EDM

I must say though that new Calvin Harris tune is very hard to listen to.

The new single? Yeah it's a bit flat imho. His Motion album had a large number of good tunes with a few duds.

Then again David Guettas Listen I was disappointed with, however when one comes on in the random shuffle in my music play list I find some of them grow a bit on me.

I found the Essential Clubhouse cds (summer/winter) have a pretty good mix of stuff. Also quite liking max vangeli podcasts recently.

But like many things is subjective and end of the day I'm happy for people to enjoy what they like even if it's not my cuppa tea. - I like that about ibiza, different view points and interests make it interesting.

One of the things I love about Ibiza is the relaxed, happy vibe most seem to have there. I have yet to encounter a person so 'into' their music thank god. Music is music, we all like different things. I don't like a particular type of music that is played in Ibiza but I don't think I know more about music than the boring ones that by tickets to hear it.
I really do not understand how different genres being in Ibiza could bother anyone.
I wouldn't go to reggae beach and complain there's too much new reggae attracting the young ones & not enour Bob Marley!

I really do not understand how different genres being in Ibiza could bother anyone.

I think Ibiza will always reflect the state and colour of the current clubbing scene. It's basically a little microcosm.

I'm more interested in the impact its having on clubbing and various other types of dance music. Or, on the flipside, what EDM says about the people who are going clubbing these days. I don't think it's necessarily about hate - it's just an interesting cultural debate. The landscape has changed so much.

I think the only reason it has stirred up so much emotion is the money associated with it vs the talent/sophistication involved in producing it.

The obscene fees that the EDM guys command largely in America, but also in Europe, as well as the - brace yourselves - "VIP culture" it appears to have become explicitly attached to are a case in point.

Seth Troxler has had a pop at this in the past, if you compare the EDM scene with underground house/techno scene...on the one side you've got someone being paid tens if not hundreds of thousands of euros playing EDM with drop after drop and then messing about throwing cake at people. On the other side you have got dj's at the top of their art playing somewhere like DC10 where all the dj's get paid the same fee (€500 if I remember correctly).

I'm not naive enough to say that there is no money or "VIP's" in the underground house/techno scene but I can see why so much beef has emerged.

I never thought of Steve aoki as edm more I dunno house and techno.

As for the drops, yeah they get boring after a while and very gimmicky. I do like things that surprise, this for instance :

Sure you ain't gonna dance to it like crazy but nice change of pace

I think the only reason it has stirred up so much emotion is the money associated with it vs the talent/sophistication involved in producing it.

The obscene fees that the EDM guys command largely in America, but also in Europe, as well as the - brace yourselves - "VIP culture" it appears to have become explicitly attached to are a case in point.

Seth Troxler has had a pop at this in the past, if you compare the EDM scene with underground house/techno scene...on the one side you've got someone being paid tens if not hundreds of thousands of euros playing EDM with drop after drop and then messing about throwing cake at people. On the other side you have got dj's at the top of their art playing somewhere like DC10 where all the dj's get paid the same fee (€500 if I remember correctly).

I'm not naive enough to say that there is no money or "VIP's" in the underground house/techno scene but I can see why so much beef has emerged.

i'm willing to bet you a red bull and vodka the DC10 djs on monday get WAY more than 500 Euros.

And the EDM fees/popularity has a trickle-down affect where top underground djs here get 5-figure booking fees in the US at larger clubs and festivals ;-)

i'm willing to bet you a red bull and vodka the DC10 djs on monday get WAY more than 500 Euros.

You may be right, I though I had heard it during one of the IMS interviews one year though...

And the EDM fees/popularity has a trickle-down affect where top underground djs here get 5-figure booking fees in the US at larger clubs and festivals ;-)

You are correct, like I said I am not naive to think that the big underground house and techno guys aren't getting paid....for me it is the sheer amount of cash vs the talent required.

Steve Aioki making a remix of the titanic theme tune and playing it out at a festival during a 90 minute set and collecing $$$ makes me shudder.

You may be right, I though I had heard it during one of the IMS interviews one year though...

You are correct, like I said I am not naive to think that the big underground house and techno guys aren't getting paid....for me it is the sheer amount of cash vs the talent required.

Steve Aioki making a remix of the titanic theme tune and playing it out at a festival during a 90 minute set and collecing $$$ makes me shudder.

if i was a booking agent i wouldn't send my client to DC10 for 500 euros when you look at the ticket price and # of people going. with the # of djs on the lineup each week maybe 5000 euros might be more realistic on average... if you got only 500 euros you'd be losing $ when you add in expenses.

No doubt edm and all the dance music dominating the charts nowadays is making my visits to ibiza a lot more expensive than they used to be , what with it bringing more people to ibiza and now the Americans have got involved the djs cost more causing clubs to charge more for drinks and entry. And that is one reason why I hate edm , along with the fact it's shite entry level dance music .

i associate EDM with some of the background music on early video console games, mario brothers and sonic the hedgehog spring to mind. I think the get out clause for any justification of it being considered is it does state DANCE therefore it has a wide spectrum. If it where referred to as electronic HOUSE music then i would say you can F** OFF! Very much each to their own though.

What is everyone's thoughts on EDM music and the more commercial end?

Personally think it is an abomination.

I Love it. I was actually sitting drinking Kristal with my good friends Dave and Cathy in the VIP area of Ushuaia a couple of weeks ago and i said that their parties bring a whole new freshness to what was basically becoming a really boring scene on Ibiza.

All that hideous house music that started it off, then an abomination of a couple of years where Trance was popular among the great unwashed. Who can forget the ear bleeding awfulness of the UK Garage scene and R&B nights at the best Superclub on the Island (Eden) Then we had Electro house, Techno, back to more hideous house and then the utter insomnia curing deep and underground house nights that were more suited to valium than ecstacy....

I put it to you SIR that EDM, SHM, Calvin, Avicci and David Guetta in particular have SAVED IBIZA!!!!

if i was a booking agent i wouldn't send my client to DC10 for 500 euros when you look at the ticket price and # of people going.

dj's love playing there, massive names used to turn up and offer to play for free remember. I think it is more seen as the promoter not wanting to single dj's out and pay them more than the residents etc...keep it a "family" atmosphere among the artists that play. Also I assume travel etc is covered, and lets face it there aren't too many other Monday gigs flying about.

Maybe someone who knows better can clarify?

Nu Metal got alot of hate from the veteran metallers although it introduced me to the genre and it's subgenres 15 years ago. 2000 was around the time metal became commercial.
I think it was way before this, in around 1979 or 1980 the explosion of what was called "NWOBH" or the new wave of british heavy metal spurned out commercial metal shite like iron maiden, saxon, motorhead. Admittedly i lived in that era and was a fan who had long long hair and band patches on my jacket.

Unfortunately It happens with all music genres, people like to think they are cool when its semi underground but as soon as it gets commercial they turn their noses up......bit pretentious me thinks!!

If you like it then so what?
One of the things I love about Ibiza is the relaxed, happy vibe most seem to have there. I have yet to encounter a person so 'into' their music thank god. Music is music, we all like different things. I don't like a particular type of music that is played in Ibiza but I don't think I know more about music than the boring ones that by tickets to hear it.
I wouldn't go to reggae beach and complain there's too much new reggae attracting the young ones & not enour Bob Marley!
agree 100%

you might as well lose that RB & vodka.

I am not 100% sure it's still 500€ (but yes, that's what it used to be), maybe it's double nowadays, but what is true (AFAIK) is that they all get the same amount of money and that, compared to almost everywhere else they play, it's really a VERY small fee.

I Love it. I was actually sitting drinking Kristal with my good friends Dave and Cathy in the VIP area of Ushuaia a couple of weeks ago and i said that their parties bring a whole new freshness to what was basically becoming a really boring scene on Ibiza.

All that hideous house music that started it off, then an abomination of a couple of years where Trance was popular among the great unwashed. Who can forget the ear bleeding awfulness of the UK Garage scene and R&B nights at the best Superclub on the Island (Eden) Then we had Electro house, Techno, back to more hideous house and then the utter insomnia curing deep and underground house nights that were more suited to valium than ecstacy....

I put it to you SIR that EDM, SHM, Calvin, Avicci and David Guetta in particular have SAVED IBIZA!!!!

Ha ha! :lol:

Like most things "it depends"

Is some edm cheesy and rubbish, yes definitely. But then that's true of all genres.

My simple basic understanding is edm is pop music with a Base line. Pure Techno is just the Base line with everything else in between (or encompassing )

Do I think it's horrible? No I actually like a lot of the quality stuff, usually because it has good lyrics you can find meaning in and attach to with a beat (Calvin Harris - Under Control for example). And so do many others judging by what sells out and ticket prices.

Would I listen to it 100% of the time? No cause I get bored if something is just repeated over and over. But that's same for texhno; beat goes on for ages with no change I get bored. Trance too but to a lesser amount as it's more all over the place which I like.

So for me techno isn't the sweet spot and feel few hours I get bored. Do I think its shite? No it's still music. Same with edm, may not be your thing or even hate it but it is still music.

The problem is music is highly subjective and in all genres there are shit tracks and good tracks.

I find people who go bonkers saying xyz is shite and should be destroyed usually are more closed to new music. I really dislike hard rock and metal but understand its music and liked by many.

As for the cross pollution of genres that always happens and can result in new interesting music or crap. There will always be niches for the original "pure" origins if you look.

*these are my opinions and are not to be taken as a absolute truth of the universe and how it is :D

if you're being sent promo files from juno or wherever and the track is called 'fuk dis pussy!!' or whatever with some half-arsed steve karaoki remix for additional tortuous impact, should the open minded dj listen to it in a spirit of fair play OR does he acquaint it with his junk folder...

if you're being sent promo files from juno or wherever and the track is called 'fuk dis pussy!!' or whatever with some half-arsed steve karaoki remix for additional tortuous impact, should the open minded dj listen to it in a spirit of fair play OR does he acquaint it with his junk folder...
I sometimes inadvertently press play on some tracks in my soundcloud feed. I can id said offending tunes within two beats, like the champion of "Name That Tune" 1983.
Tom OConnor would be impressed!

Back