Economy poll

Following the election and subsequent three years the economy is likely to:

• Recover drastically and the UK will prosper.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Massive strategy mistakes by the tories. That poster & the bullying non-story spring to mind immediately. Oh and we will make cuts oh but not big bad cuts thing.

Comic if they can not beat Brown given whats been before.

indeedy...

My remedy 4pm cheltenham
Im so Lucky
Great endeavour

european-debt.jpg

The budget deficit (annual rate at which the national debt is increasing) is the worrying figure. The UK government's spending is running out of control faster than Greece's. If the markets turn on us like they did to Greece expect things to get a lot worse very quickly.

I'm slightly OCD. Vote please.

how do you know I didn't?!

re: election - a hung parliament is the least bad outcome for me - if the liberals held the balance of power they would demand PR - if we had PR that would mean a fairer voting system and I think that would mean less authoritarian nonsense like id cards, and spooks spying on you, it would also mean madness like Iraq could've been avoided...

how do you know I didn't?!

re: election - a hung parliament is the least bad outcome for me - if the liberals held the balance of power they would demand PR - if we had PR that would mean a fairer voting system and I think that would mean less authoritarian nonsense like id cards, and spooks spying on you, it would also mean madness like Iraq could've been avoided...

Sorry no no no no no!

What we do need is something to be done. Not spend the entire 4 years a state of even cheaper point scoring & bill blokcking.

imo it's a recession like any other... up and down up and down such is a the nature of a capitalist society - always has been, always will be.

we just need to learn to temper the size of the peaks and troughs. but each recession tends to be a generation apart so no-one remembers.

workl colleague just come back from the bank and was told that the Banks have been put under pressure by the govt to write off bad debts of companies that have gone under so they can lend to new businesses - this includes companies started from the ones that have gone under and have had their bad debts written off, all so the givt can say, debt is down, and lending is up!

bastards...

workl colleague just come back from the bank and was told that the Banks have been put under pressure by the govt to write off bad debts of companies that have gone under so they can lend to new businesses - this includes companies started from the ones that have gone under and have had their bad debts written off, all so the givt can say, debt is down, and lending is up!

bastards...

"Pheonix"companies who operate like this are the bain of businesses everywhere.

The problem being that it is too easy to set up a company and too hard / impossible to check if a company you are supplying is legit.

If I had voted when you first posted this I would have said slight dip but after yesterday I think we're on our way to the shizer.

have very mixed views on yesterday's cuts

basically, Gordon swelled the state payroll thinking (or at least deceiving people into thinking) the good times would last forever and basically he never acknowledged somebody was going to eventually have to pay for it. He encouraged a culture of debt from grassroots up. The danger signs were there long before the banking crisis. Similar story all over Europe, cushy jobs suddenly no longer sustainable and those demos are the angry sounds of vested interests defending their turf.

Having dealt with bored police clerks, being manhandled by council stewards at public events, been ignored by noise prevention officers, and been haraased by council noise pollution officers, and been sneered at by CSA telephone operators, all I can say is tough titties, really. My sympathy for those people is something close to zilch.

However, Gideon went TOO far and attacking innocent people at the very bottom eg the disabled who can't work is downright immoral

These people I have massive sympathy for

as for council tax, that's going to be chaotic - I only hope my single person's discount is safe?

Now should he have 'eaten the rich' ? whilst this seems the obvious answer, I'm not sure it would work, a/there still wouldn't be enough cash and b/you probably wouldn't see any of it, chasing the rich out of town. The population of the caymen islands would swell overnight... 70s keith richards stylee... maybe I don't know enough about economics but I would rather see the rich paying crumbs than not paying anything at all

did they chicken out on Trident? my guess is that Cameron was caught between the Libs and the hard right of his party, which is why he kicked the decision into touch. At some point, that will be the biggest decision any British PM has taken for YEARS. Not just the financials, but psychologically it would finally kill off Britain as a world player. Hence the lingering denial... we are not a big player anymore, in fact the whole of Europe is struggling to adapt to the migration of wealth to the emerging markets - China, India, Brazil and this CORRECTION of the national economies is long overdue

so I don't necessarily see it as "Thatcher - the next generation" even though some of the cuts are undoubtedly nasty - I see it as a pretty desperate and pretty cack-handed response to simply having not having that much in the coffers anymore, and more disturbingly still, not many people have many ideas about how to refill those coffers... the cuts could have been phased in more gently and at higher income groups but ultimately the state isn't affordable with an ageing population and simply less wealth being generated. Something had to give..

hold tight, those cuts are going to be brutal, and god knows what social chaos will ensue when the reality kicks in.

Poll tax riots round II? maybe - will be an interesting test of whether the x-factor generation is totally apathetic and whether there is still any fire in the belly

however you look at it, depressing times indeed

The gap between rich and poor will widen massively over the next decade.

It's rather sickening to think this will be happening under a part Liberal government. What a f*cked up state of affairs.

This sums it up;

There is one stark symbol of how unjust the response to this economic disaster caused by bankers is. They have just paid themselves £7bn in bonuses – much of it our money – to reward themselves for failure. That's the same sum Osborne took from the benefits of the British poor yesterday, who did nothing to cause this crash. And he has the chutzpah to brag about "fairness."

(c) Independent

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't understand why anyone is surprised that a conservative government would cut public services and welfare support given the opportunity.

This is exactly what I was expecting, we've just got to suck it up for the next 5 years.

And considering the shower of ****ee now heading up the opposition they'll be there for a while.

Power to the People?... not likely.

Just ineffective demonstrations leading to nothing but tighter controls on civil liberties.

Don't think for a second that cameron is going to allow the oiks to charge around Central London like the last lot did.

See you all on the other side....

6a00d83452654869e200e55282a8928834-500pi

I'm pleased with the spending review... looks good!

"Non Jobs" being slashed. Kick up the arse for the bone idle, 'scuse me, long term sick.

Education and the beloved NHS budgets to increase.

Dunno what you are all moaning about.

Back