Formentera advice

I once did it in july - never again because by then it was just too hot and in formentera you've got zero shade along the road. so I'd decide depending on temperatures in june...
good call, we will play it by ear.. however keep in mind hot is relative, it is 30 celsius outside my office window today and its only March. :lol:

good call, we will play it by ear.. however keep in mind hot is relative, it is 30 celsius outside my office window today and its only March. :lol:

yeah but you just said it yourself - you're most likely sat in your office in the shade (and I guess with aircon), not cycling in the sun! :)

yeah but you just said it yourself - you're most likely sat in your office in the shade (and I guess with aircon), not cycling in the sun! :)
True, I am nice and comfy, but I do venture out daily. It is a different kind of heat, there it seems drier and less humid, and saps the energy a bit less.

In 2010, we didnt rent a car and lost track of time at Cala Conta. The sun stays out so long there, we thought it was earlier. After realizing no taxi were circulating to Sunset Ashram, we decided to walk... we did about an hour of walking (maybe 5 miles), before we made it to an intersection and hailed a cab. Besides a thorn in my flip-flop, we were ok for the heat. Granted it was 5/6pm, so we missed the hottest part of the day.That said, it will be baby-steps with the bikes, so no tours of the whole island.

That reminds me, do you do your hikes/ walks in the summer or keep it to the spring/fall?

Just a quick note about passenger ferries to Formentera; last year if you turned up at the Balearia ferry ticket office and were prepared to go on the car ferry they offered you 20e return including a free drink. Now, no idea whether a similar thing's available this year, but this ticket can't be booked this cheaply on their site, so if you can't get a similar on-line deal it may be worth simply turning up on the day and seeing if it is.

If it isn't you then have the option of going to the next booth to book an Aquabus day return which is around 20e each; and their little ferries take about the same time and leave from the same quay. But the car ferry's more luxurious, has a sun-deck and a bar.

Note - sometimes the car ferry departs from across the harbour but don't panic, there's a special bus available to take you the 5-minute ride. It waits behind the ticket office and is clearly marked, and leaves about 10' before the ferry. **Watch it go from somewhere else this year now that's been written!!!**

Reactions: Liv
Just a quick note about passenger ferries to Formentera; last year if you turned up at the Balearia ferry ticket office and were prepared to go on the car ferry they offered you 20e return including a free drink. Now, no idea whether a similar thing's available this year, but this ticket can't be booked this cheaply on their site, so if you can't get a similar on-line deal it may be worth simply turning up on the day and seeing if it is.

If it isn't you then have the option of going to the next booth to book an Aquabus day return which is around 20e each; and their little ferries take about the same time and leave from the same quay. But the car ferry's more luxurious, has a sun-deck and a bar.

Note - sometimes the car ferry departs from across the harbour but don't panic, there's a special bus available to take you the 5-minute ride. It waits behind the ticket office and is clearly marked, and leaves about 10' before the ferry. **Watch it go from somewhere else this year now that's been written!!!**
Gonna reply to my own post - been looking at the timetables for May and this particular ferry seems to have been removed. I have contacted Balearia and they said they would get back to me - no reason given but I suspect it may be ferry maintanence; can't see them removing the ferry entirely due to the size of vehicles it can take.

planning on a day trip to Formentera, anyone done it recently, wondering how to get from port to main beach, how often buses are , how much buses are, thanks :) This time next week, will be sat round the pool :)

planning on a day trip to Formentera, anyone done it recently, wondering how to get from port to main beach, how often buses are , how much buses are, thanks :) This time next week, will be sat round the pool :)

I have the same doubt... I don't know driving, so i can't get a scooter...
Is it close the place where the ferries leave us and the Ses Illetes?

I have the same doubt... I don't know driving, so i can't get a scooter...
Is it close the place where the ferries leave us and the Ses Illetes?

I would taking recommend a taxi. they have fixed prices in formentera. from the port of la savina you can walk to ses illetes but if you go in the full summer heat it will be a tough walk - takes around 45mins I would say. depends on how fast you move of course. bring lots of water and a hat if you decide walking. I have done it before but I am really used to long walks.

I would taking recommend a taxi. they have fixed prices in formentera. from the port of la savina you can walk to ses illetes but if you go in the full summer heat it will be a tough walk - takes around 45mins I would say. depends on how fast you move of course. bring lots of water and a hat if you decide walking. I have done it before but I am really used to long walks.

Ahhh you mean is about 45 minutes from port of la savina (place where ferries leave us) to Ses Illetes?
That good.
The other option is to get a taxi, right? do u know how much the average?

Ahhh you mean is about 45 minutes from port of la savina (place where ferries leave us) to Ses Illetes?
That good.
The other option is to get a taxi, right? do u know how much the average?
That's the most expensive taxi ride in the hole of spain, by distance. It's been on national spanish tv.

Last edited:
My girlfriend and i last hired bikes and cycled to ses illetes last july. was perfect .Some water in the basket. only took 15-20 mins

If you cycle or take a scooter make sure you don't forget sunglasses. Because of the dirt road areas you get blinded by thick dust every time a car goes past. Speaking from personal experience !

Back