FAO Londoners: commuting

Clara

Looking as though I'll be moving down south in the new year as have been offered work in London. Currently keen on staying in Brighton near a station and doing the commute as only about an hour to London Bridge and I could work from home some days, as well as working/reading on the train.

Has anyone done this or know of anyone who did? Tried the journey out and it didn't seem too bad but might quickly get bored of it.

What is the average London commute? People I've spoken to seem to travel about an hour or so anyway.

Hi Clara

I know quite a few people who live in Brighton and commute up to London, as long as you're working near London Bridge or Victoria then you can probably do door to door in an hour and 15 minutes. Also, you'll always get a seat as you'll be at the start of the line each way.

Obviously they'll be some nights when the trains are funked and it will take you about 4 hours to get home but that's just part of the joys of commuting!

Brighton is lovely, we want to move down there in about 3/4 years - very envious of you :D

Cheers Barbie!

Did the journey and it took about that from the station so just looking at somewhere near one of the stations in Brighton.

Know it will be a pain getting home some nights or if I want to stay out later but I can always crash at someone's if needed.

a word of warning, as someone who spent 6 months commuting from nearby Worthing. Southern trains are not cheap, it's knackering 5 days out of 7, and seats are not guaranteed during rush hour. Brighton as a city has some beautiful features (eg the lanes, the pier, arts and a few boozers like the sidewinder and the komedia venue), however, despite a strong student, gay and underground community, nightlife for discerning clubbers is generally a bit crap these days (apart from audio) and the centre (east st/west st) can reek of Trevors on the lash on Saturdays. Hove is quieter and more upmarket, kemptown is cheaper but seedier. It is great though during warm weather and the chippies compared to where I live are next level!

Brighton is getting rubbish these days. And commuting is even rubbisher. Get in that new development behind the station. They are giving them away in crackers.

I've just moved to Dalston and got myself a bike. 30mins each way into work and I'm getting fit at the same time! I couldn't ever go back to living out of London and getting a train in. Commuting sucks!

I've just moved to Dalston and got myself a bike. 30mins each way into work and I'm getting fit at the same time! I couldn't ever go back to living out of London and getting a train in. Commuting sucks!

You're so brave Bec - aren't you scared of getting squashed by a bus/white van man??

I commuted in from Kent for 6 months while I was living with my parents and it was pretty pain free compared to getting the northern line from Balham which I was doing before. Took about 90 mins door to door though and cost twice as much as a zone 1-3 travelcard...

I like the idea of living in Brighton too, but I think the trains are pretty overcrowded.

You're so brave Bec - aren't you scared of getting squashed by a bus/white van man??

I commuted in from Kent for 6 months while I was living with my parents and it was pretty pain free compared to getting the northern line from Balham which I was doing before. Took about 90 mins door to door though and cost twice as much as a zone 1-3 travelcard...

I like the idea of living in Brighton too, but I think the trains are pretty overcrowded.

I bike along Regents Canal and then stick to the designated bike lanes, plus I have a very fetching helmet just incase :) So I am pretty careful when it comes to biking. It's scary at first but now I'm used to it! (and pretty fast too :lol:)

I'd be more inclined to get a proper train in somewhere if I had to, but I'm never, ever getting the tube to work again! Those journeys suck the life out of me :spank:

Id love to bike into work too but there are no showers at work and dont fancy sitting at work sweating up all day!

I bike along Regents Canal and then stick to the designated bike lanes, plus I have a very fetching helmet just incase :) So I am pretty careful when it comes to biking. It's scary at first but now I'm used to it! (and pretty fast too :lol:)

I'd be more inclined to get a proper train in somewhere if I had to, but I'm never, ever getting the tube to work again! Those journeys suck the life out of me :spank:

Have you graduated to experienced biker yet? Ignoring red lights? Pelican crossings? Mounting pavement if it suits you?:p

Have you graduated to experienced biker yet? Ignoring red lights? Pelican crossings? Mounting pavement if it suits you?:p

Erm..... yes :oops:

I am quite good though, I do respect pedestrians and always stop if they're waiting to cross. Some bikers are shocking!

compared to getting the northern line from Balham which I was doing before. Took about 90 mins door to door though and cost twice as much as a zone 1-3 travelcard...

That's madness how long that journey takes.

I was doing Glasgow to Edinburgh at least three days a week with my work anyway so I think I'll be able to cope, especially as I'll be able to work from home a couple of days a week.

Brighton is a lovely place to live - such a vibrant community and everything's on your doorstep but personally I think you're mad commuting. :eek:

Are you living the dream doing this job in London or just working for some 'aspirational brand' and chasing a career/money? If so, it ain't worth travelling for...either live and work in London or stay in Brighton and come to London at weekends to party.

...but having said that, Brighton is a career vacuum due to it's proximity to London so unless you're self employed or working in a media centre it can be difficult not to drift (Brighton is full of lazy drifters) and work in the leisure industry or a $hit call centre.

Or you could just ignore me. :lol:

Good luck with it.

That's madness how long that journey takes.

I was doing Glasgow to Edinburgh at least three days a week with my work anyway so I think I'll be able to cope, especially as I'll be able to work from home a couple of days a week.

Yeah if you've got the option to work from home that's great - three days a week of commuting should be bearable.

Congrats on the new job!

I bike along Regents Canal and then stick to the designated bike lanes,

slechtstefietspad.jpg

:lol:

The cost of a Brightoin commute is the only thing that would put me off (circa £300/month last time I looked, compared to £70 odd for pretty much anywhere in London)

IMO A commute is more accurately measuired by it's switches and the travelling to and from your destination - extra points if you're going end to end, then you're more likely to get a seat, and someone to wake you up if you fall asleep at the end of the line :D.

I currently have an hour commute, and I think you'll find most people have a similar one, so by the time you've factored in changes and getting to/from each station, so the notion of Brghton being fantastcially longer than ay other is perhaps an illusion.

You certainly get 'value' out of your minutes - i.e. you travel a long way, (unlike my 45 minute train ride that goes only 10 miles or so :rolleyes::spank::lol:), plus, you live in a wonderful city that has a nice balance of non-big-citified living but with a decent enough social infrastructure (for want of a better term?!) to keep you entertained!
:D

My commute from Essex to City of London is about 40 mins.......people sometimes go god thats a long time and for £200 a month too but it really isnt that long. You will be surprised how quick it goes once you are engrossed in a good book! Or if you desperately need the sleep thats a bonus ;)

I predominantly work at home at the moment and my commute takes all of 3 seconds - the advantages (saving money, extra zzz, not sharing air/space with the ill/annoying) are often offset by a propensity for extreme laziness and isolation from office-based colleagues which can be detrimental to career-progression within organisation..

Back