closing parties 2008...reviews! (continuous)

stivi

the first week of september is already gone. in a month's time, it will all be over again. a bit of a sad thought. but on the other hand, we all know what's waiting for us: THE CLOSING PARTIES!!!! :D :twisted: 8)

it's the time when rules will be broken again and special rules will be valid again at the very very end of the season. it's the time when you hear "the man with the red face" for the 453. time this summer and you still shake your butt with pleasure to it. it's the time when you work LESS and party MORE. it's the time when many spotlight seniors fly in again and enjoy another wild season closing...IT'S THE CLOSING PARTY PERIOD!!!

ok. now let's talk business. i missed the very first closing party this season, which was pukka up at es paradis, closing on monday, september 1...

BUT yesterday, on sat sep 6, i went to the closing party of the "zoo project" at galanight, benimussa (the zoo that never was one). i had been to the zoo many times last season and saw it growing. i went back on various occasions this year and saw it getting bigger and bigger still. in 2007, it was almost a workers-only event. this year, the percentage of holidaymakers was already much higher (maybe also because of the talks on this very forum??) and the vibe at these wild parties was always really good.

yesterday, all 3 areas were open and really busy. many people in fancy dresses as always and great music everywhere. andrew grant and jose de divina from dc10 played great sets, as well as bora bora resident heath holme. and i definitely shall not forget defex, head honcho of the zoo, who always plays quality sets. the sealpit was in full swing and the minx fx' fire & artistic show was as amazing as ever!
short: the zoo closed in style!

a big respect to ade/lubka, defex and everyone involved doing the zoo for another summer. they've proven you actually CAN do outdoor daytime parties without getting in trouble with the police! plus, all that fun at very reasonable entry AND drinks prices!!! a big GO! from my side to zoo project 2009! see you at galanight next year...

so...what closings are up next? cox on tuesday, sure. ah, and let's hope tomorrow's circoloco session at dc10 won't be the last one...but i'll be there with bells on anyway!!!

as always - feel free to add all your thoughts on your closing parties experiences from this year!

Last edited by a moderator:
carl cox & friends closing party, space, tuesday september 9

for years already, carl cox' night has been one of the biggest nights at space. and apparently, this year, the tuesday night fiesta at space, was the busiest party overall when it comes to numbers (matinée had a slow start and we love in general just wasn't as busy as in past years). also, carl cox' party was not affected of the new opening times and so, nothing really changed!

unfortunately, i didn't attend too many of his parties this year. so as the closing night approached, i knew this would be my last chance. we had done the nasty CircoLoCocoon-combo the day before (eq. 12h nonstop dancing), i only had slept 3hrs and then had had a full day of work. so you can imagine i was a BIT tired on tuesday evening.

but finally, after queuing for about half an hour, i got into space at around 3am. headed directly into the absolutely rammed discoteca to catch the very last bit of loco dice's set. according to friend's feedback, he had begun really deep and minimal, later it got more and more techy. after just a few minutes, carl cox was already on the microphone, sending his thanks to loco dice, welcoming sven väth in the dj box (seems to be fashion for supastadj's this year to turn up at any party and wave from the dj box and then leave again, but nice hat sven ;)). carl cox' set didn't start too banging, almost tech-housey and slower than you'd expect it from cox. played even some proggy tunes in the beginning. i am sure though, it got much more banging later on in the main room. our group left for the main terrace after about an hour. bushwacka! was playing there, and oh my, what a great and energetic tech-housey/techy set. think for example dubfire's remix of booka shade's "charlotte". great music! also the main terrace was VERY busy. in fact, i guess it was one of the busiest nights so far for space this year!

verdict: well done again, carl. always quality guests and a party with a BIG vibe! just bring back michel de hey next year please ;) ah well...as things look like at the moment, next monday there will be another circoloco at dc10 (the last one this time?) and guess who's playing there...yes, of course...michel de hey!

re: carl cox, you can walk straight in at about 1am and the discoteca was already full at that time.

dice played a typical set IMO, very dark with plenty of dc10 type rumblings and base. he was miles better than at cocoon the other week but i think so early on in the night, and considering coxy's style, the set lacked a little groove and soul.

an interesting thing to note is that altho this is the carl cox closing, the 2 following tuesdays are promoted by the same people, i.e. coxy's management (Safe House).

Carl Cox Closing

I was very looking forward to Cox Set at the Sunset Terrace, cause I`m into House and not Techno.
So we went before 10pm inside, because we had tickets for 15€ each.
Shortly after 11pm Cox starts his set, before that DJ Simi dropped some minimal and tech house tunes. Really enjoyed his set.
The sunset Terrace was full and the atmosphere amazing.
The Space dancers with the white faces appeared and the crowd went nuts.
Then a white blanket that covered the hole sunset terrace came up.
Cox gave his best with some very hot and banging tunes.
As he dropped some vocals of Armand van Heldens "You don`t know me" everybody was screaming and shouting. Genius moment:lol:
Shortly after 12pm it was over.
Honestly, the most intense 1 hour in a club I ever enjoyed!

Mn2s Closing and more...

Another clubbing tour in ibiza…

We started at dc10, but arrived there quite late, only at midnight. Noticed we had missed michel de hey (one of my fave dj’s) playing the inside bit (he had played 22:00-23:30 or something like that), so we went to the terrace for a bit of luciano…and he was a brilliant as ever! He was just dropping “sis - nesrib” when we got onto the terrace and it went on with great stuff like that. the terrace was very busy, but not as rammed as the Monday before. Let’s see what happens now with dc10…can they stay open until the end of the season? Do they get shut again?

After that (and some fast food), we drove to El Divino for the Mn2s Closing Party. I hadn’t been to El Divino for ages and was quite looking forward to go back there for a bit. And the line-up looked good as well: Derrick Carter, Joey Negro and Danism! Unfortunately, when we arrived around 2:30am, the club was just busy enough to call it busy. also, a part of the dance floor was cut off to make it a bit busier. The music was alright (i'd call it funky and soulful house), but nothing to write home about…so after a bit, we left again. Friends who stayed there all night reported it didn’t get much busier, but the vibe apparently got better later – that’s good! and one more thing: el divino dancers are FIT!!!

We instead drove to amnesia to find another really really busy cocoon fiesta happening! Sven in the main room (after minilogue’s live-act) and Ricardo villalobos on the terrace (after dandy jack’s live act)…music-wise I’ve seen many better cocoon nights this year and I’m already looking forward to the closing night in two weeks! by the way, erick morillo was there aswell last night...

but before, we'll be heading to many other closing parties...armada tonight for example! :twisted:

Another clubbing tour in ibiza…

We started at dc10, but arrived there quite late, only at midnight. Noticed we had missed michel de hey (one of my fave dj’s) playing the inside bit (he had played 22:00-23:30 or something like that), so we went to the terrace for a bit of luciano…and he was a brilliant as ever! He was just dropping “sis - nesrib” when we got onto the terrace and it went on with great stuff like that. the terrace was very busy, but not as rammed as the Monday before. Let’s see what happens now with dc10…can they stay open until the end of the season? Do they get shut again?

After that (and some fast food), we drove to El Divino for the Mn2s Closing Party. I hadn’t been to El Divino for ages and was quite looking forward to go back there for a bit. And the line-up looked good as well: Derrick Carter, Joey Negro and Danism! Unfortunately, when we arrived around 2:30am, the club was just busy enough to call it busy. also, a part of the dance floor was cut off to make it a bit busier. The music was alright (i'd call it funky and soulful house), but nothing to write home about…so after a bit, we left again. Friends who stayed there all night reported it didn’t get much busier, but the vibe apparently got better later – that’s good! and one more thing: el divino dancers are FIT!!!

We instead drove to amnesia to find another really really busy cocoon fiesta happening! Sven in the main room (after minilogue’s live-act) and Ricardo villalobos on the terrace (after dandy jack’s live act)…music-wise I’ve seen many better cocoon nights this year and I’m already looking forward to the closing night in two weeks! by the way, erick morillo was there aswell last night...

but before, we'll be heading to many other closing parties...armada tonight for example! :twisted:

i want your job!!! :cry:
;)

job? partying is not my job...but apart from working here, i do party a lot obviously! 8)

last night, my fave trance night on the island had it's closing party...

armada/contact closing party, amnesia tue sep 16

we got there short after 2am. the main room was nearly packed when we arrived, markus schulz was already on the decks and the crowd was absolutely great! i asked myself various times what's the differene between armada crowd and cream crowd. by now, i think, the armada crowd is basically a few years older...maybe a bit less wild, but definitely up for a lot of partying! markus schulz' set was very energetic as always and everyone loved it.

before armin van buuren began, we went over to the terrace, where first seb fontaine and then martijn ten velden was playing. the closing night of armada and contact (the terrace is called contact on tuesdays) is the busiest night i've seen it overall during the whole season. the main room always was very busy and now, for the closing night, also the terrace was really busy and with a great vibe!

back to the main room, where armin van buuren had taken over. something i had noticed all over the season was the great interaction AvB always has with the crowd. and so it was last night, he really had a fun time in the dj box, dropping ace trance tunes, cheering to the crowd, basically having an absolutely brilliant night. suddenly, markus schulz was back in the dj box and then Avb and markus played back to back.

short after 6am, armin stopped the music, took the mic and had a huge speach, thanking everyone from the club, the promotion, the dancers, the management, the dj's and of course, the crowd. he then announced they (him and markus schulz) would end the night in true balearic style...and for the last half hour they dropped the best ibiza trance classics...energy 52's café del mar (the original version), nalin & kane's beachball (original as well), then josh guru's infinity (new rmx) and the last tune they dropped was the new version of rui da silva's TOUCH ME... what a way to end a season! :D:D:D

not a review, more of a preview: whoever wants to party a lot and have some dance marathons should deffo come down to ibiza for openings and even more for the closings...

here's a few confirmed extended sessions:

thu, oct 2: monza closing - starting at 8pm and going till around 7am (with luciano, raresh & ricardo villalobos doing an 8hr set)
fri, oct 3: supermartxe/privilege closing - start 11pm or midnight and going till noontime next day!
sat, oct 4: amnesia closing - start 11pm and going till noontime next day!
sun, oct 5: space closing - start 12pm and going till about 7am next day!

plus...dc10 is still open at the moment, so you can do 4:30pm till 06:55am on mondays (till tuesday morning) if you're up for a nice CircoloCocoon-combo!!!!

we love marathons! :D:twisted:8)

I was at the CC closing, and just wanted to agree on Bushwackas set,

Was the set of my 2 week hoilday easily, the guy was on top form, seemed so into it with some wicked wicked tech house tunes

everyone catch him @ the end b4 it shuts!

That one will be awesome! Haven't been to Monza yet but hope to go next season!

Anyone recommend it?

the closing will be totally different from all the other parties, not merely cos of the line up but cos it'll be one of the main not to miss closing parties for the island's workers, residents, visitors, etc, etc

short after 6am, armin stopped the music, took the mic and had a huge speach, thanking everyone from the club, the promotion, the dancers, the management, the dj's and of course, the crowd. he then announced they (him and markus schulz) would end the night in true balearic style...and for the last half hour they dropped the best ibiza trance classics...energy 52's café del mar (the original version), nalin & kane's beachball (original as well), then josh guru's infinity (new rmx) and the last tune they dropped was the new version of rui da silva's TOUCH ME... what a way to end a season! :D:D:D

Man, that sounds like an absolutely amazing night. I would have loved to have made it to some of the closing parties. I just really like the thought of being there as the season comes to an end. I think it would be quite bittersweet, but in a good way!

Having just had my first holiday in Ibiza, I was surprised at how few classic 'Ibiza/Balearic' tracks I heard played at the bars and clubs. I thought they would have been belting them out.

Anyway, here's a wee list (in reverse order) of tracks I'd like to have heard in Ibiza, but didn't:

5: Chicane - Offshore
4: Paul Van Dyk - For An Angel
3: Energy 52 - Cafe Del Mar
2: Josh Wink - Higher State of Consciousness
1: Faithless - Insomnia

Nothing like picking the obvious ones, eh :oops:

the closing will be totally different from all the other parties, not merely cos of the line up but cos it'll be one of the main not to miss closing parties for the island's workers, residents, visitors, etc, etc

So is it worth a look on regular nights in terms of DJs, crowd numbers, music?

job? partying is not my job...but apart from working here, i do party a lot obviously! 8)

last night, my fave trance night on the island had it's closing party...

armada/contact closing party, amnesia tue sep 16

we got there short after 2am. the main room was nearly packed when we arrived, markus schulz was already on the decks and the crowd was absolutely great! i asked myself various times what's the differene between armada crowd and cream crowd. by now, i think, the armada crowd is basically a few years older...maybe a bit less wild, but definitely up for a lot of partying! markus schulz' set was very energetic as always and everyone loved it.

before armin van buuren began, we went over to the terrace, where first seb fontaine and then martijn ten velden was playing. the closing night of armada and contact (the terrace is called contact on tuesdays) is the busiest night i've seen it overall during the whole season. the main room always was very busy and now, for the closing night, also the terrace was really busy and with a great vibe!

back to the main room, where armin van buuren had taken over. something i had noticed all over the season was the great interaction AvB always has with the crowd. and so it was last night, he really had a fun time in the dj box, dropping ace trance tunes, cheering to the crowd, basically having an absolutely brilliant night. suddenly, markus schulz was back in the dj box and then Avb and markus played back to back.

Sounds unreal - when I was over there I didnt even hear about Armada that much, wasnt promoted as much as other nights, probaby didnt need it but its a shame because it sounds like I've missed a treat

I love AvB after Saturday @ Crasher, like you said his crowd interaction is brilliant and thats what seperates him from the rest at the top of the pile, he was always looking round getting quieter sections of the dancefloor or main room and lifting it up, and always dancing about behind the decks - thats what you want to see in a DJ

That last half an hour sounds terrific, credit to the man, hope he's back for '09

would love to report about tiesto closing - but i've missed it! read on, here's some short reviews about the last few days / nights

sunday 21/09 - we love
got in only after midnight and catched joris voorn's live-set in the discoteca (which was really good IMO but not everyone of my group liked it). then hernan cattaneo was on and played a really good proper prog set. in between, we also were on the main terrace and i almost climaxed when paul woolford played the future sound of london's "papua new guniea" as first tune...aaah!

monday 22/09 - circoloco and cocoon
arrived at dc10 at around 7pm. ar:pi:ar (rhadoo - pedro - raresh) were playing until 9:30pm instead of only until 8pm, because tania vulcano was no-show again...i wonder what's going on with her? she was lined up last week as well as this week and didn't play either of these dates...anyway, after the rumanos, ricardo villalobos and luciano played the terrace till 2am (late closure because of 10yrs anniversary). climax this night was pretty exactly at midnight, when they dropped sis-trompetta. definitely dc10 tune of the summer...

basically, i would have wanted to go to tiesto closing after that. spontaneously, we decided to go to cocoon instead. which was...erm...VERY average last night IMO. ok, i knew it was the 2nd minus night (with richie, hearttrhob live, madga, barem live and troy pierce), but still, i really would have loved to get a bit more energetic music. IMO it was just flat...which was a pity really. but still, i've had many absolutely great nights at cocoon this summer and the closing next week will be another story again with having sven back in the main room plus the fabulous luciano & ricardo!

great to meet up with the spotlight gang - see you tonight at laurent garnier's fiesta in space!

Back