☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 days into wishy washy UK lockdown

Top slot on my recent google searches:

....has coronavirus stopped yet.....

? ?

For better or worse we should know within a few days if the social distancing is working in Italy and maybe a week for Spain. Once new cases show significant decline, its probably another 4-6 weeks to start safely re-opening things but with social distancing measures still in place.

Hospitals will still be at or over capacity for weeks after since severe / critical cases take weeks to resolve. Id imagine health care workers will need to some sort of break after weeks of non-stop work. Many of them have been infected themselves and will need to recover to return to work. Really smart countries will find a way to get new nursing and medical school graduates licensed and into the workforce to expand capacity. Manufacturing will need time to resupply protective equipment stockpiles locally and nationally.

Countries will need to have widespread and rapid result testing available and increased resources for contact tracing online to catch individual cases before they become outbreaks. Id expect airports to have temperature checks and security looking for passengers showing symptoms. Possibly even rapid onsite testing to do random sampling of travelers.

I'll note that each of these items are pretty large tasks to complete on their own in only 4-6 weeks, doing all of them will be a huge effort. But if even one link in the chain fails, it greatly increases the probability that a second wave of cases could put us back on widespread lock down.

For better or worse we should know within a few days if the social distancing is working in Italy and maybe a week for Spain. Once new cases show significant decline, its probably another 4-6 weeks to start safely re-opening things but with social distancing measures still in place.

Hospitals will still be at or over capacity for weeks after since severe / critical cases take weeks to resolve. Id imagine health care workers will need to some sort of break after weeks of non-stop work. Many of them have been infected themselves and will need to recover to return to work. Really smart countries will find a way to get new nursing and medical school graduates licensed and into the workforce to expand capacity. Manufacturing will need time to resupply protective equipment stockpiles locally and nationally.

Countries will need to have widespread and rapid result testing available and increased resources for contact tracing online to catch individual cases before they become outbreaks. Id expect airports to have temperature checks and security looking for passengers showing symptoms. Possibly even rapid onsite testing to do random sampling of travelers.

I'll note that each of these items are pretty large tasks to complete on their own in only 4-6 weeks, doing all of them will be a huge effort. But if even one link in the chain fails, it greatly increases the probability that a second wave of cases could put us back on widespread lock down.
Yes we are in this shit for a long while....few months at least if not till the end of the year. Difficult times...

Yeah , the second wave ... it starts again Dont hope , but its possible

Problem is solved when its scientific solved , I think

Trying to be as positive as I can, imagine nice the Ibiza beaches and countryside are going to look after even just a few weeks of less vistors and less pollution.

I dont like to see anyone out of work, and hope even a short season can be held to at least tide people over until 2021, but a bit of a break from the rampant commericalism and tourism growth isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Trying to be as positive as I can, imagine nice the Ibiza beaches and countryside are going to look after even just a few weeks of less vistors and less pollution.

I dont like to see anyone out of work, and hope even a short season can be held to at least tide people over until 2021, but a bit of a break from the rampant commericalism and tourism growth isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I agree on the fact ibiza will look beautiful once the lockdown will be lifted. we are aware that between the moment the lockdown is over and the moment tourism returns there will be a certain period. it might be the first time in decades where some of the nicest beaches on the island might almost be empty for us locals while we are waiting for tourism slowly to return.

on what I've put in bold, well you can't have both I'm afraid (a break and no one losing their job). thousands of jobs will be lost this year. I just can't sweet talk this.

Where is best to check. I go mid July and most have gave up hope

I had to keep checking on the airlines website. the company I booked the flight through are still showing the flight as Scheduled. I think a lot of airlines/tour operators are still being optimistic with travel in June and July.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back