DJing at work Christmas bash.

West London Shadow

No idea why I volunteered. :rolleyes:

Basement of Drunken Monkey in Shoreditch.

What to play? Was thinking along lines of Simian Mobile Disco - Cruel Intentions... i.e. non offensive, but still 8).

Any suggestions more than welcome.

Back out of it as quickly as you can...

I did this once and it was a nightmare. Wayne from Sales wanting The Pogues and Sharon, PA to a Director wanting Wigfield on repeat...

:spank:

I had a nightmare a couple of years ago as I organised a work xmas event at the London Dungeons and we booked a trully terrible DJ who just played garbage like The Egg and Fedde Le Grand all night - my MD was not impressed! I think it depends on your workforce - age is quite important too, some of the people in their late 40s/50s may hardly ever get on a dancefloor and need to be accomodated too before they get the last train back to Penge, so the early tracks should be 70s/80s - classic disco, club tropicana, michael jackson, pet shop boys, a few cheeky 2 many dj-style mash-ups that make people chuckle - pop but nothing too naff, all 3/4mins long and certainly nothing to scare the horses, then as the evening wears on and only the younger staff are left, you can up the tempo, the women often want rnb or will smith, which is a nightmare for many working DJs I know - get round this by playing the missy elliott get ur freak on / bubba sparx medley, or the reggae version of beyonce's crazy in love, maybe some basement jaxx with an 'urban' feel like red alert, madonna - music, then bring in the classic house in the final hour for the remaining 5 people in the room who won't give a XXXX - blaze - most precious love, marshall jefferson - house music anthem, sydney youngblood - 'if only I could' and end with something romantic for the people who got off - definitely seek this track out if you can: exile - 'kiss you all over' - brennan green edit Let us know how you get on!

cheers olly. quite a young crowd ... mid 20s to late 30s and the majority quite 'skooled' considering the nature of our business. even one of the more boring/spoony types was a resident at turnmills many years ago.

will check the ones you suggested... also thought planet rock, perfect motion (boys own) rhyhmn on the loose - break of dawn, shannon - let the music play, have a booty of sweet dreams v just dance (lady gaga) which works, hideaway (young punx edit), river ocean - love & happiness etc etc.

i feel it will still end in :cry: &
post-5758-1225601204.gif

Id book someone else , bring some of your tunes. Play some decent stuff when the time fits , get twatted for the rest of it , most people will think you were the best dj on the night!8)

Its a Christmas party so keep it light, cheery and fun thats means not trying to show off your DJing skills and knowledge of music. Some might think you are being cocky if you try too hard.

Play plenty of Christmas tunes the usual old chestnuts like Wham's Last Christmas and Fairytale of New York etc

Maybe theme the night as a "School Disco" event and play that style of music.

Im out every weekend for at least 2 nights from next week onwards with christmas parties and they are a much different and easier gig to play.

Chart music will be popular especially with the ladies.

Below is a list of Chart tunes that are very popular with the girls so far this year

Most importantly have fun and enjoy yourself and dont take it too seriously.

Best of luck

file:///C:/Users/Public/Music/Amy%20Winehouse%20(Mark%20Ronson)%20%20-%20Valerie.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a Christmas party so keep it light, cheery and fun thats means not trying to show off your DJing skills and knowledge of music. Some might think you are being cocky if you try too hard.

Play plenty of Christmas tunes the usual old chestnuts like Wham's Last Christmas and Fairytale of New York etc

Maybe theme the night as a "School Disco" event and play that style of music.

Im out every weekend for at least 2 nights from next week onwards with christmas parties and they are a much different and easier gig to play.

Chart music will be popular especially with the ladies.

Below is a list of Chart tunes that are very popular with the girls so far this year

Most importantly have fun and enjoy yourself and dont take it too seriously.

Best of luck

file:///C:/Users/Public/Music/Beyonce%20-%20Single%20Ladies%20(Put%20a%20Ring%20on%20it)(1).mp3

playing wedding cheese is easy - playing credible stuff which is also popular is much harder and I would add a much more interesting challenge. DJing is a serious business, otherwise why not just stick some jukebox on in the corner :rolleyes:

A lot of Cheese I know but they work well to a mixed crowd

Beyoncé Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) R&B Blame it on boogie 3:31 Jacksons five Other 3 Poker Face 3:58 Lady Gaga Dancing On The Ceiling 4:22 Lionel Richie Billboard Top 100 of 1986 Pop 1 Mambo No.5 3:42 Lou Bega 90s 1 Don't Stop the Music 4:27 Rihanna Good Girl Gone Bad R&B Pon de Replay 4:07 Rihanna Music Of The Sun Reggae 1 Don't Ya Wish Your Girlfriend Was Hot Like Me 4:32 Pussycat Dolls Eminem feat. Nate Dogg - Shake That Ass HD (REP) 3:55 Pitbull - hotel room 4:16 Break My Stride 2:57 Blue Lagoon [Electronica/Dance Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow (David Guetta Remix) 4:06 Tick - Tock 3:34 Alexandra Burke ft. Flo Rida Bad Boys Lyrics 3:55 Pitbull - I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho) (REMIX) 4:32 1 Boom Boom 4:27 Pitbull and Flo Rider Get The Party Started (Sweet Dreams Remix) 4:05 Pink feat. Redman Get The Party Started (Remix C R&B Valerie 3:41 Amy Winehouse (Mark Ronson) Pop 2 Boom Boom Boom 3:24 Vengaboys Other 20 Lady Ga Ga - Bad Romance 4:23 20 Saturday Night 4:02 Whigfield Greatest Party Album under the Sun, The : Disk 2 of 2 Pop Meet Me Halfway - Black Eyed Peas with Lyrics 4:45 I Gotta Feeling 4:06 Black Eyed Peas Boom Boom Pow 2009 Hip Hop 3 When Love Takes Over Kelly Rowland and David Guetta- David Guetta Feat Akon Sexy Bitch 2oo9

playing wedding cheese is easy - playing credible stuff which is also popular is much harder and I would add a much more interesting challenge. DJing is a serious business, otherwise why not just stick some jukebox on in the corner :rolleyes:

But its a Christmas Party and they are in General, Cheesy affairs. Thats why they are popular. They are supposed to be fun

If they want to hear good house music then go on to a club later......

But its a Christmas Party and they are in General, Cheesy affairs. Thats why they are popular. They are supposed to be fun

If they want to hear good house music then go on to a club later......

then what's the point of this thread then? everybody knows the classic cheese office party records - my reading was WLS was looking for some ideas beyond that

I read it that he was looking for suggestions and ideas.

Its either a Christmas Party Bash or a club music event it cant really be both.

Playing Freestyle would be my suggestion, then he would be able to bring in a few club tracks and experiment a little more. But he would still need to bring his Stilton and Christmas Tunes.

exile - 'kiss you all over' - brennan green edit

I ****ing love this track (or some recent re-edit, tho I thought hte name was something Italian sounding?).

Pretty much worth doing the gig to be able to play it! :D

Back