Coronavirus | Ibiza Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
here's another update with some news and the current figures.

this is how the island looks currently, feedback from a few places I've been to:

• ibiza town is slowly coming alive with more places opening and busy terraces
  • playa d'en bossa and figueretas look like they usually do in may - the beach gets busy during the day and various beach clubs are open now (coco beach, nassau, beachouse, bora bora to name a few) while the street going through the resort is still quiet. a few bars and restaurants are open with more to follow gradually. the figueretas promenade was nicely busy yesterday evening.
  • portinatx (I'm laying in the sand of s'arenal gran as I type this report) has nicely busy beaches and a few things are open too. again it feels like at the very start of the season (which this year for obvious reasons is two months later than usual).
generally you can tell that bit by bit the island is getting busier and more and more tourists are around. ibiza is gorgeously clean right now and the sea temp is going up rapidly. it's the year to enjoy outdoor ibiza!

today (early evening) we were in san an. same as pdb, it's still quiet right now. it was sunday evening and that means lots of shops in the centre were closed. so we walked down the sunset strip - rita's cantina was busy as it always is. then on ses variades, right now it's still only mint lounge that's open (and busy). then towards caló d'es moro enigma was open and busy (with music) as was golden buddha.

as mentioned a few times previously, it'll take until the middle of this month until things get going a little more. I have a feeling that both café del mar and mambo might open around the 15th of the month (gut feeling, not confirmed).

this coming weekend hard rock hotel opens, lío opens and I heard rumors that a certain beach club in cala jondal might also open soon...

so...if anyone is coming to the island in the next few days, be aware that the two main tourist resorts are still quiet. most of the popular beaches do get busy during the day. and if you want some busy terraces (restaurants and bars) at night, currently it's mostly ibiza town (+figueretas) and santa eularia. pdb and san an will get busier as the month progresses.

tomorrow we should get an update on covid-19 figures - they've stopped giving them out on the weekend.

update regarding covid-19 figures:

on the entire balearic archipelago we've had 10 new cases over the weekend, but the number of active cases is similar (142). on ibiza and formentera we didn't have any new cases over the weekend and the number of active cases stays at 22 as was the case on friday.

let's see if we hear any news later today in regards to clubbing rules.

quick update:

• no newly detected infections on ibiza and formentera, we stay at 22 active covid-19 cases. balearic total is 137 active cases.
  • yesterday's government / nightlife industry meeting hasn't brought any changes. current rules persist: big clubs stay shut, 2am curfew for places that can open (300cap max), no dancing. next meeting is 22nd july I believe.
the island is getting a tiny bit busier every day now and summer has firmly installed itself here, scorchio every day!

here's an update before the weekend...

• as you will likely have read/heard already, a new rule has been passed which makes wearing a mask in public spaces (indoors as well as outdoors) compulsory. the rule goes into action this coming monday, but the government has said there will be an 'adaption period' of a few days. so from next week onwards, everyone has to wear a mask outdoors or in public spaces indoors, with the exception of: beaches, pool areas and if you are in a restaurant or bar, but just when you eat/drink. also when excercising you don't have to wear a mask neither. if you're being caught without wearing a mask you can get fined (100€). this means if you're coming for a beachside holiday you'll be fine since you won't have to wear your mask there, but once you start exploring the island you'll have to have your mask with you and wear it pretty often I'm afraid.
  • as from today, there's a much tighter control/law for private celebrations (such as villa parties) and fines for that can go up to 600K €
  • all of this while we have a very stable covid-19 situation on the entire balearic archipelago...currently we've got 134 active cases, 21 of them here on the island (only 7 of them are hospitalized, none of those in an ICU, the rest of patients are in home quarantine).

here's another update.

we are two weeks into this weird 2020 summer season now and you can clearly tell the difference compared to the start of the month. more people are around everywhere, more places open up and it does feel like ibiza summer now - minus the usual ibiza craziness though because no clubs are open and no dancing is allowed anywhere. ibiza 2020 is a bit like a shark without teeth but at least tourism as such is back which really is essential for our island.

today, destino resort opens and tomorrow san antonio's sunset strip finally gets properly going with both café mambo and café del mar opening for business. there's still more hotels opening in the second half of july and I expect the upwards trend of people on the island to continue in the next few weeks. I was over in formentera at the start of the week too and it was beautiful - there are people around, but it's never as full as it usually is at this time of the year. the sea is beautifully clear (both here and in formentera) and I wonder how much it's got to do with the fact there aren't any big cruise ships around...?

the current covid-19 numbers for ibiza and the balearics as a whole are really favourable. as of today we've only got 14 active cases on ibiza and formentera and 109 for the entire archipelago which is the lowest number since the outbreak of the pandemic. here on ibiza we haven't got anyone in ICU and the last person to die from coronavirus has been nearly three months ago now. so it's looking good here currently while sadly other parts of spain (aragón and catalonia mainly) are seeing bigger spikes again.

on the mask regulation, as you have seen at the start of the week, the local government has relaxed their initial strict rules a tiny bit and so, if you're on the beaches or around the pool, on any of the beachside promenades or anywhere out in rural ibiza, you don't need to wear a mask (for promenade as well as rural ibiza: as long as the 1.5m minimum distance between people can be kept). sports is excluded as well. with that it basically means you have to wear a mask when you're in villages and towns (in shops has been compulsory before that anyway). as more and more european countries are implementing a mask wearing rule now I guess it will simply be part of that new normality until a cure/vaccine is found.

just gonna put this out here since we spoke about it in the other coronavirus thread too - while other areas in spain are seeing surges, the balearics are SAFE right now. 13 active cases on ibiza as per today. 117 on the entire balearic archipelago. the number of newly infected people is small and has been stable over the past two months now. so far, tourism hasn't brought any surge in cases to the islands.

right here's another update to start the week with.

as from today, you can get fined here on the balearics for not wearing a mask out in public. the exceptions where you don't need to be wearing a mask are clearly mentioned a few posts further up. the fine can be anywhere between 25€ and 100€ if you get stopped not wearing a mask when you should do so.

this past weekend cala gracioneta got closed one day because it got too full. keep in mind it's one of the smallest coves on the island and it has a pretty well-known chiringuito too, so I'm personally not surprised it happened there. and just to point out, the vast majority of the beaches are LESS full than in a normal summer and social distancing is really easy on most of them.

the formentera cluster has risen to 8 infected people with more testing being done still. all infected people are either asymptomatic or only have mild symptoms and are of course being isolated.

the updated covid numbers as per today are 129 active cases on the entire balearic archipelago, of which 19 on ibiza and formentera (11 on ibiza, 8 on formentera, being the aforementioned cluster).

there should be some more news coming later today.

club news:

• captured festival postponed to 3rd and 4th september 2021
  • shine ibiza at eden postponed to 2021 season, thursdays 1st july to 23rd september next year

update: we've got a very stable covid-19 situation here on the balearics - 124 active cases on the entire archipelago, only 17 on our pitiuses islands. no big spikes anywhere, on average the archipelago gets about 5 new daily cases but it's usually the same amount of people that recover in those same 24hrs so the number of active cases has been very stable for the last few weeks now. another number to look at is that out of those 124 current cases, only 21 of them are in hospital treatment (and only 3 of them in ICU, over in mallorca, no covid ICU patients here on ibiza/formentera) while all other active cases are mild or directly asymptomatic and are thus staying at home until they test negative.

wearing masks has become compulsory in almost the entire country of spain now. the only two regions where it's not compulsory just yet is madrid and the canary islands - I personally think it's gonna come there too. I also have to say I've now really gotten used to wearing a mask, despite the midsummer heat. it's a bit of a necessary evil, but it helps.

we've now got bed options for ibiza rocks on sale - just check the calendar for details. mind, the prices include full credit for food and drinks!
https://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/events

a quick update before the weekend

covid-19 numbers for the balearics keep being stable - currently 122 active cases on the archipelago and 13 here in ibiza and formentera (no newly detected cases in the last four days now). sadly the same can't be said for spain as a whole as we're seeing cases going up rapidly in some of the areas (aragón and catalonia as was the case in the past few days already, but now madrid also starts seeing higher numbers again). as a result, in some of the autonomías they're going back a step or two, limiting social reunions to a smaller number of people, closing nightclubs again, limiting cap of bars etc. it's a very fragile situation all of this and social reunions of any kind seem to be the main reason for contagion.

due to those numbers going up (not just in spain, but also in france they are rising), there are more voices (from both politicians as well as health care experts) calling for PCR tests to be made to tourists, either in the country of origin or on arrival, to make sure the balearics stay as 'safe' as they are right now. there are similar voices that call for the same for anyone arriving in madrid as it's the main entry point into spain coming from south america, but it currently seems neither the balearic local government nor the spanish government is up for any of that. so for now everything stays the same, if anything changes you know you'll read it here first.

yesterday we were up north all day (video to follow on spotlight socials). some of the beaches were surprisingly busy (cala d'en serra for example - be aware the chiringuito isn't open so BYO!) while others had far more space than usual at this time of the year (es figueral, cala san vicente, s'arenal gran in portinatx to name a few). benirrás for the sunset was very busy (even though it was a thursday and not the main event on sundays) and the drummers were there. it was probably the biggest conglomeration of people I have been into since march, but some personal space could be kept - it was OK still IMO. generally I would recommend going to benirrás any other day rather than sunday.

overall the island is 'nicely busy' right now. as explained, the main two resorts that usually get lots of tourists looking for nightlife (playa d'en bossa and san antonio) are FAR from what they usually look like while other resorts do look a little more normal. lots of celebrities have arrived on the island (messi and suarez for example) and lots of DJs that are usually here to play gigs are here too, enjoying what's certainly gonna go down as the strangest ibiza summer ever.

morning everyone,

as you will have read, the UK has yesterday re-introduced a 14-day quarantine for anyone returning to the UK coming from spain. it's a blanket rule currently which is valid for the entire country of spain, so even if the balearics and canary islands are exempt of the no-travel recommendation, the quarantine rule still applies as from today.

here on the balearics everyone feels it's a very unfair approach on things since our current epidemic situation is actually better than the UK‘s. the balearic government last night announced they are working on creating a safe flight corridor with the UK and we are hopeful this will soon be a done thing. so for anyone doubting regarding your bookings, don't hit the cancel button just yet and give it a few days, I'm fairly sure the situation will change again.

numbers update after the weekend: 132 active cases on the entire balearic archipelago, of which 17 on ibiza and formentera (11 ibz, 6 formentera). four new cases over the weekend of which one was an italian guy who had a motor bike accident and as a standard procedure got tested at the hospital (he was asymptomatic).

no news yet on the UK - balearics flight corridor thing, only that conversations and negotiation is ongoing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back