closing parties 2008...reviews! (continuous)

What great reviews, I'm buzzing just reading them in my living room in west London! Amnesia closing sounds absolutely incredible, wow and more wow. Thanks for the details and looking forward to the season write-up!

what a great series of reviews stivi - we and the island will sorely miss you!

Amnesia Closing Party, Saturday October 4th

In one sentence: this is how a proper closing party should be.

We arrived there at 2am, which is really early, because as you probably know, amnesia closing always peaks somewhere between 7am and 11am and many people only come in the morning hours, but I knew booka shade were on early and as I had missed them last year (because I had arrived around 6am then), I definitely wanted to see them this time around.

The main floor was really busy already, but I was far more interested in the terrace, which just got going. Davide squillace was playing, nice and chilled, but groovy all the way. Booka shade started at 2:45 and I loved their live performance! They packed in a lot of tracks in their one hour show, started with mandarine girl, they played put put, karma car, charlotte, night falls, darko and more! Their music was absolutely great, but as it was quite early (in amnesia closing relations), the vibe on the terrace wasn’t too euphoric yet. But that changed when they played their last two tunes: first in white rooms and then, aaah ibiza 2005 – body language!!! So I was really happy to catch them this year – they were absolutely worth it :D

Then it was Mar-T who took over on the terrace and he really delivered a good set, including both SIS tunes “trompetta” and “standing”. He played between 3:45am and 5:45am and during this time, we also went into the (packed) main room twice, where we catched Les Schmitz dropping radioslave’s grindhouse (dubfire terror planet remix), mark knight’s from the speaker and the new remix of energy 52 – café del mar.

Back to the terrace again. Dubfire was on the decks short before 6am, started very deep and a bit slow, but got much more energetic soon after! The terrace now got busier and busier, many people now arriving after matinée closing had shut. From about 6:30am onward, the terrace had an amazing vibe and dubfire played an absolutely great techy set, the terrace was rocking now :twisted:

Time for breakfast. Yes, I do actually speak about food. There is one bar on the terrace (far end of the terrace, bar to the right of the dj) where you can get sandwiches etc. I had two very nice coffee’s and a lovely chocolate croissant at around 7:30am. But back to the party and the music. Dubfire also played his remix of grindhouse, just as sven väth was arriving in the di booth. He had just flown in from Madrid, where he had been playing during the night and he was fooling around with everyone in the dj box now.

Sven took over at 8:30am, the terrace was perfectly busy by then (really busy but not cocoon-busy) and the vibe was nothing else than pure electricity. The next few hours were absolutely surreal, messy, mindblowing and a loooot of fun. Many friends around, brilliant music and the terrace in daylight – amnesia closing united all the good sides about clubbing in ibiza. Sven (who was in funny conditions and accompaigned by danny tenaglia in the dj booth) played a stormer of a set with a bit of everything really, from techno over minimal to housey and even trancey stuff. I remember solvent’s “radio gaga” (great!), stardust’s “music sounds better with you” (grego – I couldn’t believe my ears when he dropped it) and one of the most memorable tracks of the night (erm…day!) was shlomi aber’s and guy gerber’s “after love” – whoa! :D:D:D The party had a real afterhour feeling to it and I also remember that, at some point, around 15 blokes were dancing on the terrace with their trousers down and sporting their boxers :eek::lol::eek::lol: …stories only parties like this can tell. At exactly 1pm the best closing party of the year ended.

Back home for another shower, some more nutrition and then directly off to…

Space closing party, Sunday October 5th

I arrived there at 3pm already. that’s quite early and I knew it. But I also knew I wouldn’t be able to stay there all night, so I wanted to make the most of it. The car park was very quiet still, the sunset terrace was busy-ish, but I still preferred the carpark, because it was the last chance to dance in the sunshine in flipflops this year. The music wasn’t anything special during the afternoon IMO, deadmau5 was ok, but else…hmm. Anyway, to be honest, I wasn’t at space for the music in the first place this time. I was there to say goodbye to a hell of a lot of people. It was a bit of an emotional suicide, saying goodbye to all my friends who were just floating in now and getting in party mode, wasn’t the easiest thing :(:(:(. The good point about warefell at space closing though: I met almost everyone I wanted to say goodbye to! And I’m sure a lot of people made up well for me when it comes to partying that night ;) but hey, I won’t complain, I have been dancing a lot again this summer and only on this weekend, amnesia closing and space closing were another 15hrs bailando so I guess I should be ok with that.

Anyway, I had to leave space at 7pm already, went to grab my suitcases, drove to the airport, left ibiza at 9pm on Sunday night…
…and was working here in Switzerland 12 hrs later already, on a cool Monday morning.

Of course I’m tired now – but it was worth it. It was a great season final and I’m glad I went back for one last huge sesh. I really feel sorry though for a lot of my friends who are still down there and are surely absolutely gutted because dc10 apparently got shut again. We knew it would happen, but still, what difference would it have made to let them end their season…? :confused: (and what would happen to all the balloons and toys we had bought already?)

Read more about my ibiza 2008 in my season review, due some time in November I guess. Thanks already now to all the people I met again this season – you rock! Hasta luego amigos :D

Great reviews ---

Yes Amnesia was fabulous:):):)-- but then have never been disappointed at Amnesia, unlike closing of Monza-- not so brill.:cry:

Space closing-- was tad pissed off :xthat so much of the Terrazza was VIP area,!! lost loads of dance room!!!! But glad actually got to go this year.:). And see the flight area .

yeaaaah....sven was brilliant. i love him for being really authentic and he does party like an animal...think he was a perfect fit for playing last at the closing on the terrace,since nobody is more into the "thing" then he himself...i can hardly remember a better party then this one...i hope some space stuff was there to see how its done,your own closing was pure bull.... with all your vip on the covered terrace sh.... and your 39 floors...amnesia closing at the terrace=1 floor=1 family!!!

Great review Stivi! Amnesia closing was the one closing I was gutted about leaving as we left the day before! :cry:

Did you get any pictures of the night? Do you have any pictures online of your summer in Ibiza? Facebook?

I was out there last week and did WLS, Monza and Amnesia closing! (unfortunately I didnt go to cocoon this year as my body couldnt handle it after Space and DC10) Anyway from the 3 Amnesia was without doubt the best Sven was chewing his face off and getting well into it! I had to leave at 10am as my legs were killing me (plus i had to fly home that night). By about 3am i was loving Monza but the Police just killed the atmosphere, plus the lights came on far to early for a closing party IMO!

Great review Stivi! Amnesia closing was the one closing I was gutted about leaving as we left the day before! :cry:

Did you get any pictures of the night? Do you have any pictures online of your summer in Ibiza? Facebook?

well you really missed the best one simon!

pictures...erm...i almost never had a camera with me this summer. but many friends always had one with them. so i need to steal some of their pix and put them on my fb once i have some time on my hands for this!

. At exactly 1pm the best closing party of the year ended. .................

........................Read more about my ibiza 2008 in my season review, due some time in November I guess. Thanks already now to all the people I met again this season – you rock! Hasta luego amigos :D

It's difficult to decide when to come for the closings now, as they are so spread apart over about 5 weeks. It would be great if it changed back to when it was like over a 2 week period. :spank:

I've never mada an Amnesia closing, i'm gona try my best for next year, it sounds AMAZING !! 8)

Good luck with everything in Suiza Stivi, and i hope to see you on the island in the future 8)

Space Closing Fiesta Review:

Me and a mate arrived at Space around 5pm, got in so quickly we thought this year the closing would have been emptier than the usual (in fact it probably was). We went straight to the Parking, picked up a Vodka and Red Bull and we danced our butts off to Deadmau5 (DJ/live set). I have to say I thought it was a good set, he played pretty much only his material but when Not Exactly, Arguru and I Remember came on the place went mental. Also, I really enjoyed the Star Wars show from the GOA performance group (and Deadmau5 fighting with Darth Vader was something worth putting on to YOUTUBE).

Elio Riso followed Deadmau5, his set had its moments but at times it felt a bit too flat. Then at the end he played a truly aweful mix of Gianluca Motta's Not Alone, which it got some undeserved praises (mainly coz that record was on Space Ibiza 2008 mix).

Then, finally at 8pm the KING OF SPACE came on. I must say I love Lawler almost all the time and he did not dissapoint me. Compared to the Opening set he played a couple of more well known track (SIS - La Trompeta / Chiapet - Westworld) but even the underground techno stuff were kicking too and the atmosphere was electric. Lawler is IMO: THE SPACE DJ par excellence, they should have let him play longer.

At 10pm David "cheese" Guetta came on, after hearing his truly horrendous french accent on the mic and the first record (The Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy, Hey Girl :rolleyes:) I ran away... straight to the Inside Area where we found Smokin' Jo beating the **** out of... an empty room (DOH!). Next we checked Nic Fanciulli set which started flat but came at the end smelling of roses. By that time I had danced for 8 hours straight and the room was getting stupidly busy (the Car Park had shut an hour earlier) so we left. Missing Sasha and Digweed :cry:

4 closing parties

Sorry to be a bit more negative than most here, but my honest thoughts:
Monza, Privilege: side room was packed and bouncing. Mix of mostly Italians and British, but a bit boring generally in the main room. It seemed like they'd not really made much effort, even the lights in the swimming pool were off. I haven't been back to Privilege since Manumission was there and it seemed a bit flat in comparison.
Space, We Love: Too many men, too many moody security morons, didn't see any dancers, what happened to the fancy dress and colorful crowd of old? No one allowed to dance on the 'dance' podiums, wtf?! I liked Hernan's set but again the crowd was a bit boring and male orientated.
El Divino: Louie Vega is the man! Really different music for Ibiza, nice intimate party atmosphere and, at last, a few more girls around. Barbara Tucker was fantastic also, really belted out the tunes.
Carnevale: Love Pacha, great atmosphere in the main room, liked the show, crappy, commercial house in the main room but a pretty good mixed crowd.

Ups and downs as always for me, but I'll be back...

cue-838286.jpg

The Beautiful Terrace of amnesia on this magical morning...

The Amnesia closing party was absolutely amazing, Eranski and myself arrived there with our friends at around 6 just when Dubfire was starting to play, he played slow at first like Nostrum said but got better towards 7-ish, I believe Sven started his set earlier than 8:30, more like around 7:45 but I can't be sure...

The place just had a majestic feeling to it, the people reminded me of DC10, the whole place acted like one big zoo, pure electricity as mentioned earlier, I could single out people by their appearance in a sea of thousands, it's a great feeling to see so much different personalities in such a huge floor!

Sven took over and all of a sudden, the dark Terrace became a place full of light and color, people in disguises, amazing decoration, and mind blowing atmosphere... it was just beautiful.

Wearing his Wizard hat, Sven definitely did some unbelievable magic to the place, as the hour got later the music got deeper and deeper, almost no big buildups, just the sheer immense soundsystem delivering the sounds of Minimal and Techno tunes, Sven killed us with

Kollektiv Turmstrasse - Holunderbaum (Herz Aus Solz Remix)
Radio Slave - Incognito
Dubfire & Huntemann - DIOS

Then he dropped Jamie Jones - 911 and the place just went ballistic, the huge megatron fired up and filled the Terrace with ice cold air, I don't know where my head was at that exact moment, but it was somewhere good, the Amnesia closing party is surely the most surprising closing party of 2008...

Some more pictures:

n784732479_830524_8068.jpg

I'm in the middle with the Pink shirt, Eranski is on the far left and addicted2groove is next to him with the sunglasses.

The lovely Terrace:

n568353149_848513_7850.jpg

n568353149_848515_8445.jpg

n568353149_848528_2542.jpg

n568353149_848576_2006.jpg

At around 10:30 AM my back and legs gave me the signals that I have to go get some sleep and I left (Which I regret so much...), I wasn't there to see the place when Sven dropped Dark Flower (You can ask Eranski about that :)), but the 4.5 hours I spent at Amnesia will definitely be remembered many years from now...

Definitely one of the most unique parties of my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Space Closing Fiesta Review:

Then, finally at 8pm the KING OF SPACE came on. I must say I love Lawler almost all the time and he did not dissapoint me. Compared to the Opening set he played a couple of more well known track (SIS - La Trompeta / Chiapet - Westworld) but even the underground techno stuff were kicking too and the atmosphere was electric. Lawler is IMO: THE SPACE DJ par excellence, they should have let him play longer.

It was my first Space Closing Party and I just cant stress enough how much I agree with you on this.

We got in quickly to the club at around 7:40, there was no queue at all, straight to the guest list to get our free passes, thanks to Shlomi Aber, who also made sure Israel is represented proudly in this monumental event :)

First of all seeing the Flight Arena was a sight to remember, the DJ booth was stunning, I've never seen such a booth, the Visuals infront and behind the DJ were gorgeous and blended so well with Steve's set.

Lawler was incredible, he fired up the place with quality Tech House and Techno tunes, not afraid to play the more underground stuff as opposed to the DJs before him, his set was spiced up with everything needed for a good party, fat driving basslines, groovey percussions and the long buildups he is known for, 4000 raving clubbers can't be wrong! I felt like I'm in the middle of Global Gathering or something, it was immense.

When he played Chiapet - Westworld [Skylark Remix] I was in complete awe, I think it's one of the tunes that are most suitable to be heard @ Space, especially in such an event and when the king is playing!

The place went crazy, not every DJ can drop such a tune, it takes experience and timing to know how and when to slam such a classic, Lawler did it perfectly.

After that Lawler got nasty and destroyed the place with Radioslave - Grindhouse [Dubfire Terror Planet Remix], the crowd responded as expected :)

It's not by chance that they call Steve Lawler the King of Space, he is defnitely one of the few DJs who knows how to master the dancefloor like no other @ Space, Steve should have played at least 3 hours in the Flight Arena, his set was the best I've heard in 2008!

At 10pm David "cheese" Guetta came on, after hearing his truly horrendous french accent on the mic and the first record (The Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy, Hey Girl :rolleyes:) I ran away...

Oh god, you got my consent there again, Guetta completely RUINED the excellent vibe that Steve created so elegantly, the place was soooo ready for a serious climax and then Guetta started to play his Cheese Fest, I seriously thought I was hallucinating when he played Zombie Nation - Kernkraft 400, yes, that was the tune he played after Hey Boy Hey Girl, my eyes and ears could not believe it... it's a good thing you ran...

We carried on to the Sunset Terrace to hear Tom Novy which was excellent, dropping all the years anthems and a great vibe, hands in the air, whistling and shouting, you name it, it was there... topping it off he ended his set with U2 - With Our Without You, I never dreamed I would hear this beautiful song in a club and it was such a memorable moment, a wonderful ending, Novy knows how to be dramatic :)

We then moved to the Terrace to hear Pete Tong who played surprisingly well, the vibe was pretty good at the terrace, Groove Armada followed him and also delivered some great moments, it was House music all around the place, and Wally Lopez made sure it stayed that way!

By that time I had danced for 8 hours straight and the room was getting stupidly busy (the Car Park had shut an hour earlier) so we left. Missing Sasha and Digweed :cry:

Sasha and Digweed was the duo I expected the most, I have seen them both separately many a times but never together and never in such a big event.

Sadly, they lacked the magic they usually have when playing together (So I've heard...), they played fast, uncompromising music, mostly just hard beats and electric sounds, nothing that really got the place together, not the enchanting set building I'm used to hear from Digweed.

He did not get much reaction from the crowd and he left the booth for Sasha to play more, Sasha looked very tired, it actually looked like he is doing a favour by playing... I guess technology isn't everything when it comes to DJing, you need some passion.

I'm a big fan of Digweed but I was very dissapointed with both, so don't feel bad, it wasn't the peak of the party.

We then tried our luck at the Terrace, where Danny Tenaglia also didn't live up to my expectations, I don't know, both floors looked pretty flat, and the people looked more concentrated in themselves (And other things... :wink: ) than the music and the vibe...

Overall I will remember the Space closing party thanks to the wonderful Steve Lawler who delivered a great eclectic unique set and Tom Novy's ability to create a great atmosphere in the Sunset Terrace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back