Getting Robbed In Ibiza!!!!!!!!!

not sure if it's really made the news elsewhere (I think the BBC ran a feature) but BCN has been total crime-central this summer. There are actual groups now on FB where residents identify pickpockets on the metro and share footage. Ethically very dicey... esp if you get the wrong guy and it can get a bit vigilante (there are actual 'Guardian Angels' on patrol with whistles!!) but that's what happens when the system breaks down. I like to think it isn't that bad on the islands!

Wow. Think I would find that just too stressful to live with. Paranoid about getting stuff pinched at the best of times, the few times it's happened I've got very upset by it. Got pick-pocketed on a bus in Monaco after boozy pre-lunch with some clients once, and lost all my cards and wallet. Had no spare and suffice to say was very embarassing - just as well I was staying in the guy's flat and not a hotel, as I wouldn't have been able to pay the bill ! It's only ever happened when I've had no sleep for 2+ days and/or been intoxicated. The latter doesn't happen any more but the former does on occasion !

We're really terrible in Dubai, in general things just don't get stolen here. Cars left unlocked, bags/laptops etc left on coffee shop tables while you go to the toilet etc. We have to remind ourself every single holiday that we need to be extra careful

Literally La La Land compared to the world outside. Bet it's the same in Saudi with the threat of them having their hands cut off ! Must be a massive shock.

Not worrying all the time about my shit getting stolen or my house getting broken into is part of the reason why its so pleasant to live here :)

I know a whole family that nearly got deported because of a stupid cousin who decided to take a car for a spin pissed and crashed into some local person..

I know a whole family that nearly got deported because of a stupid cousin who decided to take a car for a spin pissed and crashed into some local person..

I'm not sure thats the UAE's fault. Step 1...don't crash your car into a local ? shock.
There's loves and hates here, but the low crime rate is definitely a plus point

I don't think it's because they don't care - this is a national problem and has been a big issue in Barcelona but the police are restricted by the law. If a thief steals under 200€ (or 400€?) then they pay a fine and get released. This is really frustrating for everyone and means the police become apathetic because their hands are tied..

A friend of my had his 10k rolex sea dweller snatched of his wrist on our visit back in June. He was drunk and i guess easy pickings. They had vanished into the crowd within seconds. Managed to claw back a chunk of it through his home insurance but still hugely out of pocket. Anywhere tourists go i imagine will be exactly the same. Gutted for him as he booked a flight home the next morning. Impossible to enjoy yourself after that.

A friend of my had his 10k rolex sea dweller snatched of his wrist on our visit back in June. He was drunk and i guess easy pickings. They had vanished into the crowd within seconds. Managed to claw back a chunk of it through his home insurance but still hugely out of pocket. Anywhere tourists go i imagine will be exactly the same. Gutted for him as he booked a flight home the next morning. Impossible to enjoy yourself after that.

real shitter - hope you had fun in BCN otherwise?

We're really terrible in Dubai, in general things just don't get stolen here. Cars left unlocked, bags/laptops etc left on coffee shop tables while you go to the toilet etc. We have to remind ourself every single holiday that we need to be extra careful
I used to know a guy who lived over there. Was quite bad at losing his car keys. His solution was to always leave the keys in the car ignition!

Wow. Think I would find that just too stressful to live with. Paranoid about getting stuff pinched at the best of times, the few times it's happened I've got very upset by it. Got pick-pocketed on a bus in Monaco after boozy pre-lunch with some clients once, and lost all my cards and wallet. Had no spare and suffice to say was very embarassing - just as well I was staying in the guy's flat and not a hotel, as I wouldn't have been able to pay the bill ! It's only ever happened when I've had no sleep for 2+ days and/or been intoxicated. The latter doesn't happen any more but the former does on occasion !

Literally La La Land compared to the world outside. Bet it's the same in Saudi with the threat of them having their hands cut off ! Must be a massive shock.
In Monaco, really ??? ???

I travel solo frequently which means leaving stuff on the beach if I want a swim, so I take just enough cash to last the day, cheap phone, decent earphones (!) and a debit card with next to sod all on it (top it up daily via the bank's app); everything else left in the hotel room safe (probably the most unsafe place, but at least insured!) and use one of those straps you can swim with - so if they nick my bag and take my dinner that's all they get; although there's the prospect of them disappearing and leaving me without any clothes at all!!

A big group of us went in the summer of 2011. One of my pals got separated from the group and later came back to the hotel saying he was robbed of his wallet and phone on San an beach at knife point. Me and my friend went looking for the fella to no avail. God knows why as i was in my early twenties and about 7 stone wet through at the time :lol: I also got pick pocketed of my phone down the west end outside a takeaway in the summer of 2015. Vultures everywhere. Only positive is that I'm very careful these days. Bastards won't get me again. (I say tempting fate as I'm going Wednesday)

Back