EDM

Dirk

What is everyone's thoughts on EDM music and the more commercial end?

Personally think it is an abomination.

I'll throw the question back: is your current intolerance towards EDM any worse than your past intolerances towards, say, commercial RnB Pop in the 00s??

It's just mainstream pop music. Fine to dislike it. Just don't waste energy on doing so.

Last edited:
I don't like the music but it plays a great role in separating the people who are clueless about house music from the real crowd

I'll throw the question back: is your current intolerance towards EDM any worse than your past intolerances towards, say, commercial RnB Pop in the 00s??

It's just mainstream pop music. Fine to dislike it. Just don't waste energy on doing so.

What an awful time for music that was.

Not really. More similar to my dislike of Happy Hardcore back in the day, probably more to do with the people it attracts. I can actually handle some pop music for what it is, if it is good music it is good music.

That's EDM crowd though - whilst I personally think they have appalling taste - they're sooooooooo harmless. Most of them are just kids out for a good time. No pretension amongst them.

In the hierarchy of 21st C musical evil i'd place 'edm' at number 3, just behind 'corporate indie' and 'planet cowell' and just ahead of 'trap' and 'nu-metal'

As a trance fan, I personally find it hard to analyse EDM outside the scope of what I think it's done to the modern trance scene.

A little snippet from an as yet unpublished article I'm writing:

The American EDM boom has a lot to answer for. Even if trance pretends like it has stayed at arm’s length from EDM’s slimy tentacles, it has still had a very real knock on effect. We have lost some very unique, interesting artists to it – like Sander Van Doorn, Marcus Schossow, Ummet Ozcan and Cosmic Gate. All of trance’s original ‘big 4’ – Armin Van Buuren, Paul Van Dyk, Ferry Corsten and Tiesto – have succumbed to a watering down or a dumbing down in varying forms. More fundamentally, EDM has unconsciously reinforced the value of impact over subtly and spectacle over emotion across many areas of modern dance music.

That is from a trance perspective. I'd be really interested to hear from the house/techno-heads whether it has had any impact on proper house or techno music at all.

And oh, yeah. To my ears, it's a musical car crash. When it first emerged, I did go along with it. Enjoyed some tunes. But the longer it has gone on the more mindless and stupid it has begun to sound. Just endlessly unimaginative.

In the hierarchy of 21st C musical evil i'd place 'edm' at number 3, just behind 'corporate indie' and 'planet cowell' and just ahead of 'trap' and 'nu-metal'

Nu Metal got alot of hate from the veteran metallers although it introduced me to the genre and it's subgenres 15 years ago. 2000 was around the time metal became commercial.
Can imagine it's the same thing now with EDM.

Has PvD sold out as well!? :eek:

Most agree that PvD's sets for the last 2 years have been significantly watered down. Slower tempos, bigger drops. EDM-pandering for sure. Although, there's an argument for saying he has sold out the least of the 4 of them.

Really good piece though. I'd like to read the rest when finished.

Yeah, will definitely post here when done. It's a two part-er about the state of the trance scene at the moment.

Yes, no one playing techno now plays EDM.

Interesting.

This is a sad indictment of the current trance scene then. As much as I love trance (always have, always will) it did seem more primed for an EDM infiltration. I should've known that the US's sudden interest in trance festivals and names like Armin Van Buuren was bad news.

The last overlap between techno and trance was in the early 90s. The German producers were kings - i'm talking about the likes of westbam, hardfloor, torsten fenslau, early PVD, anything on r&s Thereafter, everyone went in very different directions... Trance is a dirty word in techno circles and let's not get on to hard house!

The last overlap between techno and trance was in the early 90s. The German producers were kings - i'm talking about the likes of westbam, hardfloor, torsten fenslau, early PVD, anything on r&s Thereafter, everyone went in very different directions... Trance is a dirty word in techno circles and let's not get on to hard house!

I think there is more overlap between true techno, house and trance than you might think, even today. Or potential overlap at least. I've played some warm up sets for trance events recently where a synergy of the sounds actually works really well - if you work at it. And the crowd was receptive.

BUT... EDM feels and sounds like a different world altogether. There's a very jarring contrast. My beef is that the sounds in EDM have influenced trance and the trance scene itself too much. In a way, it's distracted trance music from its true soul.

And going back to your point, I think the more the trance music sounds influenced by anything EDM, the more it mixes poorly with genuine house and techno - both musically and as a scene.

Like most things "it depends"

Is some edm cheesy and rubbish, yes definitely. But then that's true of all genres.

My simple basic understanding is edm is pop music with a Base line. Pure Techno is just the Base line with everything else in between (or encompassing )

Do I think it's horrible? No I actually like a lot of the quality stuff, usually because it has good lyrics you can find meaning in and attach to with a beat (Calvin Harris - Under Control for example). And so do many others judging by what sells out and ticket prices.

Would I listen to it 100% of the time? No cause I get bored if something is just repeated over and over. But that's same for texhno; beat goes on for ages with no change I get bored. Trance too but to a lesser amount as it's more all over the place which I like.

So for me techno isn't the sweet spot and feel few hours I get bored. Do I think its shite? No it's still music. Same with edm, may not be your thing or even hate it but it is still music.

The problem is music is highly subjective and in all genres there are shit tracks and good tracks.

I find people who go bonkers saying xyz is shite and should be destroyed usually are more closed to new music. I really dislike hard rock and metal but understand its music and liked by many.

As for the cross pollution of genres that always happens and can result in new interesting music or crap. There will always be niches for the original "pure" origins if you look.

*these are my opinions and are not to be taken as a absolute truth of the universe and how it is :D

Back