Education/Schools in Ibiza

This is a great find on the net, sorry I can't give advice, only ask for it... we want to move to Ibiza this year with our 2 children aged 8 and 11. We are looking for schools too, and also somewhere cheap to live...fingers crossed! Does anyone know if you need to live in a catchment area for schools as in the UK? or can you apply for anywhere if there are places?
I spoke to the education office person yesterday in English...sorry my Spanish needs help! ...and understood about registration in April, though wasn't sure about the catchment or lack of. Does anyone know if there is such thing online? or is it up to the individual school?

Well I just called the education office and was told that no one there spoke English, only Spanish and Catalan. Does anyone know who to ask for in the office?

Well I just called the education office and was told that no one there spoke English, only Spanish and Catalan. Does anyone know who to ask for in the office?

We received this response, tried initially asking for Emma (as mentioned above speaks English), no luck! Another time tried asking if anyone spoke English, unfortunately not!

We spoke to a man in the office who spoke english, was very nice but didn't give much more info than is on here. Think we will just wait till we get there when we have all the paperwork etc

If you get there during term time they place your child in the nearest school to your catchment area (yes it does exist in Spain too!). If you arrive in the summer school holidays, you apply to the nearest school to where you live (you can find out a list at your local town hall). Ie if you're moving to Es Cana (like we are) the schools for that area are Sant Carles (sp?) and Santa Eulalia. I would imagine a visit to the Education Office once you arrive in Ibiza would be the best bet.

When I phoned up I asked for Emma, but she doesn't work there any more. I asked in my Spanish for anyone who spoke English and they put me thru to the guy. Maybe you have to ask in Spanish for an English speaking person??? I just explained that my Spanish wasn't good enough for a long phone call and could I possibly speak to someone who spoke a bit of English!! :confused:

There are also (free) school buses if you kids didn`t want to go to Santa Eu schools, Our daughter after spending time at Morna did not like the thought of Xarc (Pronounced Shark) in Santa Eu, So got the bus from San Carlos to San Lorenzo every day,

Tim

Bear in mind tho, if your children are under 5, they can't go on the school buses!!!

I've got friends in Es Cana and all their kids go to San Carlos school....

Hi everyone,

I'm new to posting on the forum but have been looking on the website/ forum for some time now and was wondering how everyone's getting on with their plans?

I've found this thread so useful as my husband, 5 year old daughter and I, are hopefully moving to Ibiza around April time this year- initially for a year, but maybe we'll end up staying who knows?! We're flying over there in a couple of weeks to look for accommodation and check out some schools.

It's all very exciting but at the same time I'm finding it quite daunting and I'm worried as to how well my daughter will 'fit in'. She's already in school full time here in London and is doing really well.
She'll be six in September so we will need to be thinking about her education in Ibiza (which may only be for six months- arghhh!) where she will have to attend a state school. We're looking to rent a property around Figueretas/ Ibiza town area. She's already had a few cries saying that she doesn't want to go to school there as she won't understand the other people. Which has made me uncertain about the whole thing :(
We have bought the Muzzy DVD to try and give her a head start and we're attempting to learn the language too- although a bit slow, oops!

Anyway, I just popped by to say Hi and to wish you all lots of luck :)

Welcome to the forum :)

I think your daughter might start feeling more confident once she has watched muzzy a few times (we used muzzy a few years back). Have you tried selling the idea of all the beach time and water park, the twelve week summer holidays etc etc?

Have you pre arranged visits to the schools you are looking at, and if so, how did you do this?

good luck

Yes, l've tried all the tricks and they do appeal to her but then reality kicks in i think! She just keeps saying that she's "only going for a long holiday"- only we're bringing our cat too! :|

No, we haven't arranged any viewings at schools but we will try to have look to see what's local when we're there in Feb and then thanks to all the info on this thread we'll take it from there.

Do let me know how you get on with the whole process and if you have any tips you'd like to share I'd be grateful. Whatever i discover along the way I'll post on here too.

Going to visit in feb sounds like a great plan, I would love to go and visit a couple of schools and start the paperwork before we move. As i think we may arrive in the Easter hols, does anyone know when they are - In Ibiza??

The Easter holidays here in Benidorm start 5th April and finish on the 16th April (so they're at school 4th and 17th April)... I presume this is for all over Spain and that Ibiza would be the same.

As I think I said before, when we asked we were told that if we arrive in April they HAVE to find a place for your child in a school as near to where you're living as possible (wherever there's a place). I take this to mean that if you arrive in May (for example) you then have to wait til the new term starts in September. Bear in mind the enrolment process starts in Spain in April/May.

Thanks if they are the same then we should get there just before, are you starting the ball rolling before you arrive?

How old are your children?

My daughter isn't six until September, so won't be able to start year 1 until then. Think i may have to try and take her to a group or pre school of somekind to keep her occupied in a learning environment... I'm a bit nervous though as my Spanish is virtually non- existent although I am attempting to learn!

My daughter is 6, our spanish is very very basic but we are working on it, i know it will be easier when we are there though : )

Not really anything we can do til we get there, he'll need a paper from the school he's in now to say he's been at school and an Empadron and our residencias from Ibiza which we can't get til we get there!!

Just a thought for Mrs C and yourself tho, children start school at 3 here in Spain (and although this isn't compulsory attendance, everyone seems to do it), so once they get to 6 they've already done 3 years of school. So she'll be taken into the school system in whichever age related year she qualifies for.
Also the Spanish intake goes from January to December of the year, rather than September to August like in the UK. So if your daughter is 6 in September, she already qualifies for the 6 year old "year". (if that makes sense!)

Here's a couple of links that include what paperwork you'll need and a better worded bit about school ages!!!
http://www.ibizapropertyagents.com/news/frequently-asked-questions/education-and-childcare-in-ibiza/

http://balearics.angloinfo.com/countries/spain/schooling.asp

Just out of interest does anyone know if there are any Home Schooling/ Home Educating groups in Ibiza?

After searching the forums I found a quote and telephone number on here but it's from 2009!

Thanks

I've not heard of any (even here on the Mainland), but as the State Schools are good I wouldn't bother anyway (unless there's something specific you want to teach them?!) :)

Back