EDM

remember Guetta was a good house dj before we went all cheese/EDM.

unfortunately in the states, EDM = cheesy/commercial house. Originally it was a catch-all term back 6-7 years ago but its meaning has def changed.

if its still 1,000 euros or less i'll buy Stivi, Dirk B and ElMoorea a red bull and goose - I arrive next Thursday ;-)

I can prob find out pretty quickly how much one of their regulars gets....

I'm sure I heard Seth Troxler talking about it on a IMS video from 2014(?). I'll try dig it out.

remember Guetta was a good house dj before we went all cheese/EDM.

unfortunately in the states, EDM = cheesy/commercial house. Originally it was a catch-all term back 6-7 years ago but its meaning has def changed.

His track selection was quite good imo up to about 2007/2008.

I'm curious to know how tranceheads feel about the underground techno scene. I notice - from these forums alone - that a lot of the trance contingent take a foray to Cocoon. Is this a result of Papa Sven's history with trance? or is it merely the appeal of the Circoloco/Cocoon double-header??

Sometimes when I listen to Joris Voorn I feel that some of his track selection contain elements of trance. What do others think?

Techno I can take or leave. I've been to Carl Cox but not to cocoon. I've listened to trance for the best part of 15 years and had periods where I loved techno but it was always the harder variety. Back when picotto had mega nite and umek and kanzyani ran recycled loops. Used to love people like Christian valera and liebing. Luke slater dave Clarke etc even. Just never been into the stuff the likes of villalobos or vath play. In fact the last techno night I can remember being at enjoying someone was Marcel dettman in Newcastle about 5 years ago.

I love the fact that the techno scene is thriving though. Shame the trance one isn't the same. Still have loads of mares who are into techno and there seems to be an abundance of nights in the UK and abroad doing well. As has been mentioned in this thread. Edm has had a massive impact on the big djs. It's been like that for years.

I'm sure I heard Seth Troxler talking about it on a IMS video from 2014(?). I'll try dig it out.

I'm sure it was said so no need to look up the video :)

just doesn't make sense in a business manner from the talent/agency side. as cool and legendary as DC10 is, I don't see why the djs would accept a hugely discounted booking fee when i'm guessing the club takes in prob close to 100K euros in ticket sales (guesstimate: 45 x 2000+ people entering each Mon over the course of the entire night - if someone knows the real # please pipe up). and that's before a drink is sold. so if the djs are being paid less 10K total, that leaves a massive profit for the club. the biggest cost typically at a club night is the dj talent...

I'm sure it was said so no need to look up the video :)

just doesn't make sense in a business manner from the talent/agency side. as cool and legendary as DC10 is, I don't see why the djs would accept a hugely discounted booking fee when i'm guessing the club takes in prob close to 100K euros in ticket sales (guesstimate: 45 x 2000+ people entering each Mon over the course of the entire night - if someone knows the real # please pipe up). and that's before a drink is sold. so if the djs are being paid less 10K total, that leaves a massive profit for the club. the biggest cost typically at a club night is the dj talent...
It's quite simple they don't do it for the money they do it for the love of the club and music

It's quite simple they don't do it for the money they do it for the love of the club and music

I get that... to a degree. DC10 is cool but its not THAT cool. maybe 10-15 years ago different story. its not like DC10 throws this party for charity - they are making nice $. i'm going to try and find out from someone whose playing in Sept and see if i'm still way off base or not.

For me it's the party that brings me to Ibiza even if it has changed over the years so it must be cool . ;)
I really think it's no more than a couple of £Gs each . It's a bit like a loss leader for the djs . You play at dc10 you get put on the underground map . And sometimes that is where certain djs want to be ,they want to be known more for the music they love . Time and time again cool djs change their styles when they know that they can earn lots of money and this is called selling out . That's why they become sh it like guetta .
Also if I was a dj just earning £2000 from 1 dj set a week I'll be earning £100 grand a year and that's for 1 gig , now most of these guys are working hard doing underground gigs and whatever. So if they do 5 gigs a week that's half a million . That might be an over statement but even still 2 gigs a week , that's not a bad living for doingsomething you love . So Then £2000 a dc10 set starts to sound realistic .

I hope it is still true...I think it's cool that Tania Vulcano and Andrew Grant get the same fee as Seth Troxler and Dixon. Everyone plays 1.5 hours, you get to hang out with your friends, and enjoy the party. I'm sure they all get travel expenses and hotels etc as well so that would stretch the costs.

Also, simply playing for DC10 is sure to land you the exposure you want as a dj, and with that more bookings...it's a no brainer. It's the ones who don't play and demand a bigger fee that miss out.

I get that... to a degree. DC10 is cool but its not THAT cool. maybe 10-15 years ago different story. its not like DC10 throws this party for charity - they are making nice $. i'm going to try and find out from someone whose playing in Sept and see if i'm still way off base or not.

come on then, find out for us what the current fee is.

as for dc10 not being that cool anymore - I get what you're saying, but for a DJ, on ibiza, it's still the ONE club you want to play (if you play the more underground side of house and/or techno). it's still church. it might not be as cool or as 'hot tip' as it used to be until about 10 years ago, but nevertheless it's still 'ibiza benchmark'. I compare it as if you're suddenly booked to play berghain.

lastly don't forget that many of the DJs play very regularly (most of them every two weeks) so over the summer they're still going to make a decent fee out of this. but I rest my point, if you're a DJ and if you get to play dc10, you don't care how much you get. I firmly believe in that. ...there are a few exceptions, artists that didn't want to live that rule, and those have stopped playing dc10 suddenly you see...

as for dc10 not being that cool anymore - I get what you're saying, but for a DJ, on ibiza, it's still the ONE club you want to play (if you play the more underground side of house and/or techno). it's still church. it might not be as cool or as 'hot tip' as it used to be until about 10 years ago, but nevertheless it's still 'ibiza benchmark'. I compare it as if you're suddenly booked to play berghain.

lastly don't forget that many of the DJs play very regularly (most of them every two weeks) so over the summer they're still going to make a decent fee out of this. but I rest my point, if you're a DJ and if you get to play dc10, you don't care how much you get. I firmly believe in that. ...there are a few exceptions, artists that didn't want to live that rule, and those have stopped playing dc10 suddenly you see...

i am going to ask but i'm not going to of course give their name(s). hopefully should have an answer soon. i have no prob saying i'm wrong if its born out... and initial info you guys are posting suggests I am.

if its 500 euros + all travel expenses including flights, hotel, food, taxis, etc.... that I could see. and that for some of the djs would end up running into a few thousand euros cost. depending on where they are flying from...

Stivi sure of course you get the invite to play DC10, who says no ;)

FYI I enjoy DC10. went the 1st time in 2003 back when it was still open early mornings. Same party I remember ended up standing next to this really really tall guy at the dj booth and i said to myself - he looks like Rony Seikaly (who was well-known for being a NBA player in the US) but has to be someone that just looks like him. Years later when I saw he started djing at clubs I realized it was him - we had a nice laugh reminicing about that later.

i am going to ask about the fee but i'm not going to of course give the dj name(s). hopefully should have an answer soon. i have no prob saying i'm wrong if its born out... and so far all the info you guys are posting suggests I am.

if its 500 euros + all travel expenses including flights, hotel, food, taxis, etc.... that I could see. and that for some of the djs could end up running into a few thousand euros cost to the club depending on where they are flying from...

edit **

thinking more about it - I can totally see someone who lives on the island or happens to be in town for another gig being fine with 500 E.

My thought process was more about the people that would have to buy a flight from say London or Berlin or the US to get to Ibiza for their gig and they don't have any other Ibiza gigs to help amortize the cost.... Those who have to travel and get a hotel room would lose $ taking the 500 euros i think we can all agree if travel isn't included.

Last edited:

My thought process was more about the people that would have to buy a flight from say London or Berlin or the US to get to Ibiza for their gig and they don't have any other Ibiza gigs to help amortize the cost.... Those who have to travel and get a hotel room would lose $ taking the 500 euros i think we can all agree if travel isn't included.

Most DJs will have other bookings around, and if they need to spend a couple of hundred euros on a flight no problem ! These guys will be putting their flights through their books as a business expense anyway. Also for CircoLoco the big paying gigs will be events & festival stages for them the rest
Of the year which most regulars benefit from.

A lot of venues couldn't get away with it, but for CircoLoco I genuinely believe they do

Back