Formentera advice

A guy l know posted this. So need to pay a visit next time!

We have been here a few times. They moved it from the back against the cliff face a few years back to where it is now. Was far more rustic before but still a great place to hang out.

Kiosk 62 on playa mighorn is even better. They turn the lights off around 10ish and on a clear night the stars light the sky up and the milky way is so visible. Magical stuff.

OK, it looks like this year will finaly be the year we'll make it to Formentera... so I'd like to know is it realy (and I mean REALY) dangerous to swim from the north end of Formentera to Espalmador? I'm not a professionnal swimmer but I can easely cross a 2 km lake (I do it every summer 4 to 5 times).

Some readings suggesting it cant be done, but some people are also scared of COVID 19..., so I have a feeling they are just trying to discourage people to be 100 % safe and not being sued.

Somebody ever did it here?

Somebody ever died attempting it?

Is it prohibited by Law?

Thanks

Last edited:
OK, it looks like this year will finaly be the year we'll make it to Formentera... so I'd like to know is it realy (and I mean REALY) dangerous to swim from the north end of Formentera to Espalmador? I'm not a professionnal swimmer but I can easely cross a 2 km lake (I do it every summer 4 to 5 times).

Some readings suggesting it cant be done, but some people are also scared of COVID 19..., so I have a feeling they are just trying to discourage people to be 100 % safe and not being sued.

Is it prohibited by Law?

Thanks

People do it, but I wouldnt. Sea currents can change... and you dont want to get caught out, especially if you are swimming with your lady. Remember, you gotta get there AND back!

There is a day boat that will take you there for a few hours, with multiple pickup times. There was also an aquabus excursion that drops you off for like 8 hours. I did the later in 2018 and we roasted (and I love the sun). There are no trees. Take a beach-tent and 3x as much water as normal.

You still trying to go in July, right?

Is it prohibited by Law?

Thanks

it's not prohibited. we've done it once a few years ago.

if the conditions are perfect, you can actually walk/wade over rather than to swim. on a quiet day (without wind and waves) and avoiding high tide, the water is only chest high (for an adult). the mediterranean hasn't got much of tidal difference, it's only half a meter difference usually, but it still exists and in this specific case it actually matters quite a bit.

keep in mind, for this to work the conditions need to be ideal. if it's windy, there will be waves which will make it uncomfy. if you don't hit low tide you'll have to swim and as @CasaNegron correctly said, there can always be currents (in the end it's a small strait and those are prone to currents) so it definitely shouldn't be underestimated. we wanted to do it a few times over the past few years but only once we were lucky with the conditions, the other three times it didn't look safe.

it's not prohibited. we've done it once a few years ago.

if the conditions are perfect, you can actually walk/wade over rather than to swim. on a quiet day (without wind and waves) and avoiding high tide, the water is only chest high (for an adult). the mediterranean hasn't got much of tidal difference, it's only half a meter difference usually, but it still exists and in this specific case it actually matters quite a bit.

keep in mind, for this to work the conditions need to be ideal. if it's windy, there will be waves which will make it uncomfy. if you don't hit low tide you'll have to swim and as @CasaNegron correctly said, there can always be currents (in the end it's a small strait and those are prone to currents) so it definitely shouldn't be underestimated. we wanted to do it a few times over the past few years but only once we were lucky with the conditions, the other three times it didn't look safe.
There have always been a sign, that your not allowed to walk/swim to Espalmador

Is it prohibited by Law?

Thanks

There is no way you can sue them.

Think it's around 16e for the return ferry from La Savina, leaving you a few hours on Espalmador; there are no facilities there and no shade (take your own parasols, none are available) but worth it for the solitude and great swimming. Er, that's if party boats don't park up by the beach :-(

I've never tried the cross-channel walk, but seen dozens do that!

Back