Drugs

doesn't Oregon also have some of the most progressive assisted-dying laws in the world? Sounds like my kinda place

the brilliant "wild wild country" was filmed there too (has anyone not yet seen it? tv at its absolute best)

the local votes are often a lot more interesting that the headline battles. below the surface there is encouraging evidence that the US is getting more liberal in lots of areas - some hope there for the future at least...

This is a direct result of the Mayor allowing "camping" in any public space a few years ago AND having zero funds allocated for drug/alc treatment. The weed tax pays for outreach, treatment, etc. And this is a fantastic way to allow police to reallocate their time and efforts to actual crime vs. petty arrests.
Is LA really as bad as videos on YouTube let us believe..camps everywhere

Is LA really as bad as videos on YouTube let us believe..camps everywhere
LA is mostly fine. Skid row is VERY real, and there is a massive homeless crisis driven by warm weather and favorable social programs.

LA is like most large cities, mostly OK but have places you shouldn't go to without understanding what you're getting yourself into.

LA is incredibly large geographically and has large income inequality across most of it which drives poor neighborhoods and crime.

yeah am aware of that and we saw how vast it is! the homeless we saw were in downtown, between city hall and union station. other areas seemed perfectly fine

yeah am aware of that and we saw how vast it is! the homeless we saw were in downtown, between city hall and union station. other areas seemed perfectly fine
lol I had been there a few times and didn't realize the size until I paid attention flying in. The city starts and you're still 25 mins from landing! totally wild.

The City puts an emphasis on tourist areas, high visibility areas, etc. to essentially keep them free from the homeless. It's bad for their image and business.

Back