FAO Londoners: commuting

Also work from home sometimes - but also in Centre Point...mostly work in the cafe upstairs (amazing view).

I can turn up for work when I want, leave when I want, take as many holidays as I want and there's no minimum requirement - in other words I get to miss the rush hour tube of doom. :D

Best of all, I love my colleagues!

So freelancing is where it's at... 8)

I love being in control but no work = no money so no more lazy clock watching and long lunches. :confused: It all feels very adult.

Oh My God! I will NEVER complain about the commute to work again after reading the costs/travel times that you Southerners have to deal with.....

Even if I get two Metro's to work - its still 30 mins door to door and costs the pricely sum of £2.70 return ticket - :eek:

In the car its 15 mins door to door now its half term..... :confused:

Don't the extra earnings coming from working in London cover all the costs though?

It's all relative - especially if you're in the public sector with all that London allowance stuff.

I walk to work from liverpool street to blackfriars.

takes about 35 minutes door to door.

would be quicker to cycle but the whole sweating and shower type thing doesn't appeal... and I don't have a bike.

love not having to get the tube, and it saves me a fortune in travel, now I probably spend about £30 a month on travel instead of £100 on a travelcard.

I walk to work from liverpool street to blackfriars.

takes about 35 minutes door to door.

would be quicker to cycle but the whole sweating and shower type thing doesn't appeal... and I don't have a bike.

love not having to get the tube, and it saves me a fortune in travel, now I probably spend about £30 a month on travel instead of £100 on a travelcard.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I have missed you!!

I takes me roughly five and a half minutes door to door.
Nice.

I live 4-5 km (2-3 miles) from work.
It's about 6km on the road going, 8-9km coming back. Damn one-way streets.
Morning commute - 10-25 minutes 8)
Evening commute - 20-60 minutes :evil:

But it's been so nice driving for the past 11 months. Even on extreme heavy traffic days (2 hours getting home one day earlier this month when Hillary Clinton was in town :evil:), at least you're in your own space with your own music, can have a cigarette, etc. I don't mind so much.

Nice.

I live 4-5 km (2-3 miles) from work.
It's about 6km on the road going, 8-9km coming back. Damn one-way streets.
Morning commute - 10-25 minutes 8)
Evening commute - 20-60 minutes :evil:

But it's been so nice driving for the past 11 months. Even on extreme heavy traffic days (2 hours getting home one day earlier this month when Hillary Clinton was in town :evil:), at least you're in your own space with your own music, can have a cigarette, etc. I don't mind so much.

I love driving to work - I hate being with other people travelling to and from work - NOT at my best first thing in the morning - that's for sure!!! I need my own music and my space...

i thought i already posted in this thread!! :eek: maybe not,..../????
BRIGHTON IS THE ONLY PLACE I WOULD LIVE IF I EVER WENT BACK TO THE UK.....
dont know how i would go travelling back&forth every day though.....:cry:
suppose if you wanna live there & most of the work is in london u do what u havw to do...... but brighton is sooooooooooooo SOOOOOOOOOO much cooler than london.....! 8)8) (imo)

at least you're in your own space with your own music, can have a cigarette, etc. I don't mind so much.

the only joy of working where i work at the moment!

will be even more joyous when i get my new baby and the 55+ mpg he'll be capable of. :)

Don't the extra earnings coming from working in London cover all the costs though?

It's all relative - especially if you're in the public sector with all that London allowance stuff.

Some high London salaries are becoming a thing of the past though, credit crunch and all that :eek:

I quite like the Tube but dont see it at its worst as i work 8 till 4 so miss the rush hour every day. Its only about 45 min door to door so gives me time to read the paper / book.

SOOOOOOOOOO much cooler than london.....! 8)8) (imo)

I've done it and it's incomparable.

Brighton is such a lovely cozy place with a really strong identity but I wouldn't call it cooler by any stretch of the imagination. :eek: It's just a really sweet place. Awww bless Brighton - I'm going there this weekend actually. 8)

Negatives: The clubs are full of younguns and it borrows influences from all over...it's very rare that Brighton produces something homegrown to rival London (aside from a few good bands and places like Big Beat Boutique).

It is however oozing with culture - I love all the coffee shops and nic nacs in the north laine and the restaurant/cabaret/theatre scenes are all brilliant. It's a shame it's lost it's seaside town feel though because the fringe festie in May used to be so much more DIY and spontaneous...and they closed legendary pubs like the Green Dragon and put in a bloody place called 'the office' instead. :eek: Grrrr.

I could see myself going back there in the (very) long term yes but cooler than London - naah.

I didn't get the polo or fiesta in the end. They told me there were no new cars from the factory till January by which time the skoda yeti will be out, so I'm turning my attention to that. The polo salesman was well pushy too - keeps calling me up! No surer way to scare a customer off... :rolleyes:

Back