Eric Morillo, why are people.........................

IMO:

1. In the past Erick was the real master. 3 or 4 years ago, all Subliminal releases were amazing: Pianoheadz, Constipated Monkeys, Tangachicks, Ministers-de-la-funk. The live sets of that age of Erick are awesome and the mixing is great. On that times he also played classics.

2. I don't know why, the last year (or 2 years) I've noticed a lot of differences in his sets. He has turned dark, although he mixes soulful, tribal and other styles, and I think he abuses of CDJ1000 and its effects and acapellas.

3. As other fellows said, he do not changes a lot the sets' tracklistings, and it seems it's always the same (in this case, you'd better not listen 2 or 3 Jeff Mills sets lol).

4. But at the end, IMO, a Morillo set is always special for the passion and the effort he makes to encourage the people and make them dance. However, is not my favourite DJ, like before.

I saw Erick last Sunday at Space and the previous Wed nite at Subliminal - his set at Space was probably the best i saw for the 7 days i was in Ibiza.

I noted to some friends that he probably only played 10% of the same songs each nite - very impressive considering the sets were within 5 days of each other and of a similar musical style. and the songs he did play the last time are a couple of the big songs of the summer - i'm not complaining.

something he did at space which was brillantly cheeky was mixing Satisfaction by Benny Benacci into the Rolling Stones version of Satisfaction. I laughed and danced my ass off at the same time :)

right now, there is no other DJ i'l rather pay my $$$ to see...

Erick seems to have painted himself into a bit of a corner.
He goes a bit edgier and darker and he isn't anywhere as good as his empoyees (nunez, whodafunk etc) so he starts fannying around with effects machines and stopping the choonz for huge amounts of time in an effort to whip up some enthusiasm. He still gets slated, so gets out the records he knows are gonna work and the (british) music press stick their noses up mr Emersons's sh1tter and proclaim that for underwater to be the winner, subliminal has to loose.

However, when it comes to the space terrace, the most showbiz dj on the planet whips up a storm. As It Should Be.

Poor Erick seems to be a bit of a lighning conductor at the moment. Everybody's beef about the state of house music seems to get channeled through him.

Is it coz he's bald?

However, when it comes to the space terrace, the most showbiz dj on the planet whips up a storm. As It Should Be.

Poor Erick seems to be a bit of a lighning conductor at the moment. Everybody's beef about the state of house music seems to get channeled through him.

wise, wise.

(i reckon you is on to something with the bald LOL)

Marts said:
Another thing that annoys me is the power dance mags can have over people. the point about Morillo beign cheezy and underwater being the place to be brought this to my attention.

I went to both Subliminal and Underwater in July and on the Underwater night, Emerson played Donna Summer's I Feel Love which I would definitely call an oldie. The Cassius track that both Erick and Darren played towards the end of their sets is a version of a Level 42 song from the Eighties. If playing old tunes makes you cheesy then both nights are cheesy :?:

In my opinion old hit songs are OK to hear every once and again because hardly any DJ's play them in their pursuit of all things new and trendy. I'm a bit of an oldie myself after all. But oldies would get on my nerves if everyone played them, because it wasn't that much better back in the day.

nish said:
Can Anyone name a dj who theyve seen play for years who hasnt had an off day or two??!

DARREN EMERSON SEEN ABOUT 15 TIMES IN TOTAL GETS BETTER EVERY SINGLE TIME GENIUS

I saw Morillo, when the MC from the Audiobullies was on the mic over the tracks, very good!

SOme of the stuff morillo does with the cdj1000 are amazing, he looped the breakdown of 'a little more love' into a frenzy!

glad hes stoped playing that ministers of funk - belive track!

Saw Derrick Carter a few weeks ago and was very excited about that because of all the positive reactions on this board but I wasn't impressed at all!!!
Maybe technically he's a good dj but when played, hardly anybody was dancing. Very, very boring indeed

I still adore Erick M. though. Going to see him and and the Subliminal lot this saturday at Misteryland in Holland. Can't wait!!!!!!

rustywoo said:

GOOD POINT :!:

Music is changing and technology is changing. At the same time.

Erick is giving us his answer to this. Has he done right decision?

Personally I think NOT! :cry:

But still the fact that Erick is the best DJ in the world remains...

No, i didnt say that Morillo was cheesy or playin old tunes makes u cheesy, that point had already been raised, but i love morillo and the think the guys a great dj.

quick question, was the split between underwater and subliminal amicable or did it turn into something bitter, coz i know emerson and morillo were good friends before the split, hopin some1 can clear this up as im quite curious.

Marts said:
quick question, was the split between underwater and subliminal amicable or did it turn into something bitter, coz i know emerson and morillo were good friends before the split, hopin some1 can clear this up as im quite curious.

Nah they're still buddies, Erick just had too many of his own guests he wanted to showcase and same with Underwater, that's why they went their seperate ways but you'll still see Erick popping down to Underwater and Dazza to Subliminal.

Marts said:
As far as im concerned Morillo is first class and also a nice guy. Djing isnt always about playing the freshest, upfront tunes, it never has been. Its about entertaining as well, taking old tunes, present tunes and fresh tunes and mixing them together in such a way that u feel uve been on a musical journey. I think this point is often forgotten.

Morillo always gets the crowd rocking, so he can be doing that much wrong.

Another thing that annoys me is the power dance mags can have over people. the point about Morillo beign cheezy and underwater being the place to be brought this to my attention.
in my opinion, dance mags influence people too much and shouldnt be able to dictate what genre is popular or whats hot and whats not.

well said :!: :!:

I think it's ridiculous all the comment on Morillo loosing it. The guy is a quality entertainer and always throws a top party.

Clubbin is all about having a good time. Morillo definetly knows how to make people have a good time. PLAIN and SIMPLE

Back