Cocoon20 - Discussion thread

As somebody who saw him play most weeks in summer 2018 and also who complained about the lack of variety, it might've been 90% the same records from May to October but in fairness it was never the same set twice. Always different transitions. Still, some new tracks entering would've been good.

Frustrating for me, but few tourists would've known any different

I loved the 2018 records though! Some absolute classics in there for me.

Think as you have been playing as long as he, has the urge to find new records and play them starts to go and it gets to be just like a job, then it ends up banging out the same tunes every week. Valid point the tourist wouldn't have noticed

I say this on the back of what my friend said, but to be fair, I'd still have liked to have seen a Sven set, am sure when he's up for it, he's up for it

I look at this a little differently. When you have access to any track well ahead of anyone else, combined with consistently great dancefloors, of course you're going to experiment as much as you can and try anything once or twice. He does that, at least in my experience. At the same time, when a track goes off and you fall in love with it, you're going to play it again, until *you're* tired of it.

And so I think he plays songs until he gets tired of them. He clearly loves every track he plays, and knows each one inside and out - you can see when he mimes random instrument parts, vocal samples etc. The guy really listens to his records. It's different than someone who chooses what to play based on an audience's taste or expectations.

Compound this over time and you have an infinite and growing record box full of 10s...I prob wouldn't want to waste time on more than a couple 8s or 9s per set, either.

I'm as guilty as anyone for preferring the new/different/never-been-played-before records...and personally I do wish his sets had more variety. But hey, he gets up there and does whatever he wants, and that's why we love him. He's mellowed out now but for years he was pure id in a DJ booth. I've seen him play the same track twice in a row on a few occasions, and I wouldn't call it laziness...more like Sven being Sven.

Last edited:
Musically there are plenty other djs who I think are better selectors, better technically, and better producers.

But there's something about sven and cocoon that have easily produced some of my greatest clubbing memories over the past 15 years.

It's hard to explain. Not everyone has 'it' but whatever 'it' is sven certainly has it.

Musically there are plenty other djs who I think are better selectors, better technically, and better producers.

But there's something about sven and cocoon that have easily produced some of my greatest clubbing memories over the past 15 years.

It's hard to explain. Not everyone has 'it' but whatever 'it' is sven certainly has it.

Completely agree. Although I'd rate him among top selectors - especially for uniqueness and overall journey - for me it's the atmosphere and audience that is without rival. And credit where credit's due, it's not just Sven who has built that but his team around him.

It is interesting a guy posted earlier about he wished he'd play a tune or two that he was know for years ago, you can sorta understand the people who were when younger, that listened to him play the banging techno, for which he has turned his back on and i guess that why my friend feels like she does and feels like he has turned his back on her. My friend likes banging techno and anything less, she wouldnt be interested.

Sven maybe can play Amnesia/Pacha now dont reckon he could play any underground parties now, at one time that was his audience

Last edited:
I loved the 2018 records though! Some absolute classics in there for me.

Thanks for the upload. I’m not sure what the absolute classics are in this set are though. But I haven’t been a fan of his output in a very long time so shouldn’t be commenting at all. Each to their own.

But, you may say the same about this! Very different times mate.

Last edited:
It's ridiculous. Just before Corona, Sven brought out a fashion collection with a shirt for 400 euros, now a wallet for 200, playing plague raves in the meantime. Oh, and producing a track exclusively for Elon Musk. Everything I would have expected from someone like Marco Carola, not him. Sven really needs to get a grip, that's betraying everything cocoon has always stood for :/

Im a big fan of his but this is scandalous. Only right he gets called out for it since Circoloco have in another thread...

€200 euro for a poxy wallet with sv on it? Give overo_O😩
My brother commented Business Techno on the fb post. Sven blocked him.

It's ridiculous. Just before Corona, Sven brought out a fashion collection with a shirt for 400 euros, now a wallet for 200, playing plague raves in the meantime. Oh, and producing a track exclusively for Elon Musk. Everything I would have expected from someone like Marco Carola, not him. Sven really needs to get a grip, that's betraying everything cocoon has always stood for :/
Similar to Dixon and the Innervisions crew (plague raves, hoodies for 200€, "exclusive" premium fan package for 110€, track with Deichkind...). I'm (or was?) a huge fan boy, but don't know whether I'm going to support this in future.

The thing is though I don't truely think the mugs that are willing to pay £200 for a cocoon hoody are the same people you will meet on the amnesia dancefloor. So I don't worry too much about it.
I know there are people up on the balconys who are rich 'vips' but so far anyway I still feel the cocoon crowd has a good vibe.

Similar to Dixon and the Innervisions crew (plague raves, hoodies for 200€, "exclusive" premium fan package for 110€, track with Deichkind...). I'm (or was?) a huge fan boy, but don't know whether I'm going to support this in future.
could just be a total coincidence but it seemed to fall inline with when the top 100 RA list got abandoned to when Dixon just started taking a different route with his image / music ..he was top spot for many years now he seems to be less focused on what he was 'all about' that underground mentality, playing whatever he felt would divide the crowd from those who came to pose and those who really came for it. when seen him in Pacha all these VIP bots about couldn't help but think he would of never wanted this even a couple of years back

Back