Cocoon 2016

Missed Cocoon afters. Just back from 2.45 hours of Steve Lawler at Sankeys. Finished on Oxia - Domino.

Ibiza done for 2016 :)

The cocoon afters in the park looked great.

Shame they can't use that location for afters on a regular in the summer.

Loved the afters, really great up for it crowd. My mate lost his mind and got thrown out for trying to take a drink without paying :rolleyes:
I was going to go early but as I was walking out I bumped into fallen angel and he convinced me to stay with him :lol:
Highlight for me before I left was when Sven dropped snooze for love and introduced his gorgeous little boy to the crowd and sat him on his shoulders so he could join the party :cool:
I left at 9 to see if my mate was ok and he was fast asleep so I could of stayed and seen out the filth Sven had started pounding out.

right, here are a few personal notes about cocoon closing and especially the afters which were a party for the history books...

cocoon closing itself was good, solid. not the best cocoon closing ever I thought, but definitely cool. I hadn't heard sven playing jaguar in the club for a while (at afters yes) so that was nice. also he dug out one of his 2015 heavy playlisted ones - dj koze's XTC towards the end (not sure if it was the last tune).

more feedback though about the afters. pretty early into sven's set he said 'today it's about africa'. the whole afters had an africa theme and there's an inside story about this which goes like this:

one of cocoon ibiza's staff really likes african style disco music. and after knowing each other for a lot of years, him and sven have a close and very open personal relationship. so last year some time, that guy (he's a friend of mine actually) gave sven a vinyl with some of that music. sven liked it and told him he was gonna play it at the afters of the closing. for one reason or another he didn't though. after that, as they've got a close relationship, the guy told sven that he was a bit disappointed that he hadn't played that tune in the end. it seems this criticism didn't go down well with sven - or let's just rather say it hit him. so, a bit of time passed and for this year's closing afters, instead of just playing that one vinyl, sven decided to make this a theme, he asked the guy for more vinyls and ended up breaking up the normal tech theme playing about 8 of that guy's vinyls during his 8 hour afterhour set. I personally thought this was fantastic, sven often took the mic, explained a bit (he didn't reveal any of the inside story though) and then changed back to his normal music.

because of all this, as you can probably imagine, this was a total standout after hours. it really really was something special, no matter whether you knew about the inside story or not - the weather was perfect, the decoration of the dj booth was amazing, sven's family was there, we all celebrated both tiga as well as sven's mum having a fantastic time in the booth, sven himself was in a brilliant mood and it really was just the icing on the cake on a great 17th cocoon season.

if you want to hear some of that african music, just type 'sofrito tropical discotheque' on youtube :)

I know I sound like a broken record, but I don't care - there are tons of techno parties around on the island, but when it comes to vibe and crowd on the dancefloor and afterhours, no one does it like cocoon.

Back