenger Locator Form that will indicate where you have been. Draw your own conclusions from that.

I'll put something in the coronavirus updates thread later too, but it's indeed true that as per today, UK citizens can only enter spain with a very good reason. but various people I spoke to think that by 17th may this will also be reversed - obviously TBC.

The Daily Telegraph is reporting that Spain , Italy and France will not be changed to 'green' in the next review of travel criterial on w/c 7th June. Hopefully its paper talk and they are wrong (again!).

The Daily Telegraph is reporting that Spain , Italy and France will not be changed to 'green' in the next review of travel criterial on w/c 7th June. Hopefully its paper talk and they are wrong (again!).

The issue here is that a wait of 3 weeks in between reviews for England then another week until the changes come into effect (4 weeks in between reviews for Scotland) is essentially another month wiped off the season.

Last edited:
Back