Flights to Ibiza

I went on a AI package holiday with them last in 2016 after I probably used them for 4 years solid 18-30s between 2006-2009. My experience was not good. Complained and got a paltry offer of a £25 discount off next booking which I told them they could stick where the sun doesn't shine. They had the gall to call me the next year asking if I'd made holiday plans. I very smugly told them to do one and advised against anybody booking with them ever since.

Still sad that people are losing jobs and people's holidays are being affected, but I'm not surprised. Non-existent customer service.

I'd do that. Someone like FlyBE could have a go, they have smaller aircraft, although in today's conditions I would think far too risky.

Well you always have Netjets if you can get enough people together but it comes at a very high cost. Or just fly British Airways Club Europe from Heathrow or Gatwick and you already get all that. It's just that seat pitch on short haul flights has always been stingy in premium cabins. As far back as I can remember, and I used to fly club all the time "back in the day" !

They didn't adapt... They provided a service that only old people who didn't have access to the internet would use.
Blaming brexit and a hot summer in the UK is a pretty damn poor excuse to fail. It just shows that they were hanging on the brink considering their size

Jet2 found a market and are doing well with package deals and mainly in my opinion because they took to being an online travel agency and offered a deposit to secure your package holiday.

Agree. Would also say Jet2 seem to go to more 2* hotels when Thomas Cook and Tui have gone more upmarket over the last decade, there is a still big market for basic accomodation. Not everyone can afford 'concept' hotels and not everyone wants them either.

Try this guys https://www.airhelp.com/en-gb/

My flight back from Palma to Ibiza in August was cancelled and I was booked on a 1 hour later flight.
Opodo, with whom I booked, approached me later and sent this link.
Consumer rights allow you to receive a compensation from the airline for longer delays or cancelled flights.
For me, this could mean up to EUR 250 per person.
As they work on "no cure no pay" I gaven them a try.

Vueling this weekend: arguably the most atrocious customer service i can remember

7.5 hours delayed in IBZ departure lounge, 7.5 hours which I somehow fear will never be retrieved...

EU261 claim?

Handling agents never really do a great job of customer service. They handle a number of airlines and are at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to salary/work life balance so there is no real incentive other than to get numbers through in a timely manner as the agent are paid on turning an aircraft. All part of getting the cost base down - Wanna pay the lowest fare these are the things that come at a price. Ryanair prove that bad customer service doesn't stop them churning a billion in profit a year

EU261 claim?

Handling agents never really do a great job of customer service. They handle a number of airlines and are at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to salary/work life balance so there is no real incentive other than to get numbers through in a timely manner as the agent are paid on turning an aircraft. All part of getting the cost base down - Wanna pay the lowest fare these are the things that come at a price. Ryanair prove that bad customer service doesn't stop them churning a billion in revenue a year

I filled out a complaints form - hoping for 250€ compensation (calculated by time delay + distance). But given 4 days of strikes led to X cancelled flights, they could be dealing with thousands of people, so my guess is they'll play hardball

Vueling this weekend: arguably the most atrocious customer service i can remember

7.5 hours delayed in IBZ departure lounge, 7.5 hours which I somehow fear will never be retrieved...
Sounds like €400 euro compo to me mate, for minimal form filling?

You’ll not get the time back, but €50 an hour can’t be sniffed at.

Try MSE for pro forma letters

I filled out a complaints form - hoping for 250€ compensation (calculated by time delay + distance). But given 4 days of strikes led to X cancelled flights, they could be dealing with thousands of people, so my guess is they'll play hardball

Have you got travel insurance? We got caught up in the strikes last month and they only offered a flight 2 days later. My travel insurance paid out within 2 weeks for £35 per 12 hours

Have you got travel insurance? We got caught up in the strikes last month and they only offered a flight 2 days later. My travel insurance paid out within 2 weeks for £35 per 12 hours

No. If it drags on i guess a lot of not-covered people will take it to small claims ?

They didn't adapt... They provided a service that only old people who didn't have access to the internet would use.
Blaming brexit and a hot summer in the UK is a pretty damn poor excuse to fail. It just shows that they were hanging on the brink considering their size

wonder if the swiss chief operating officer at Thomas Cook, Mr. Peter Fankhauser felt guilty earning them 8.4 Million Pounds......walking away with his big salary leaving the passengers stranded all around the world.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/09/24/thomas-cook-bosses-received-20m-bonuses/

To be honest... They probably demanded that money to work for an airline that has been in trouble nearly 10 years. They were in big trouble back in 2012.
Just typical of the media to start pointing blame.

Today is the first day of IBZ Thomas Cook cancelled departures, the "rescue flights" (one to Manchester and one to Birmingham combined to land in Birmingham) were due to take off this morning. Did they, and were there any delays and did all passengers get on?

Today is the first day of IBZ Thomas Cook cancelled departures, the "rescue flights" (one to Manchester and one to Birmingham combined to land in Birmingham) were due to take off this morning. Did they, and were there any delays and did all passengers get on?

I wonder if you miss your flight would you still get on the next flights... I suspect you would until almost all passengers have returned to the UK. It is a repatriation after all not a flight flown for commercial reasons

I wonder if you miss your flight would you still get on the next flights... I suspect you would until almost all passengers have returned to the UK. It is a repatriation after all not a flight flown for commercial reasons
As I think I mentioned earlier, I have that Cook's flight AND a flight with Vueling (IBZ-BCA-MAN) and I'll make a decision when I see conditions on the day. Hopefully being early October there won't be the pressure that there is in September, my main worry is if I go for the Vueling flight, will it get me to Barcelona in time (I've 4hrs spare, it should!!) and will the Barcelona - Manchester flight actually happen? It's a good record, only one cancellation in the last 3 months but that was last Weds!
I've never had a flight cancellation before so I don't know what would happen, do you go back to their desk at the airport for a new flight (they have to use any airline?) or do they text/email you a new flight??
The situation with the rescue flights is probably somewhat different?
Anyhow I'll try not to worry - the weather's gorgeous and I want some serious swim/drink/people-watching time. Worry about flying home on the day - and mum (whom I look after) is covered until 11am the following day which is one worry less.
And if I take that Vueling flight, I get 3 hours in the first class lounge at Barca with free drinks, food and showers for around thirty quid if there's room!!

Back