Eric Morillo, why are people.........................

P

pick-u-up

....................................slating the fella so much for playing oldies???

I have been reading through the forums on here and noiticed that he is not the most liked DJ all because he is playing some old tracks within his sets, did anyone listen to the his 1/2 hour Radio 1 Essential Mix from Ibiza??? (I know this weekend is a bit of a cheese fest but all the same!!!) Have you heard a DJ recently dig out the old tunes (or new come to that??) and mix them like he did/is. I personnaly think he was quality and done himself justice and has shown his critics why he is playing oldies, because he plays them with class. The guy has been an inspiratrion within house music for many years now, does he deserve the grief he is getting?? Also do you not think the reason he is playing the oldies is because the new tunes coming out aren't exactely ground breaking tunes??

Any views?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

i think one of the points is that Mr Morillo is the head of a successful label Subliminal which just reached 100 releases, it also has offshoots in Sondos, Subusa & Subliminal Soul.

That means he has 4 labels that he personally runs not to mention the piles of freebie records he must get every week - and yet he still overloads his sets with old tunes.

Most djs will play the odd oldie (not counting sets that are designed to be old skool) but Morillo has been reaching the ridiculous stage.

Its not so much that he plays lots of old ‘classics’, its just that he seems to be playing the same set time and time again without much variation.

Indeed I agree. I saw him play at Escape a few weeks ago and he had the place rocking. Out of all the DJ's he is most I like and would pay to see. Fair enough he plays old music but the way he plays reflects how good a DJ he is.

He maybe head honcho of the afor mentioned labels, but Sondos and Subusa are predominately managed by Choo Choo and Nunez, who by all accounts play alot deeper, therefore don't always fit Eric's style!!!
I agree that there must be variety in sets from DJ's but surely the amount of slagging off he has received is unjustified purely for that reason?? take Sasha and ony other melodic prog DJ, there sets all sound the same and they get priased no end!!!

i think in the case of Sasha the people are split - seen plenty of criticism on the forums about him "losing it"

on the Sondos & Subusa point - i have heard Erik play plenty of tunes on those labels. it just seems like hes going for the easy options recently nd for a dj of his calibre (and i'm a fan of his craft & technique) its disappointing. There are too many good tunes about now to ignore them.

i dont read many music mags these days but im guessing one of them must have slaged him off, therefore everyone has jumped on the band waggon.

I might be wrong, but ive heard may to may people slag him saying "he's now cheesey, it all about underwater on a tuesday", I head this from about six different mates who hardly ever go out much, so how do they no this??

old and knew goes together well, and if he has the croud going, which he always does, he must be doing something right

Fair comment, on the Sasha from I haven't been reading any of his topics (totally dislike the fella, he was only good when he was playing back in the day, when he was accompanyied by the superb MC (can't remember?), who came out with the line 'nice and eay lemon squeezy', quality!!!!)

As for the tunes at the mo, well I was in Ibiza earlier in the year I wasn't overly impressed with what was being knocked out, it was all E-Samba and Lee Cabrera type!! Except for at Bora Bora and Space, but thats expected!!

for a dj of his calibre you would expect him to play new upfront/ground breaking house music.

not boring old 'classics' from the yesteryear

boring old 'classics' from yesteryear??????

How do you think we got to where we are today without these!!!

I dunno, i love hearing the odd old tune, at global gathering this year, the bloke before Morillo played about 4 old house tunes in his set and the place went mental, so I guess he has to please most people, and going from the crowd reaction he seems to be doing that.

Far point about expecting to hear upfront tunes tho, and most my mates do go out for that.

from them boring old 'classics' from yesteryear. but i want to hear new, freash, exciting music.

Robo said:
for a dj of his calibre you would expect him to play new upfront/ground breaking house music.

not boring old 'classics' from the yesteryear

Boring classics are better than hallf the shite that comes out nowadays...

Fair comment, but I was just trying to make the point that they not that boring, hence the reason why we have new exciting music coming through (sometimes!!!) but one thing is for sure when those boring old 'classics' were being played clubbing was far superior/enjoyable then than it is today!!!

pick-u-up said:
but one thing is for sure when those boring old 'classics' were being played clubbing was far superior/enjoyable then than it is today!!!

oh agreed!! i have a mate who was clubbing in the hacienda!, he was telling about it, it sounded unbelieavable!

he is gonna send me some rare old sessions on tape :p

Saw Erick 3 weeks ago. His set included;
Pete Hellar - Big Love
David Guetta - Just a little more love.
Soul Providers - Rise.
I wasn't complaining though.

Nice 1 ;) You'll enjoy those rare old sessions tapes, had a couple myself from the Hac and one from Shoom unfortunalty were lost in my recent house move, stomach wrenching experience for me!!!!! :(

pick-u-up said:
Nice 1 ;) You'll enjoy those rare old sessions tapes, had a couple myself from the Hac and one from Shoom unfortunalty were lost in my recent house move, stomach wrenching experience for me!!!!! :(

i feel ya mate, i really do! :cry:

The past few times I’ve seen him he’s played really samey sets, without much variation. It was all so predictable. We all like the odd well known tune thrown in every now and again – its guaranteed to get the crowd going, but there needs to be some variation there or it just gets boring.

As far as im concerned Morillo is first class and also a nice guy. Djing isnt always about playing the freshest, upfront tunes, it never has been. Its about entertaining as well, taking old tunes, present tunes and fresh tunes and mixing them together in such a way that u feel uve been on a musical journey. I think this point is often forgotten.

Morillo always gets the crowd rocking, so he can be doing that much wrong.

Another thing that annoys me is the power dance mags can have over people. the point about Morillo beign cheezy and underwater being the place to be brought this to my attention.
in my opinion, dance mags influence people too much and shouldnt be able to dictate what genre is popular or whats hot and whats not.

Back