garage music???

*Saffy* said:
... Until we moved into this house proper we used to have garage music, cos that's where we plugged the cd player in whilst cleaning the house ..... we NOW however, have HOUSE music having moved the cd player from said garage INTO the house!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm still confused, I don't know if it's like happy/vocal house, or like europop or eurotrance. Is garage any of these?

Mark Sun said:
UK Garage has the dubious honour of being the only kind of music I can not listen to.

not a bad choice actually...

to add to the a-z list

e) you must have a very small mind and large wallet, flash car (BMW 3 series, black out windows) and loads attitude...

happy/vocal house - Think Hed Kandi - esp Disco Heaven CDs

or like europop or eurotrance. - Think Dave Pearce, Anything on NuLife, Ministry of Sound Annuals 98/99 onwards...

Is garage any of these? - nope - think loadsa gold and the need to show off yr weath in the most unsubtle manner... Albums to Buy - any "the best RnB album in the world ever... VOL whatever"... (covers usually has scantly clad women in bikinis, draped over a car (BMW, MErc, Usually silver) looking mean... with some guy looking even meaner standing next to her...)

heres some links for examples.

US HOUSE & GARAGE
http://www.htfr.com/more-info/?catno=MR126668

EUROTRANCE/POP (Cheese)
http://www.htfr.com/more-info/?catno=MR126630

UK GARAGE
http://www.htfr.com/more-info/?catno=MR127302

just picked at random, hope this helps - i get confused with genres anyways!

ok, thanks! :)
More clear now.

So, eurotrance/europop is exactly what I thought it was (real cheese as you think hehehe). It's very common in Spanish kids. They call them 'dance' or 'cantaditas'. And they usually have a videoclip with a pretty girl singing in beautiful sceneries with trance background music.

I've listened to some UK Garage tunes in that website you told me. It sounds like a mix of R&B and drum & bass. Not my cup of tea. And not very common in Spain.

And as for the US Garage, I've listened to some tunes too in that website, and some sound like happy/vocal funky-house, and other ones like relaxed and sometimes afro deep house. Most of the ones I've listened are good, but I like this type of music on warm-up, sitting in a bar or terrace and chatting with friends with that music on the background. Cos I find it very uplifting at the beginning of the night (afterwards I prefer a wilder house/tech-house or techno).

TigerVlc said:
I've listened to some UK Garage tunes in that website you told me. It sounds like a mix of R&B and drum & bass. Not my cup of tea. And not very common in Spain.

Thank fu*k for that!

yr welcome... u should come to UK and visit us all at a So... event... :D

Even the Dreem Team don't play UK Garage any more and they used to be the biggest ambassadors of it, their sunday night Radio 1 show is just soulful House now and - shock - worth a listen!
I think the whole guns and So Solid Crew thing killed it off thank god.

So The Streets are what you call 2 Step?
I wouldn't listen to them when clubbing but I do like them in relaxed situations. And I love that cockney accent. ;)

TigerVlc said:
So The Streets are what you call 2 Step?
I wouldn't listen to them when clubbing but I do like them in relaxed situations. And I love that cockney accent. ;)

hey, how are ya? :D

Yeh guys don't confuse UK garage with real garage. Real garage is what people call US garage and is basically what lots of british people called the disco housey stuff that came out of New york in the mid eighties from legendary places like the Paradise Garage which inturn gave birth to the name. No sooner had this New York scene kicked off when underground clubs in Chicago stole the limelight and started to develop this sound further. Historic clubs like the Music Box and the Warehouse(the club that gave birth to the name HOUSE) in Chicago took this movement moved from a mere celebration of the good old days of disco, aimed at gay black men right through to a global dance phenomenon called house music which brought gay/stright and white/black people together. Over the years House has then given birth to hardcore, techno, happy hardcore, trance, drum and bass e.t.c. but most recently this silly 2 step thing that some un-imaginative mother funker decided to call UK garage. I can't believe that someone could be so stuck for a name that they stick the letters UK infront of something that already existed and said "brilliant, that'll do". W*nkers the lot of them. And do you know what p*sses me off even more, most of these little wanna be gangsta rude-boy tw*ts that were into UK garage a few years ago are now all into RnB and hip pop purely because the media says they should be. Surely if you're really into a style of music then it is for life and all these muppets who have suddenly changed allegiance to RnB have quite simply proved that they were never into UK garage in the first place, they were just into the "scene" that went with it. And if you want my opinion on the "SCENE" then here goes: Anti social backing, violence and gun promoting and US youth culture supporting B*ll SH*T. Oh did I mention that on top of all that UK Garage is just a load of un-musical EXCREMENT.

kn1980 said:
Yeh guys don't confuse UK garage with real garage. Real garage is what people call US garage and is basically what lots of british people called the disco housey stuff that came out of New york in the mid eighties from legendary places like the Paradise Garage which inturn gave birth to the name. No sooner had this New York scene kicked off when underground clubs in Chicago stole the limelight and started to develop this sound further. Historic clubs like the Music Box and the Warehouse(the club that gave birth to the name HOUSE) in Chicago took this movement moved from a mere celebration of the good old days of disco, aimed at gay black men right through to a global dance phenomenon called house music which brought gay/stright and white/black people together. Over the years House has then given birth to hardcore, techno, happy hardcore, trance, drum and bass e.t.c. but most recently this silly 2 step thing that some un-imaginative mother funker decided to call UK garage. I can't believe that someone could be so stuck for a name that they stick the letters UK infront of something that already existed and said "brilliant, that'll do". W*nkers the lot of them. And do you know what p*sses me off even more, most of these little wanna be gangsta rude-boy tw*ts that were into UK garage a few years ago are now all into RnB and hip pop purely because the media says they should be. Surely if you're really into a style of music then it is for life and all these muppets who have suddenly changed allegiance to RnB have quite simply proved that they were never into UK garage in the first place, they were just into the "scene" that went with it. And if you want my opinion on the "SCENE" then here goes: Anti social backing, violence and gun promoting and US youth culture supporting B*ll SH*T. Oh did I mention that on top of all that UK Garage is just a load of un-musical EXCREMENT.

well said mate!

Back