Coronavirus | Ibiza Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
here's another update before the weekend

epdiemiologic situation
  • this week we had a clear rise in cases on the balearics, as explained previously it really all started with the end of term trips in mallorca and also with a local holiday celebrated over on the island of menorca. the balearic archipelago has currently a 14d incidence of 128, ibiza is lower than that, 117. while it's true that we hadn't seen such a big number of new cases in a few months, it also looks like it's already stabilizing again and the latest recount gave 6 new cases here in ibiza (5 yesterday btw) while over on mallorca it were nearly 200 in the last 24hrs and nearly 100 in menorca (which is the worst looking island right now).
  • all of this needs to be seen in context though - the authorities don't seem overly alarmed because it's really almost exclusively young (unvaccinated) folk that get infected. the hospital & ICU numbers are totally fine and we've not had a covid related death on the entire archipelago in over two weeks now. I genuinely think just watching the incidence is a thing from the past now. for the moment no further restrictions are planned, but of course also no further relaxations of rules.
  • meanwhile the vaccination campaign is ticking along nicely. we're now at 59.7% of pop 1st shots and 41.5% complete job.
other than that ibiza really starts feeling busy now. as explained various times the two biggest tourist resorts are the ones that are still a little quiet, but if you read the 'impressions & observations' thread you can see even those spots are now getting busier every day.

more news next week.

here we go with another update

epidemiological situation
  • judging by the stats provided by the balearic government, the situation is stabilizing. we still get lots of new cases over on mallorca and menorca, but the exponential growth in cases has slowed down even there. here's the latest recount http://www.caib.es/pidip2front/jsp/adjunto?codi=2673350&idioma=ca where you see ibiza & formentera are looking far better than the other two balearic islands.
  • the numbers are even clearer if you check here https://www.caib.es/sites/covid-19/ca/visor_covid-19_illes_balears/ and go to page three where you see the incidence by municipality. here on ibiza and formentera the amount of new cases is really not crazy and we've got a total of 10 people hospitalized (3 in ICU).
  • the good news is the vaccination campaign is really ramping up. in the last 24h 18k dosis were applied. by mid july we will likely hit 70% of pop with 1 shot and 50% with the full job done.
  • elsewhere in spain (in catalonia for example) they're stepping on the brakes as numbers have gone through the roof. in catalonia nightlife is paused for the next two weeks. in all autonomías, it's almost exclusively the young & unvaccinated that get infected, it's a clear pattern.

Last edited:
today's update

• more of what I said yesterday, the big chunk of new infections currently happens on mallorca and menorca. the pitiuses are pretty stable again now, while mallorca and menorca are still growing. menorca especially has a bad situation with a high incidence and high test positivity figure and is doing mass testing now.
  • hospital figures and ICU occupation aren't going up a lot (actually hardly at all)
  • three weeks without any covid related deaths on the balearics. actually various autonomías in spain are now reporting various days without any covid related deaths.
  • vaccination stats: as of today, 60% of pop has had their first shot, 44% both. we're getting there and the speed has gone up lots now if you check this graph

F37708B6-AC2E-4C23-ACD8-590B0EB747BE.png

clubbing news

there's now also a government meeting happening where they discuss possible further measures, I shall update later if any rules change.

clubbing news

there's now also a government meeting happening where they discuss possible further measures, I shall update later if any rules change.

update

no actual change in restrictions with the exception that no alc can be bought in shops and gas stations after 10pm.
so the current restrictions which are:
  • no nightly curfew
  • bars/restaurants open until 2am
  • no dancing
will keep being valid until 26 july.

the balearic government and the nightlife industry will meet again in the next weeks and discuss opening of clubs from end of july onwards, one government speaker has already said that entry to clubs will only be possible for fully vaccinated people or with a negative test.

this is the first time a date is actually being published as a possible start date for nightlife.

26 july, *IF* infection numbers don't go crazy and vaccine uptake keeps being as good as it currently is.

more news as we get it.

pilot event went well - no contagion at all

here's another update

• from an incidence point of view, and I'll say it just the way it is, it's not looking good. over the course of the last 10 days it's crept up continuously and we're now at a 14d incidence of 405 per 100k inhabitants (!!!). if you check here https://www.caib.es/sites/covid-19/ca/visor_covid-19_illes_balears/ and go to the second page you'll clearly see it's the young people that drive up the incidence while the older are in a more normal/acceptable bracket. on that same page you can also see that the curve now seems to be flattening - let's hope this trend continues...
  • the good news within those bad news is that the hospitalisation and ICU levels are still very low. and soon it'll be a full month since the last person died because of covid on the entire balearic archipelago
  • the vaccination % is going up further and we're soon hitting 65% first shots and 50% complete job.
  • resuming, while we have a lot of new infections, the health care system clearly isn't overwhelmed (we've got over 700 'active' cases right now, only 11 of them are in hospital and 3 are in ICU)

news
  • mentioning this because people have asked over in the gossip thread. there isn't any news out yet in regards to clubs opening. the latest is still what we said a few days ago - that certainly until 26 july nothing's gonna open. I don't want to sound overly negative, but while I have been optimistic for a long time, with the current incidence levels we have right now, I'm really not sure what to think. the issue is mainly that if the venues can't open soon, it simply won't be worth the while anymore to open up at all this summer. but I'm hoping my current negative sentiment is wrong and that by end of july both the incidence has stabilized enough and the vaccination % is higher so that the government is brave enough to give the go ahead for venues to open. there also isn't any decision made yet by the government in regards to the request made by ocio de ibiza to only allow access for fully vaccinated people. but generally regarding opening up nightlife, seeing what other areas in spain are doing right now, re-implementing nightly curfews, I'm genuinely not so sure... :(
obviously we'll update immediately if we get any real news.

the balearics are going back on the amber list for UK travellers from monday morning 19july 4am onwards.

for unvaccinated or not completely vaccinated UK folks this obviously isn't great news...but tbh, it was to be expected following the latest increase in numbers.

update before the weekend

- ibiza's 14d incidence per 100k inhabitants is now at 546. 7d test positivity rate is at 15%.
- even if the vast majority of cases are asymptomatic or mild, with such a huge humber of new daily cases (98 in last 24hrs), sadly a few of those cases do end up in hospital. we now have 16 in hospital and 4 in ICU.
- vaccination continues and is now at 65% first shots and 51.5% complete job

with those numbers IMO it is very unlikely nightlife will get green lights anytime soon. it's actually more likely that the government decides to take a step back and re-introduces more restrictions next week.

we'll update whenever anything changes. sorry for not being able to share better news

with those numbers IMO it is very unlikely nightlife will get green lights anytime soon.

ok so here's the first part of today's update

epidemiological situation for ibiza
  • our 14d incidence still keeps going up and is now at 735 per 100k inhabitants. test positivity rate at 17%
  • as per today we now have 31 covid patients in hospital and 6 in ICU. one person has died over the weekend.
  • on the other balearic islands, where this wave had started, things are starting to improve now. this same wave has started with a delay here so we are looking at another week or two with high numbers, before then things hopefully get better again here as well.
  • vaccination is now touching 67% first jabs and 53% complete job

I will post another update later when the government has officially announced the updated rules, but it seems fairly sure the outdoor mask mandate will be back (keep in mind the beaches and while doing sports were always exempt) and some high density spots will get a late night curfew (in ibiza, the port area will be off-limits from 1am until 6am it seems). as I said, once we have all the rules, I'll do another post explaining what's changing.

last post for today, here's a summary of new rules valid on the balearics:

• first things first, the masks will finally NOT be mandatory outdoors - but the government is encouraging you to wear them, especially if you cannot maintain social distance. I think this is an important point to consider, this rule hasn't changed and you only have to wear them inside shops etc as was the case now.
  • the biggest change is the fact that between 1am and 6am social reunions outside your 'bubble' (i.e. people you live with if you are a local or travel with if you are a tourist) are prohibited both outdoors and indoors. what does this mean? well, the currently allowed small and seated events like cova santa, ibiza rocks, o beach etc can still happen, but soon after midnight it'll get quiet. tbh, 'officially' that was the case anyway from after 2am onwards, but now it's one hour earlier and the main goal the government has with this measure is trying to stop big private parties in villas as well as 'botellones' - young kids meeting wherever to drink and smoke together. let's face it, these two types of gatherings are the main reason the incidence has gone up so much here lately. the clubs are shut so they aren't to blame, the small events are done with some sort of safety so they aren't to blame neither. the issue is really big private gatherings, pure and simple. also, the fines for people getting caught doing such events are going up lots - fines will start at 1000€ per head and can go up to 5k per head. also from now on if you rent a villa the owner will have to forward the details of the people renting the villa to the government if they ask.
  • bars and restaurants have to close one hour earlier, at 1am instead of 2am. also there is a small change in table occupation, outside it comes down from 12 to max 8 people per table and indoors it goes down from 6 to 4.
all in all, I don't think there is one single reason not to travel to ibiza. you lose one hour of action at night (1am instead of 2am) and that's it.

big events are obviously on hold again right now (as in 'proper clubbing'), but if we can bring the incidence down a little and vaccine uptake keeps being as good, I think there's still some hope for the late season. personally I actually expected harder rules right now and seeing they haven't been put in place makes me think we still might see some action in late summer.

as usual, if anything changes, this is the place you wanna come and check.

as explained last week, the latest outbreak here and the fact it'll take weeks until it gets better, diminishes the chances for the venues to open this summer. never say never, it's ibiza after all, but just so people don't count on nightlife before mid august at the earliest now

here's another update

• I think / it seems we're just on the peak of this wave of infections here on the balearics. mallorca and menorca are actually already starting to improve a little and here on ibiza we are hopefully just on the peak now. various other autonomías in spain see a similar situation where things start to decrease.
  • in numbers, these are the current figures for ibiza. 14d incidence per 100k pop is at 1249 for ibiza and 7d test positivity rate is at 20%. especially seeing the high positivity rate of tests gives us a clear indication that it will take a while until the incidence will decrease substantially
  • hospital numbers: 47 covid cases in hospital and 5 in ICU. in february when we had the exact same amount of active covid cases on the island the hospital numbers were at 112 and 24 in ICU. so it does seem those much discussed vaccines do help eh...
  • vaccination is at 69% first shots and 56% complete job. plus, today they start taking appointments for kids from 12 years onwards too.

ibiza news
  • the 1am to 6am curfew we had mentioned starts tomorrow.

other than that ibiza is in total summer mode, beaches busy but not unbearable, restaurants very busy everywhere and we're in the middle of a heatwave so I'll hit the water to cool off soon.

it's been a while, but here's another update for you guys

epdiemiological situation
  • we are past the peak of this wave, but we still have a very high incidence and a high test positivity rate. it'll take time until we are back down at better numbers. right now, the 14d incidence per 100k pop is at 1813 for ibiza and the 7d test positivity is still at 20%. we had been at higher numbers the last week actually and the latest numbers are now finally going in the right direction.
  • always with some delay the hospital and ICU numbers worsen - we're now at 77 hospitalized people and 9 in ICU because of covid. can misses had to postpone lots of planned surgeries. still though, the hospital situation is never as bad as it was in the wave after christmas.
  • vaccination is now at 73.5% first shots and 63% complete job. keep in mind this is adult population, so in actual complete population numbers this translates to 62% respectively 53%. obviously with the fact so many people have caught covid right now and the vaccination continuing there is hope we will soon see a lot less infections.
ibiza news
  • even though the balearic government hasn't confirmed this yet, I don't think we'll see any changes in restrictions in the next weeks. the current ones are valid until 6 august and I personally expect them to remain the same for another two weeks at least, possibly for longer though. the main restriction is the 'no reunions between 1am and 6am' rule - keep in mind it's not an actual curfew, you are allowed to be out in the street with the ones you live or holiday together, but you mustn't be in company with other people in that time slot.
  • other than that, dancing is still a no-go and I can't see this changing until the epidemiological situation gets much better. I don't completely rule it out for the late season, but some venues who had planned to open (when things looked very hopeful) have sent their staff back into furlough after having taken them back on to prep things when things had been looking positive. so even if suddenly we get green lights to dance, expect to only get a very small amount of clubbing on offer. basically, we've sadly had to accept it'll be a second summer without real clubbing here. maybe maybe a little bit at the very end of the season, but as I said, if we get any, it won't be much. we'll see.
  • as you've probably noticed, ushuaïa has opened this past weekend with a seated, table-only format as cova santa has been running for a month now. from what I know it went really well and I expect them to continue with it throughout august and september, most probably from midweek onwards throughout the weekend.
  • resuming, even if there's no legal dancing anywhere, there are now still a good few places where you get entertainment and electronic music. cova santa, ushuaïa, destino (starting events soon), las dalias, bora bora, beachouse (not daily), ibiza rocks, o beach, nui ibiza (what used to be b12) and pikes. then there's lío, there's cuts&wines on saturdays and 528 starts this week. this list might be incomplete, but just so you see it's not 'dead'.
  • the island is VERY busy now from a general point of view. playa d'en bossa and san antonio aren't at their usual busy level since they are the main resorts where clubbers stay, but they're definitely not as dead as last summer. also the atmosphere is much closer to usual now, last year the vibe was strange all summer, this year it's way more relaxed.
  • lots of the well-known restaurants are fully booked weeks in advance. same goes for activities and boat rentals. since there is no clubbing, people make much more plans. so if you're coming to ibiza this year, it's worth for you to make a plan beforehand to avoid disappointment.
as usual, I'll update whenever anything important changes.

quick update before the weekend

• covid numbers are getting better, but it's a slow decline. both the incidence and the test positivity rate are decreasing but we're still at 1657 cases within 14days per 100k population and a test positivity rate of 18%. with tourism happening - and lots of happenings everywhere - it's impossible to get down with numbers quickly. but it is defiintely going in the right direction.
  • hospital and ICU numbers are stabilizing, we're at 85 hospitalized people and 9 in ICU. considering the massive number of active covid cases we have (over 3000), that's actually not such a bad hospital situation and even though surgeries had to be postponed, the health care system can currently sustain the situation
  • vaccination continues and is now at over 75% of adult pop with a first shot and almost 65% of adult pop with the full job. also from now onwards you can get your vaccine without getting an appointment beforehand

ibiza (& formentera) news

• formentera is currently stopping the access to illetas beach from after 6pm onwards. the reason is that the beach restaurants there have become the go-to place for a sunset party and this week there were hundreds of people reunited on a small batch of beach having a partaaay. so if you wanna go to formentera, head to illetas first thing in the morning before the masses arrive. then do migjorn at noon and see the sunset from cala saona area instead of ses illetes.

been a while, so here's another update for you guys

• the numbers keep getting better, but as mentioned previously, it's going slowly. as per today, the 14d incidence per 100k pop is at 1128 for ibiza. test positivity rate is now at 14.86%. if you compare that to the previous posts you can easily tell it's going in the right way, but it's also easy to see that we've still got a long way to go.
  • as usual, hospital and ICU numbers have a delay and we are hopefully just at the peak right now, we've got 74 people hospitalized and 14 in ICU and that ICU number is quite high for such a small island like us. still though, the health care system can stomach it.
  • vaccination is now at 77% of adult pop first shot and 67% of adult pop fully jabbed. this would translate to a little over 55% of the entire balearic population being fully vaccinated.

news

• the island is very busy and people seem to have accepted tables is the only (legal) 'clubbing' format for this summer here. as reported, people are more active, do more exploration, hit up all the restaurants and beach clubs. it's a far more 'normal' season compared to last year with a very nice vibe IMO.
  • people have asked if there was any relaxation of measures on the horizon. I haven't seen anything pointing that way and judging by the high incidence we still have and the ICU occupation, I don't think we'll see any major changes soon. if I had to guess (and I could obviously be totally wrong) I'd say the same set of rules which is in place now will be kept until the end of august at least. if things look better then, and once the government comes out of their 'holiday month' (as explained, in august not much happens usually), maybe we do get an update and some relaxation for september and/or october...?
  • a word of advice: anyone planning to come to the island, for this year, you really need to pre-book your stuff. most of the well-known restaurants are currently fully booked two to three weeks in advance, same goes for boat charters, activities etc. I know part of the beauty of an ibiza holiday is to usually just go with the flow, but this year is different. there is no real clubbing which means a lot less folk are hungover which then translates to a lot more people being active and wanting to do stuff. do yourself a favour, make a plan, and get booking those spots. I know a few people who have actually cancelled their trips when they realized they couldn't get any beds and tables at their favourite beach clubs and restaurants etc anymore!

as usual, more news as we get them.

here's a quick update

there was an extraordinary government council today and they agreed the currently valid restrictions should be kept in place not just for the next two weeks as expected, but rather directly until 15 september. the supreme court will have to pass this first, but for now it seems it'll be another month of no nightly reunions and no 'legal' dancing. to be honest, given our current numbers (they haven't changed a lot since friday), I'm not surprised.

they will still re-evaluate the situation in two weeks time and it's theoretically possible they change their tune if numbers get a lot better, but for now I wouldn't count on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back