☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah especially Coors isn’t that big in the U.K. I think Wetherspoons (cheap chain pub for alcoholics and students, or Alcoholic students) have it on tap but can’t think where else.

Would you take their word for it that the kids club will be open? Current climate things can change over night
Within reason, I had Jet 2 ring the hotel we were going to book, where my kids loved the kids club last Xmas and they said their kids club was shut at the moment but their sister hotel's up the road wasn't. Had them call there and confirmed open.

All subject to change obviously, and if they shut it we'll just have the kids in the pool all day.

Within reason, I had Jet 2 ring the hotel we were going to book, where my kids loved the kids club last Xmas and they said their kids club was shut at the moment but their sister hotel's up the road wasn't. Had them call there and confirmed open.

All subject to change obviously, and if they shut it we'll just have the kids in the pool all day.
Which hotel @Buckley if you dint mind me asking?

seen a few things shared about pub owners complaining about food being wasted with pictures of barely eaten plates doing the media rounds.. no one to blame but the government on that front. either keep the pubs shut and have to pay the workers furlough / cover costs of the establishment or let them open as a boozer with the table service only option as they were told to gear up for and have already spent money on

its just beyond ridiculous, what did they expect was going to happen?

Right, I've started. Booked four nights in October, using my ryanair voucher thing. I'll book the rest as and when we know restrictions are lifted.

Hoping to get to southern Spain in February - will book last minute - I'm really looking forward to queuing in the Aliens lane @ passport control.

Here is an interesting study of how efficient individual anti-covid measures are (actual results are on page 10). This is based on actual experience of countries implementing different measures.

Closing of schools/universities and limiting of gatherings seem the most important measures. On the other side, mandatory wearing of masks in public spaces seems to have no effect.

The part about masks baffles me. I am a believer in masks, I wore masks even before they were made mandatory. But the fact is, I never saw any numbers confirming that wearing masks indeed reduces the Covid-19 infection rate... There is an old study from the first SARS outbreak in 2003 which showed that wearing of masks did help back then, but I saw nothing like that for the current virus.

Here is an interesting study of how efficient individual anti-covid measures are (actual results are on page 10). This is based on actual experience of countries implementing different measures.

Closing of schools/universities and limiting of gatherings seem the most important measures. On the other side, mandatory wearing of masks in public spaces seems to have no effect.

The part about masks baffles me. I am a believer in masks, I wore masks even before they were made mandatory. But the fact is, I never saw any numbers confirming that wearing masks indeed reduces the Covid-19 infection rate... There is an old study from the first SARS outbreak in 2003 which showed that wearing of masks did help back then, but I saw nothing like that for the current virus.
I'm not convinced either that mask wearing makes any difference at all. At the start of the outbreak it was widely publicised that mask were ineffective, then all of a sudden they were effective. Then we had the second wave, by which point mask wearing had been mandatory for months, yet it appeared to make no discernible difference to the R number. Seems this report backs up that notion. I've no problem wearing one as it's a tiny price to pay if there is a some benefit, I just don't think there is much.

I'm not convinced either that mask wearing makes any difference at all. At the start of the outbreak it was widely publicised that mask were ineffective, then all of a sudden they were effective. Then we had the second wave, by which point mask wearing had been mandatory for months, yet it appeared to make no discernible difference to the R number. Seems this report backs up that notion. I've no problem wearing one as it's a tiny price to pay if there is a some benefit, I just don't think there is much.
Yeah I know what you mean. Studies have shown they reduce spread of droplets and also protect the wearer, and at the start of all this was a shown a benefit and divergence between those countries that did and didn't (Austria vs Czechia).

So they "can" be effective to some extent.
The problem is how well use them. Walking around my local supermarket I see people either not bothering or using them as chin warmers. And it's got massively worse over time, now it's very low compliance esp with properly wearing one.

It's a bit like wearing a condom on your balls and then data shows people still get pregnant or stis ??

I've not had chance to fully read that paper yet. Does it breakdown route of infection by setting? Just thinking that if it is just going by infection rate, its going to be hard to know how effective something is. Eg: wear masks in indoor public spaces but actually its spreading in private gatherings where they are not been worn? ?‍♂️

Would be interesting to have definitive info either way. My unscientific suspicion is it's a cultural thing where in far east used to wearing them properly compared to the chin warmers over here.

Anyhow I'm off to face the heathens at asda. Wish me luck ??

Quick straw poll - what we would you guys do if you were me? We've got to do CovID tests next Tuesday ahead of flying to Tenerife on Friday. Our 'Monthly Boys Night Out' group's Xmas do is at a local pub, in the beer harden this Saturday. I don't drink so will be in control, but would you go?

Quick straw poll - what we would you guys do if you were me? We've got to do CovID tests next Tuesday ahead of flying to Tenerife on Friday. Our 'Monthly Boys Night Out' group's Xmas do is at a local pub, in the beer harden this Saturday. I don't drink so will be in control, but would you go?
Is it indoor thing? If so is it well ventilated? (Just saw beer garden, but I guess you have to go inside at times for toilets or if it's bad weather?)

I'd be very mindful of fomite transmission through surfaces, and your drunk friends trying to kiss you as they say "you're my best mate" ?

It's about 3 days from the event to the test, so even if you did get infected it's a low probability it would be detected so soon.

Question is if you did get infected, are there any test/controls at your destination??

It's about 3 days from the event to the test, so even if you did get infected it's a low probability it would be detected so soon.

This probably makes it a bit worse, no symptoms when you travel, get sick out there, holiday screwed, plus have to stay there for 14 days longer as well, many many bucks needing to be spent. Doesn't feel like it's worth the risk for the sake of a couple of orange and lemonades personally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back