Economy poll

Following the election and subsequent three years the economy is likely to:

• Recover drastically and the UK will prosper.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Robder

I've been banging on about this for ages so thought I'd create a poll.

Prediction...after the election, and before mid 2011 there will be an economic dip bigger than the last (along with another 'spin' on recovery) followed by a downward spiral over the following few years into UK bankruptcy.

Tell me I'm wrong and vote here. :p

Note => this is just for fun purposes only and I'm not about to enter into a yawnsome debate about politics. Tear me to shreds if you wish. :lol:

I voted stabilize. I think we'll see a bit of stagnation everywhere for a while, with the exception of certain emerging economies.

I may be wrong, but isn't the Greek situation more to do with the problem people and businesses not paying taxes as opposed to government over-spending?

For me, I'm hopeful of an upward trend. While I'm not 100% happy about the government having to dip further into the red, the consequences of inaction would have been far worse, wouldn't it?

I would like to see governments being a bit more careful in the future with our cash. Two examples which immediately spring to mind, the millenium dome and the scottish parliament. Or that NHS IT system that seems to never have materialised. Or what about all the money wasted on trying to bring in id cards?

I may be wrong, but isn't the Greek situation more to do with the problem people and businesses not paying taxes as opposed to government over-spending?
There was definitely some overspending. They had deficits far in excess of what they were supposed to under the Euro deal, and then hid billions of Euros in liabilities with the able assistance of Goldman Sachs!

yes you are right...

but in fact it was quite surprising to see everyone's attention turning to Greece's financial situation while there are other countries with bigger budget deficits (is this correct ? i used google translation!) than ours...

and now the problems are getting bigger!

the greeks cooked the books in order to meet the criteria for the joining the €

everyone's known this for years but it was swept under the carpet

the germans are well within their rights to be pissed off

as for general economic predictions - the UK govt is in denial about the problems in the economy ie too dependent on the city for too many years and not enough people making things to export....

the UK's in massive decline but what politician is going to have the balls to admit it

to cut the debt they could make a start and cut things we don't need like er Trident and pointless wars in foreign lands we have no right to be in

the good times are over, seat belts on etc etc

the greeks cooked the books in order to meet the criteria for the joining the €

everyone's known this for years but it was swept under the carpet

the germans are well within their rights to be pissed off

as for general economic predictions - the UK govt is in denial about the problems in the economy ie too dependent on the city for too many years and not enough people making things to export....

the UK's in massive decline but what politician is going to have the balls to admit it

to cut the debt they could make a start and cut things we don't need like er Trident and pointless wars in foreign lands we have no right to be in

the good times are over, seat belts on etc etc

I'm slightly OCD. Vote please.

it's at least impressive though that from the 9 voters so far no one thinks that the econmy will recover drastically and the UK will prosper... :lol::rolleyes:

It is still grim. Chap next to me made redundant last week.

We need honesty firstly as a couple of points have made.

Political leadership. Standing up and saying, we will have to cut X, Y & Z, it will hurt and a double dip may happen & there ain't a great deal we can do with it.

Public expenditure will drop off before the retail world starts expanding again & a double ender may be the result.

There are still thousands of flats in eye view of my office, empty. There is still to many car manufacturers to make sense. There is still over capacity. Anecdotaly & instinctively may I add.

The more I read the more concerned I get tbh. All the private equity deals that part fuelled the madness are on 3-5 year renewals & there is just not the appetite out there & is unlikely to be then. Cue lots of firms going to gash over next decade.

Gulp.

Last edited by a moderator:
double gulp.

i'm reading castro's autobiography at the mo where the interviewer (it was done Q&A style) has a dig about his predictions about capitalism collapsing.

that was in 2005/6.

treble gulp.

(great read by the way - amazing story)

Grego - where on earth is that thread about the G20 'g20 summit' or 'g20 meltdown' or something. Can't find it. Grrr.

It'll be interesting to see how people's views have changed since then...

I would like to see governments being a bit more careful in the future with our cash. Two examples which immediately spring to mind, the millenium dome and the scottish parliament. Or that NHS IT system that seems to never have materialised. Or what about all the money wasted on trying to bring in id cards?

8)

Become a 'consultant' and you can have a slice of the pie.

Struggling to decide what would be worse for the economy. Being ruled by the Tories or a hung parliment?

Ideology driven cuts, or nothing at all as we are all to scared to take the pill.

Suspect the later will happen.

Massive strategy mistakes by the tories. That poster & the bullying non-story spring to mind immediately. Oh and we will make cuts oh but not big bad cuts thing.

Comic if they can not beat Brown given whats been before.

Back