☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest although this thread can be a headache I feel that most of the time the differences fall between the lines of healthy debate, which should be encouraged.
Underneath it all I think we share lots of the same goals and values.
I get pretty much all my covid info here as opposed to the news, and the discussion here looks like royalty compared to most Facebook discussions.

N.Ireland
Completely backwards place.
We have had 6 nights in a row of riots and cars being set alight here this week and I'm not even sure what the the riots are about this time. Even when I Google it Im still not sure lol
Brexit related I think.
Stopped caring.
Think its to do with that ira funeral. Do you ever think that they'll drag their feet for as long as possible here? Churches and garden centres are open so they're happy enough. They'd love the bars to be shut here.

Think its to do with that ira funeral. Do you ever think that they'll drag their feet for as long as possible here? Churches and garden centres are open so they're happy enough. They'd love the bars to be shut here.
Are you in n.i aswell mate?
I'm so fed up hearing about that funeral 😅

To be honest although this thread can be a headache I feel that most of the time the differences fall between the lines of healthy debate, which should be encouraged.
Underneath it all I think we share lots of the same goals and values.
I get pretty much all my covid info here as opposed to the news, and the discussion here looks like royalty compared to most Facebook discussions.
I'm looking forward to when we get to the bit like the end of The Wonder Years, where the drama is all over and the narrator tells of what we all learned, and that we weren't that different after all. By then Erik/Elrow will be wearing a mask for giggles and we'll all be all be hugging at DC10

It happened. Whenever I or someone else stated governments would not give back the freedom they took so easily...that statement got ridiculed
Governments never give back any freedoms voluntarily, but after a successful mass vaccination, the pressure to give freedoms back will increase and force their hand. People like myself who supported the measures will switch sides as soon as the numbers support it.

I'm looking forward to when we get to the bit like the end of The Wonder Years, where the drama is all over and the narrator tells of what we all learned, and that we weren't that different after all. By then Erik/Elrow will be wearing a mask for giggles and we'll all be all be hugging at DC10
In years to come they will be having mask and social distancing parties to remember the good old days, just like "back to school" parties.

They will probably run videos of all the Downing Street briefings and have police outside ready to break in and fine everyone.

In years to come they will be having mask and social distancing parties to remember the good old days, just like "back to school" parties.

They will probably run videos of all the Downing Street briefings and have police outside ready to break in and fine everyone.
Perhaps a festive season to remember it? Corona-ween?

Governments never give back any freedoms voluntarily, but after a successful mass vaccination, the pressure to give freedoms back will increase and force their hand. People like myself who supported the measures will switch sides as soon as the numbers support it.

There's no reliable comparable model for how the vaccine programme can take over from lockdowns and restrictions or how long it'll last as the virus mutates. Multiple vaccines, different efficacies, different cultures etc.That's why it's unreasonable for people to try to pin down a final "permanent" answer about what future restrictions may or may not be needed now. Getting rid of lockdowns even if that means a life of testing for a year or two is a massive step forward. Provided the testing is relatively easy and most of all fast and reliable, it shouldn't be a big imposition.

I don't think some people on here appreciate that the number of fully vaccinated vulnerable people in UK (i.e. 2 clear weeks the other side of their second jab) is relatively small - barely 5m or so. Way under 20%. of vulnerable people. Plus the vaccines we were able to procure are at least 1/2 of unproven efficacy in preventing transmission and strength of response against SA/Brazil variants. In about 10-12 weeks' time we will see how well vaccinations can really substitute lockdowns. Global efforts to frustrate the pace of UK's herd immunity vaccination programme in favour of other countries' crisis needs, so that we cannot match the likes of USA with massive production and hoarded supplies, leave us for the rest of the year on a knife-edge instead of being comfortably ahead of the game.

As far as Europe is concerned, offering a first vaccination to everyone by September in practice means that hopefully by Christmas there should be herd immunity against original and UK variants. It does not mean that it's realistic to expect we can all enjoy a carefree Summer 2021. If vaccine production had been 4 times what it has been, and all European countries were as dedicated to delivery and uptake as UK was in January at the forefront of the Kent variant carnage European countries are now seeing for themselves, we would all be looking at a very rosy Summer right now. As it is, we are not in that place, but we're in a much better place than we were in March 2020 and that's a fact !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back