Festivals 2011

MiniMarc

Thought it might be good to gather everyones plans and info in one place.
So what festivals are people going to this year??? Have you bought any camping stuff worth mentioning?? General tips and experiences etc....

Im off to Glade on thursday
www.gladefestival.com

3rd time going , the first being the same weekend that the south of england had the worst flooding in something like 50 years and we were in a tent in a field! It was like a scene out of world war 1 , tents washed away in rivers of mud , had to get the car pulled out the car park by a traktor! Was still brilliant and if anything it added to a feeling of "if we can survive this we can survive anything". Consequently i never worry about festy weather now as chances of it being that bad again are so slim. The festival was cancelled last year due to lastminute mahoosive rise in policing costs. This year they have a new , privately owned venue with a permanent 24hr license owned by an eccentric english gent who seems more than happy for 5000 ravers to come to his place. They have scaled it right down this year to the same numbers as the first ever glade in 2004 which was 5,000 ppl. Year before last it had risen to 15,000 and lost alot of its charm.

Also going to Melt! festival in July which is kinda near Berlin.
http://www.meltfestival.de/en/acts
Its held in a massive sculptured city made of metal apparently , should be interesting!

This year I bought a new tent!!!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00322QROQ/ref=oss_product
went for it as all the reviews said it had remained dry which is the main worry with tents really isnt it . Did a test run in the garden and with 2 of us 10/15 minutes to put it up and same again to take down. We'll see how it lasts this weekend!

GLASTO :D

Managed to get last minute tickets in the final resale. Never been before so mega excited about what I will find there :)

Also planning on doing Field Day and maybe Bestival (money permitting)

Glasto
Lovebox
Brighton Pride
Out of the Ordinary
Bestival (loving the way my predictive text thinks I'm off somewhere beastial)

Body&soul festival 18/19 june ballinlough castle clonmellon co west meath ireland..... fat freddy drop,lamb,the field,plaid,nicolas jaar,mount kimbie,holy ****, and the brilliant brandt brauer frick.And its only 3500ppl all in the grounds of beautiful castles walled gardens..8)

Creamfields
Global Gathering

Have loved both festivals when I've been. I know alot of people complain about the likes of Tinie Tempah and David Guetta playing. That's fine by me, I won't be seeing them. The rest of the line ups for both festivals incredible.

If you want to sleep at any point while at a festival, pack ear plugs :lol:

Yeah good call on the ear plugs. Tents arent exactly walls you can hear every conversation around you and dull thud of the bass. I think it might be fairly cold at night this weekend which will make getting some late night/early morning sleep abit easier. At Exit festival in Serbia by the time you got back to the campsite at 8am it was nearly 30 degrees!

Tents with double insulation also help. They keep more heat in over night, and let less heat in during the day, making tents more bearable.

Creamfields last year was awash with people shouting Alan all night on the second night. Glad I did bring my ear plugs. Slept fairly well when I did get to sleep. It was the cold that got me.

Yeah good call on the ear plugs. Tents arent exactly walls you can hear every conversation around you and dull thud of the bass. I think it might be fairly cold at night this weekend which will make getting some late night/early morning sleep abit easier. At Exit festival in Serbia by the time you got back to the campsite at 8am it was nearly 30 degrees!

I'll never camp outside the UK again after Exit.

Horrendous temperatures - impossible to sleep when not in shade...but when you do camp in the shade, a branch falls off one of the neighbouring trees and kills two girls outright.

I woke to the sound of chainsaws, I kid you not. :confused:

Good festie though. ;) :lol:

You must have been there same year as me then? That was when a falling branch killed someone in their tent.
Yeah we thought 'hot and sunny = brilliant!!!' . Really wasnt funny after not sleeping for a few days. We spent the days like zombies searching for shade. the only cool place was mcdonalds!
The festival is still amazing tho just dont camp.
British weather is actually quite well suited isnt it. if you have some sun during the day a spot of rain or colder nights is no problem at all

You must have been there same year as me then? That was when a falling branch killed someone in their tent.
Yeah we thought 'hot and sunny = brilliant!!!' . Really wasnt funny after not sleeping for a few days. We spent the days like zombies searching for shade. the only cool place was mcdonalds!
British weather is actually quite well suited isnt it. if you have some sun during the day a spot of rain or colder nights is no problem at all

Yup - that's the one...the mornings were like hell on earth.

Yup - that's the one...the mornings were like hell on earth.

I will never forget Doris and Sue ringing me up frantically at 11am on the first "morning after the night before" hyperventilating and frantic to find out whether our hotel still had any spare rooms. I asked and they said "yes at £80 per night"... to which Sue replied "I'm on my way" lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ikoda - go to Exit, it's amazing!!! Just get a hotel ;)

I will never forget Doris and Sue ringing me up frantically at 11am on the first "morning after the night before" hyperventilating and frantic to find out whether our hotel still had any spare rooms. I asked and they said "yes at £80 per night"... to which Sue replied "I'm on my way" lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

Bloody hysterical weekend.

Marc - is Glade a proper rave up? The missus and I considered it and then decided it would be too full on as we don't even venture to clubs anymore (Ibiza aside8))

Creamfields last year was awash with people shouting Alan all night on the second night. Glad I did bring my ear plugs.

yeah the 'alaaaaaaaaan!' thing has been doing the rounds at glade for a while . Some people who put on raves in london called "Alan" claim to be the originators but who knows. 'Gaaarrry!' seemed more popular in 2007

Marc - is Glade a proper rave up? The missus and I considered it and then decided it would be two full on as we don't even venture to clubs anymore (Ibiza aside8))

Yep its pretty feckin messy. Lots of people stumbling around after 'horses' sleeping medicine. Lots of krusty acid hippies stomping to seemingly never ending psy trance. Its not really somewhere to go to see big headline acts but if u want to get spazzed with the friendliest crowd then its a winner . Poppers ahoy!

:lol:

Bloody hysterical weekend.

What about the dust?!! I've never seen such a dusty place, and with 100,000 feet stomping on it all day. When we got in and showered the whole floor was just covered in thick brown gunge. You must have been right mucky after camping in it too :lol:

yeah the 'alaaaaaaaaan!' thing has been doing the rounds at glade for a while . Some people who put on raves in london called "Alan" claim to be the originators but who knows. 'Gaaarrry!' seemed more popular in 2007

At The Big Chill last year people were shouting out "ALAN!!!" at every oppurtunity, which done nothing to calm down our mate Alan who was feeling slightly worse for wear and spun round whenever someone called his name :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even more so after the festival on the walk to the car, where people had also been writing it on cars in the dust after the weekend - I think he couldn't wait to get home :lol:

I was there that year too. Having camped the year before We wisely decided to get a apartment for it!

What about the dust?!! I've never seen such a dusty place, and with 100,000 feet stomping on it all day. When we got in and showered the whole floor was just covered in thick brown gunge. You must have been right mucky after camping in it too :lol:

Good times! A mate of mine looked the happiest I have ever seen him rolling about in the dust! in 07 he rolled about in the dust then had a shower when we got back to the camp site only to sit down in the mud and get coved in muck again!

Back