☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another night of mass civil unrest in The Netherlands. Violent clashes in a growing amount of cities all over the country.
Seems to be coordinated and encouraged by instagram, tiktok, telegram etc.
Rotterdam really looked like a warzone last night, police station set on fire, exploding cars, mass fights with riot police.

Doesn't look this is gonna end soon. New mass gatherings are expected tonight.
So while the curfew was meant to stop excesses such as small groups of young people gathering, it has now resulted in big groups of young people gathering. The looting and the violence looks terrible, we're seeing the heaviest riots since 40 years. Back then it was the squatters riots in Amsterdam but this time it's all over the country even in small countryside villages.

Talkshow discussions on national television are slowly showing some criticism on the government on this matter. The outtake from this is:
The violence is definitely not approved by anyone, however if you take away all liberties from the youth without perspective for almost a year now...and then add even new measures such as a curfew (and the explanation of government on that it's not because of growing cases but because of fear for the new variants of the virus)...this was to be expected. One quote that struck me yesterday:
"This is a radical and undesirable tip of the iceberg of a much larger amount of people disgruntled with the Covid-measures, the slow vaccine strategy and the government attitude".

Another night of mass civil unrest in The Netherlands. Violent clashes in a growing amount of cities all over the country.
Rotterdam really looked like a warzone last night, police station set on fire, exploding cars, mass fights with riot police.

So while the curfew was meant to stop excesses such as small groups of young people gathering, it has now resulted in big groups of young people gathering. The looting and the violence looks terrible, we're seeing the heaviest riots since 40 years. Back then it was the squatters riots in Amsterdam but this time it's all over the country even in small countryside villages.

Talkshow discussions on national television are slowly showing some criticism on the government on this matter. The outtake from this is:
The violence is definitely not approved by anyone, however if you take away all liberties from the youth without perspective for almost a year now...and then add even new measures such as a curfew (and the explanation of government on that it's not because of growing cases but because of fear for the new variants of the virus)...this was to be expected. One quote that struck me yesterday:
"This is a radical and undesirable tip of the iceberg of a much larger amount of people disgruntled with the Covid-measures, the slow vaccine strategy and the government attitude".
Was going to tag you, just saw it on the news, looks really bad

My worry is what comes next, especially in the US. Economic problems, distrust in the government and mainstream media, it's a breeding ground for right wing extremism

Also just ventured on other social media and have quickly come back here. We might get a bit heated at times but ar least it feels like we are all living on the same planet. Some of the stuff out there is just bizarre

Won't take long for the Brit chavs to look at the riots and think "that looks fun" and use covid as an excuse.

On the other hand the frustration of this going on and on with no end in sight - not even giving us a clue as to when we get our freedom back - is makingfolks like me turn angry. Thought getting the vaccines to the vulnerable was the way out? No, sir, gotta keep you all indoors so you aren't hit by a new strain we haven't found yet.

By now they should be finding ways to let us out safely, not pour more and more restrictions on us.

Also just ventured on other social media and have quickly come back here. We might get a bit heated at times but ar least it feels like we are all living on the same planet. Some of the stuff out there is just bizarre
Agree Hally. Twitter by example is the worst right now.

And look...this is a forum, it's all written text. While my opinion might differ from yours sometime, in person we would be able to see non-verbal communication and I truly believe we're all on the same page as far as wanting the best for everyone.
I wish everyone and their relatives to get through this safely and in good health.
Stating my (pragmatic and therefor probably insensitive) opinions on the measures might not have made me the most popular forum member of the year, but I guarantee you I'm just a nice dude you can have a drink and a good laugh with in Ibiza when all this is said and done ;)

Last edited:
Agree Hally. Twitter by example is the worst right now.

And look...this is a forum, it's all written text. While my opinion might differ from yours sometime, in person we would be able to see non-verbal communication and I truly believe we're all on the same page as far as wanting the best for everyone.
I wish everyone and their relatives to get through this safely and in good health.
Stating my opinion on the measures might not have made me the most popular forum member of the year, but I guarantee you I'm just a nice dude you can have a drink and a good laugh with in Ibiza when all this is said and done ;)
No doubt you are mate. Hopefully we can all get to Ibiza and find out soon(ish)

I've said it few times but life is pretty unrelentingly s**t right now and this forum gives me an opportunity to talk and unload about covid (which sadly dominates most of my waking thoughts). I get a bit heated sometimes (usually after a crap shift and red wine) but I value the sanity and level of respect from everyone on here. I have serious concerns about some of the people out there

I just want to go to Ibiza on June 28th!

Anyone looked at that vaccine calc recently? I’ve got from first jab July/second Dec to first jab March-April/ second July...???

whats the more clued up peoples thoughts?

Anyone looked at that vaccine calc recently? I’ve got from first jab July/second Dec to first jab March-April/ second July...???

whats the more clued up peoples thoughts?
It’s just a crude calculation based on the current pace of vaccinations. With stories of disrupted supplies and “lumpy bumpy deliveries” let’s see what happens over the next few weeks.

A lot will also depend if they shift from the 12 week gap between doses to anything shorter.

so 75% are over 55 then. The numbers over 55 should decrease as the vaccines work in...so hopefully the number of over 80's needing hospital treatment will be close to zero.
Then we can have a headline "100% of hospital admissions are under 80"

I think 55 is not sooo old. You are in the last quarter of your working life.

Was going to tag you, just saw it on the news, looks really bad

My worry is what comes next, especially in the US. Economic problems, distrust in the government and mainstream media, it's a breeding ground for right wing extremism

In the US, healthcare is shit, unemployment benefit is shit (if it exists at all). I 100% agree with covid restrictions but they need to be backed up with the appropriate aid from the state. In a developed country, there's no real reason why help can't be extended, bar greed.

Good news

In a developed country, there's no real reason why help can't be extended, bar greed.
In short: Were broke...

When I was a boy, I remember how they would talk about the national debt being $4 Trillion (total), now that's just the annual deficit. I would go on, but that would be drifting wayyyTF off topic.

Now back to 'Rona....

The far South West finally has 4 mass vaccination centres - first vaccines delivered today. Still waiting for anything in writing from NHS or GP (latter especially unhelpful) for 76 year old mum despite 80% of over-80s having now been vaccinated. So I went online and NHS booking system linked to her NHS number allowed an appointment at one of these new centres tomorrow. I imagine invitation is tied up in beaurocratic red tape somewhere. The second appointment had to be booked at the same time - not till middle of April ! Just relieved to get something finally sorted because she's been getting major anxiety that her GP and the system are going to screw up. It seems the booking system will allow anyone over 70 or clinically extremely vulnerable to book themselves in at a mass vaccination centre now 👍

I already had mentioned this once previously, but it's a few months back, and now more data is available.

imagine if covid's solution came from ibiza?

(the substance can be found in our seas right in front of us)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back