☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that's fair point, although now EU countries are going to have to run at some pace to get vulnerable vaccinated. Wonder if they'll elect to do the 1 dose wait 12 weeks until 2nd dose soon. Afaik Spain is following the original manufacturer timetable of 3 weeks?

10 weeks between dose 1 & 2 in spain for AZ AFAIK

After a bit of prompting, my GP has now put me in Group 6, so hopefully only a few weeks until my first jabby jabby

Had my 1st jab today - Group 6 clinic run by GP surgery (after a great deal of work over about 3 weeks getting on the list). I had to drive 3 1/2 hours each way to where I'm registered because the Mass Vaccination Centre in Devon is turning away people in Group 6 at the reception desk :rolleyes: :mad: ... but at this stage I'd have driven to Scotland and back just to get the countdown going !! Being vaccinated in Oxford with the Oxford vaccine did seem quite fitting !

I think people need to think back to pre-covid times, when there wasn't any real public scrutiny outside of fringe groups and you just turned up to your appointment and got the jab given to you.

The choice should be: you either want a vaccine or you don't

People treating this like clothing brands they can pick and choose doesn't sit right with me

It's another example of the mental times we're living in

Yeah, people here in Germany missing appointments on purpose because they’d rather have the Pfizer than AZ...
Shows how spoiled we all are, if during a pandemic you start picking and choosing.

that being said, perhaps England could just deliver their supplies of the Pfizer one to Germany and Germany return equal numbers of the AZ one to England... would solve both countries problems (and make no difference in the end because they both work, but ssshhhh...) 😂

Yeah, people here in Germany missing appointments on purpose because they’d rather have the Pfizer than AZ...
Shows how spoiled we all are, if during a pandemic you start picking and choosing.

that being said, perhaps England could just deliver their supplies of the Pfizer one to Germany and Germany return equal numbers of the AZ one to England... would solve both countries problems (and make no difference in the end because they both work, but ssshhhh...) 😂
The Pfizer jab costs about x10 as much as the AZ one, so perhaps not one for one swap 😁

I think people need to think back to pre-covid times, when there wasn't any real public scrutiny outside of fringe groups and you just turned up to your appointment and got the jab given to you.

The choice should be: you either want a vaccine or you don't

People treating this like clothing brands they can pick and choose doesn't sit right with me

It's another example of the mental times we're living in

The prime cost of the vaccine itself is a fraction of the associated delivery and administration costs which make up the vast majority of the "per dose" outlay per capita. There's also a perception in Western society that price is commensurate with worth. The fact you can put a streetwear logo on a 50p t-shirt and have kids reselling it for hundreds of pounds shows just what has happened to values. Anyone refusing a vaccine on account of brand should be put to the back of the queue and I think Germany are possibly doing that now.

When I think how hard I had to fight to get early access to a vaccine at all, and how without one the re-opening of society last year gave me extreme anxiety because it meant I was actually more worried about going out and bringing the virus home than during lockdown when numbers of people out and about were low and behaving well, it shocks me that people are refusing vaccines on account of brand. I had been dreading re-opening rather than looking forward to it, especially living in an area with an influx of domestic tourism, and that has all changed. I have some hope now I will not feel I need to stay locked away avoiding people all Summer again. Might even get to go for a run with someone else for the first time in a year. Still worried about travelling abroad - UK has a grip on variant analysis and we will know fast enough if problem mutations are found which seem to be vaccine resistant, but the same cannot be said for most other countries.

I already know I'm going to need a booster in Autumn because AZ isn't great against SA-style mutations, but if I can safely salvage early Summer then after losing so much of my life for so long this will be a gift. Plus once you've had a round of vaccinations at least there's some initial priming to build on and that has to be better than nothing at all for a virus that's clearly here to stay for the long haul.

As long as no unused vaccine doses get thrown away, it's not a big problem for the country as a whole.

The whole expectation is that everyone would obediently march in goose step to vaccination centers according to their designated priority was unrealistic anyway.

Just put those who refuse the vaccine to the very back of the queue and give the vaccine to next people in line. There is already talk about making the AZ vaccine available to everyone thanks to its low acceptance, which I am really looking forward to. Those people picky about their vaccine are then welcome to wait until the next year, while we will be traveling and partying this summer :cool:

As long as no unused vaccine doses get thrown away, it's not a big problem for the country as a whole.

The whole expectation is that everyone would obediently march in goose step to vaccination centers according to their designated priority was unrealistic anyway.

Just put those who refuse the vaccine to the very back of the queue and give the vaccine to next people in line. There is already talk about making the AZ vaccine available to everyone thanks to its low acceptance, which I am really looking forward to. Those people picky about their vaccine are then welcome to wait until the next year, while we will be traveling and partying this summer :cool:
If that actually happens, I‘m all for it. Bit sceptical though, with our ethics committee all worried about the correct order of vaccination and all... 😉

I agree it’s not a problem if no vaccines get thrown out but only as long as there isn’t too much logistical backlog. Right now though it seems we are losing valuable time through this which is a problem as long as people are dying.

We were super busy in the vaccine centre today. Nearly everyone of them in the "carers" category.
Some genuine of course but so many it was clear they just phoned up and said they were a carer.

On the plus side there was a few doses spare at end of the day so I got my 2nd dose early 💪🏽

Just out of interest how do you make a judgement that they were not genuine according to the Government's definition of a carer ? Unpaid carers who look after vulnerable / elderly people at home don't have to do it full time as a career !

We were super busy in the vaccine centre today. Nearly everyone of them in the "carers" category.
Some genuine of course but so many it was clear they just phoned up and said they were a carer.

On the plus side there was a few doses spare at end of the day so I got my 2nd dose early 💪🏽
What vaccines are you administering? Az or pzier, was anyone being picky about having a certain one or were they just happy to have it?

Just out of interest how do you make a judgement that they were not genuine according to the Government's definition of a carer ? Unpaid carers who look after vulnerable / elderly people at home don't have to do it full time as a career !
Well I don't like to judge a book by its cover but it was easy enough to spot.
And I personally knew a few of them today including a few mates who fully admitted to me in watsapp what they had done lol.

They have changed the rules here now so that unpaid or unregistered carers can't just book directly in, as it was well know that people were abusing it.

So PHE real life data is out on the effectiveness of both pfizer and Oxford Astrazeneca in reducing hospitalization in the elderly in UK. As expected, both vaccines work equally well after even a single dose. Hopefully this will help EU countries move on from the "lack of data" argument for holding back Astrazeneca from the elderly who desperately need access to an effective vaccine without further delays.

Been looking at the flights websites - sadly the once great Skyscanner now has jet2 sponsoring it meaning it's flights get prominence :-( - and noticed some good return deals for late Aug/September. But just couldn't find the nerve to click.

The costs will probably rocket once we get the all-clear; but if they become out-of-range I'll hold back and do the Costas in autumn instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back