Education/Schools in Ibiza

Just a quick update re our situation.
We're living here in Ibiza now..... we did all the paperwork in the first few days of arriving (empadron at the Ayuntamiento in Sta Eulalia, Residencia at Policia in Ibiza) (already got NIE numbers)... then took all our school related paperwork to the Escolarizacion (bad spelling but can't remember it!) Office near the Red Cross clinic in Ibiza town... They asked us where we lived (ie which school we were nearest to), copies of all our passports, Empadrons etc (I took copies of absolutely everything along with us anyway! just in case lol), they printed off a letter and told us to take it to the Secretary at the San Carlos school...
Did that and he's extremely helpful (and speaks better English than my woeful but trying hard Spanish!). Our little lad starts school at San Carlos on Monday 16th April (a few hours a day to get him used to the class and new people). :)

Just a quick update re our situation.
We're living here in Ibiza now..... we did all the paperwork in the first few days of arriving (empadron at the Ayuntamiento in Sta Eulalia, Residencia at Policia in Ibiza) (already got NIE numbers)... then took all our school related paperwork to the Escolarizacion (bad spelling but can't remember it!) Office near the Red Cross clinic in Ibiza town... They asked us where we lived (ie which school we were nearest to), copies of all our passports, Empadrons etc (I took copies of absolutely everything along with us anyway! just in case lol), they printed off a letter and told us to take it to the Secretary at the San Carlos school...
Did that and he's extremely helpful (and speaks better English than my woeful but trying hard Spanish!). Our little lad starts school at San Carlos on Monday 16th April (a few hours a day to get him used to the class and new people). :)

great to hear you have made the move and sounds fairly painless, although im sure it wasnt. please forgive the bad grammar we are currently in Ibiza and the internet keyboard is rather unusual... drove through san carlos yesterday, gorgeous as always. have you bought a place here or renting. good luck with your new life on this amazing island..

Ooh good grief, only renting, we haven't got anything like the cash to buy anything here! :eek: :) But we're here for the long haul (not just the season). Husband is currently working on someone's house, plastering, tiling, cementing etc etc..... then when season starts he's the DJ in Popeyes Es Cana....

The paperwork etc might have been easier since we've already got NIE numbers and the residencia was only a case of transferring it from being a mainland Spain one to being a Balearic Islands one... Same with the school thing.... still it was quite a lot of legwork finding the right offices for the Empadron and School Enrollment office!!!

thats great news psycholisa, we have our nie now just need padro and then hopefully we can get into san carlos school too : )

Empadron is easy! Go to Sta Eulalia, the office is next door to the Natur House shop, take proof of your address (ie contract of rental or whatever you get when you buy a house). They just do it on the computer in front of you and if you want a copy of it, you just go to the next desk and they print it out there and then. Only thing to remember is they charge you 3 euros per person's copy (and each person who lives there gets their own piece of paper (empadron)) so ours cost 9 euros... But for residencia/school etc they want to see the original padron and don't forget to take a copy for them to keep!

State schooling in Ibiza for our 13 yr old son

We are investigating the option to move out to Ibiza in the next month. We have been to Cala Llonga for summer holidays over the last few years and are very drawn to making a move out there possibly to the Santa Eularia district.

It is our intention to come out for a 1 year trial period. Our main concern is how our 13 year old son will be able to integrate into the state schooling system bearing in mind that we do not speak Spanish.

Would be interested to get some advice from other families whom have experienced a move with children of similar ages.

We hope to come out next week for a few days to make enquiries about schools and homes. We realise that it would be beneficial to make the move ASAP in order to get him into school for this term rather than having to compete for the next school year.

All advice would be appreciated.

Michael & Joanne

It would be appreciated if anyone knows the name of the school directly over the road from the municipal swimming pool on the edge of Santa Eulalia.

tia

*edit it's Arabi

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a look at Arabi last year when we were thinking of moving out. You probably know this anyway but just in case, Arabi is the newest school in Santa Eulalia and therefore most modern in terms of equipment. That said, we looked at the other two schools and all were filled with happy kids.
One thing that I did discover is that they aren't too concerned if you take your kids out term time for a holiday, which works for me!

no, there was no space. she is going to santa gertrudis as she knows a few kids there, even though its a fare journey twice a day!! how is yours getting on??

Aww that's a shame, looks like we just made it in time then eh? Still at least she's happy there. Mine's loving it, he's made friends in his class and goes on the bus to school with his "local" friends.... Even tho he looks too little to be going on the bus on his own, he thinks it's like a big adventure! :)

schools in ibiza

I would really appreciate some guidance re schools in Ibiza, as the more I investigate the more confused I am!! We have been on holiday to Ibiza every year for the last 12 years, but until now we have not really investigated where to live. By the time we relocate our boys will be 6 and 9, so where we live is really going to be dictated by schools. Our eldest is considered to be very bright and we are fortunate enough to send him to a very good private school, so we are anxious that the school we move the kids to is of equal standard. How good are the schools in Ibiza? Is there an equivilant to the UK ofsted reports so we can check the standard of education at each school? We are non spanish speakers (we need to get our act together and start learning!) so we need to think about an international school versus a Spanish school. Any assistance very gratefully received!:)

Thanks to everyone here for all the really great practical info, advice and opinions on various schools! Have just moved to Ibiza with my son who is 8 and we need to get things sorted for September start.
Visited the Consejeria de Educacion in Eivissa and spoke to Danny who was super-helpful - went through all the areas I'm interested in and told me where there is availability, which is pretty much everywhere for my son's age group this year, so still not sure which is the best option or even area to be based - too many lovely places to choose from!
Was very interested to hear that there are now some schools working on with project-based learning rather than text books (and also said that all the state schools are now moving in this direction). So, I'm wondering whether any of you have any experience of this kind of education or would recommend any primary school in particular, and also whether any are particularly good for after school activities, or have a good reputation for sports...??

hi teabee, i would be really interested to know which schools are doing less text book work and is the education office open at the moment. I am not so happy with my daughters teacher and neither is she and really want to change but have been told i have to apply in june!

Nightmare with the process, our children are in the system, we have been told only places are at puig d'en valls. We are living in Santa Eulalia, that's a fair round trip each day! Was originally told by our desired school they had places, now not a single place in any of the three schools in / near town:eek: Also education office said they have no obligation to give a place to our little girl until she is six.

In a way it's true, cos the 3-6 year old schooling is voluntary (like sending them to nursery in the UK), once they get to 6 then they "have" to go to primary school.

Sorry to hear that you're having troubles tho :(

In a way it's true, cos the 3-6 year old schooling is voluntary (like sending them to nursery in the UK), once they get to 6 then they "have" to go to primary school.

Sorry to hear that you're having troubles tho :(

It's all part and parcel of the steep learning curve of being here, I keep telling my wife it is all good character building stuff, she remains unconvinced! It is understandable with Spain in such a mess economically, non obligatory schooling for non Spanish families might be hit. We remain optimistic. Hope you been able to resolve your schooling 'problem'?

Yeah ours is in his 2nd year of Infants (he's 4).... back with the same kids he (briefly) met last term. He seems happy enough, goes on the bus with his friends and goes off and comes back smiling and happy!! :) Such a relief, after worrying he wasn't going to make friends and/or settle in a new school so soon.....

Good to hear, smiling faces say everything :)

When I made the above post was actually thinking about a post made by Rainbow, for some reason I thought you had posted about not being happy with school!

Result :)

Our eldest boy (seven) starts San Ciriaco in the morning (thank you education office).

Little girl (three, four in December) could be waiting a while but not too concerned as she wouldn't have started school in UK until next September.

So pleased having thought we had hit a brick wall:D

Back