Cocoon20 - Discussion thread

Does either of them mention their lack of investment in their brand/night? They aren't the only ones, but they had the draw card, of the Amnesia Terrace, and with the sunrise combined it was a special experience. The reality is that hanging a cocoon logo from the ceiling every week, just doesn't cut it anymore. When you look at how other nights have evolved over the past 5 years. Unfortunate comparison due to the ownership set up, but compare Circoloco/DC10 now to 5/6 years ago. The difference is huge. Solomun is another good example of how the night has developed and improved year on year. It isn't just luck that these nights are so successful. Cocoon got lazy, did nothing and are paying the price. If you give someone the option of a great line up and average production, or a great line up and great production, which are they going to choose?

If you give someone the option of a great line up and average production, or a great line up and great production, which are they going to choose?
Don't agree with your post. Cocoon has stuck to there roots and not sold out to the masses like Afterlife have done imo.

Not everyone needs huge mental production to have a good night. I'd take the Cocoon rings on the ceiling and quality longer sets any day. Sven is getting on so won't be doing it much longer so there is really no need to change the concept that has worked for the best part of 20 years now.

EDIT: Should also add imo if Cocoon did try and change there style and went with the whole big production thing I do not think this would have pulled an extra 1000 people in, if anything they would have risked loosing more of the loyal following they have always had

I agree that Cocoon doesn't do much in production, but that is actually also to a degree a conscious decision to put the focus on the music. Also the examples you mentioned don't have any production either. Can't remember a thing solomun or circoloco do deco- or production wise at their events.

I agree that Cocoon doesn't do much in production, but that is actually also to a degree a conscious decision to put the focus on the music. Also the examples you mentioned don't have any production either. Can't remember a thing solomun or circoloco do deco- or production wise at their events.

Appreciate it's a conscious decision, but when the name of the game is to get people through the door then you have to compete. The competition is completely different to 10 years ago.

DC10 doesn't have production per-se, but the venue has evolved massively over the past 5 years. From what was a time shed (more than 5 years ago) to where they are at now, clearly they have invested a lot in making the place/night better every year.

Don't agree with your post. Cocoon has stuck to there roots and not sold out to the masses like Afterlife have done imo.

Not everyone needs huge mental production to have a good night. I'd take the Cocoon rings on the ceiling and quality longer sets any day. Sven is getting on so won't be doing it much longer so there is really no need to change the concept that has worked for the best part of 20 years now.

EDIT: Should also add imo if Cocoon did try and change there style and went with the whole big production thing I do not think this would have pulled an extra 1000 people in, if anything they would have risked loosing more of the loyal following they have always had

Investing in your brand and selling out aren't the same thing.

Clearly changing nothing didn't work out so well.

Investing in your brand and selling out aren't the same thing.

Clearly changing nothing didn't work out so well.
So what do you propose? Cocoon scrapped there whole ethos and put a load of inflatables out because that clearly pulls a crowd?

So what do you propose? Cocoon scrapped there whole ethos and put a load of inflatables out because that clearly pulls a crowd?

It's their creative process, things come and go, some things adapat change and stay, thats just the way of the World. Unfortunately the night doesn't exist in a vacuum, and what worked for the first 15 years didn't work for the past 3. Last season was clearly a disaster (even mosaic got two seasons) but thats Pacha' s fault apparently for wanting to sell VIP tables. Funny because the VIP was just as empty as the dance floor. The night was dead on its feet for the last 2 years at Amnesia. They have had plenty of time to try to evolve, no matter how small, but they didn't. When they did, to their credit, it was too late.

Don't want to come across as a hater because I really enjoy the night, they created something amazing and were once pioneers. However there are some things people just don't seem prepared to discuss, no matter how obvious.

interesting thoughts here, don't have the time right now but shall add mine tomorrow or so.

In some respects, Cocoon were a victim of circumstance. Circoloco just got later and later. Loads of people who went with the full intention of hitting Cocoon after, just ended up getting caught in the moment. These two parties co-existed on Mondays for so many years. And in the space of two, habits changed.

In some respects, Cocoon were a victim of circumstance. Circoloco just got later and later. Loads of people who went with the full intention of hitting Cocoon after, just ended up getting caught in the moment. These two parties co-existed on Mondays for so many years. And in the space of two, habits changed.

sunrise on the terrace used to be a good reason to move on, losing that coincided with DC10 pushing later and later. Something had to give.

I just
It's their creative process, things come and go, some things adapat change and stay, thats just the way of the World. Unfortunately the night doesn't exist in a vacuum, and what worked for the first 15 years didn't work for the past 3. Last season was clearly a disaster (even mosaic got two seasons) but thats Pacha' s fault apparently for wanting to sell VIP tables. Funny because the VIP was just as empty as the dance floor. The night was dead on its feet for the last 2 years at Amnesia. They have had plenty of time to try to evolve, no matter how small, but they didn't. When they did, to their credit, it was too late.

Don't want to come across as a hater because I really enjoy the night, they created something amazing and were once pioneers. However there are some things people just don't seem prepared to discuss, no matter how obvious.
Think you’re being extremely harsh here. Each to there own but Cocoon was still easily my fav night last year because the music, crowd, and production is exactly what I like. Simply put if Cocoon changed there ways to fit in with the new tech house, production focused nights I would not be happy and I’m sure plenty of others would agree.

sunrise on the terrace used to be a good reason to move on, losing that coincided with DC10 pushing later and later. Something had to give.
Now this is a fair comment that makes complete sense. But nothing Cocoon could do about island laws and other clubs opening hours

Exactly @aregandj had the roles be reversed, I suspect we would be lamenting the downfall of Circo.. or maybe not. Maybe the fact DC10 only opens 2 nights a week, and Amnesia eventually had 2 - arguably 3 - big tech parties competing internally also played a part.

I agree with the points @john454 is making re production and I think I made them in the past too.

I don't think he means a crazy elrow style production, but cocoon did used to have a theme each year, like the jellyfish hanging in the amnesia terrace one year, or the jungle type theme, or space invaders theme to name a few.
Then they just stopped all that and just used the cocoon rings each year.
Personally I don't need crazy production, but it's not me or most prople on this forum that they need to sell tickets too (as most of us will be going regardless).

(yes many other factors too, svens age, circo loco, closing times etc)

Last edited:
Production wise, I'm more than fine with the Cocoon go go dancers, but the Amnesia ones were hotter than the Pacha ones lol.

Seriously tho, I just think Sven is losing his lustre along with the other Cocoon DJs. It's not really about the production which does help, but mostly about the lineups which haven't adapted to the newer DJs on the scene. Circo Loco always tries to remain relevant along with Afterlife. I do appreciate the long set times except for Sept 16th' club room which has like 4 DJs

This is it. Back then, DC10 was all about the evening sun streaming through the terrace windows and getting crazy before heading to Cocoon at 1 or 2am.

Ever since DC10 started opening later (and getting more aligned to the big clubs in terms of ticket and drink prices), it stopped making sense splitting the party into two parts and became either Circoloco, or Cocoon. I think this has, over time, had a negative impact on Cocoon.

Back