Christmas lunch

How long does everyone par boil the roast potatoes for?

Kind of doing this year on a wait and see basis as I am at my ex's house in Costa Rica.....But kind of preparing to do it if nobody else steps up....Trouble is I know about 10 people will turn up at the last minute wanting to be fed. Also her two year old just decided to wrench the oven door off.

Made a few hints here....sooooo, what's the plan for Christmas Lunch and it's the '' Oh we will just have some nice things...''

At least one certain person isn't around this year who used to drive me nuts by turning up for dinners which I would spend all day making... show up about 15 mins before it was served with her husband and kid..then put the kid in the bedroom to sleep and go over and turn the music down....and ask people to talk quietly. Then come over to the cooker and start prodding things and critisising, saying it should be done a different way. One time they even showed up with a half drunk bottle of wine with the cork put back in.
It was my ex's best friend so couldn't say a word....well apart from holding the wine up and saying ''How nice,,,,, They bought some wine''

Well, if I was in Costa Rica I'd definitely make it a Creole Christmas. Knock up some great big trays of spicy local veg and do everything else on an outdoor grill for one big Xmas BBQ. Sorted !

turkey is garlic buttered , stuffed and in the oven at full whack for half an hour/40 mins before turning the heat down. hopefully in 4 hours time we'll have something edible...

i couldnt get underneath the skin to butter it tho and didnt want to cut it???

My dad's traditional smoked Christmas turkey has turned into my Christmas turkey as he & mom have run off to church until lunchtime. :confused:

Not quite the same as making the turkey I do for Thanksgiving as there's no way to regulate the temperature other than indicators on the grill's lid that say "hot", "ideal" and "cool". :lol:

Looks and smells great... looks quite done too despite only being in there 2.5 hours. At least another 1:45 to go.

With the stuffing I'm making later, I think I can rightfully say I've handled the backbone of the family meal :lol:

i couldnt get underneath the skin to butter it tho and didnt want to cut it???

You've got to get your fingers in between the skin & the flesh starting from behind, and then use your whole hand to force the skin to separate & take the butter in between. Gotta be quite rough with a big bird like a turkey - not for wimps :lol: !!

Morbs, I think that's called getting stitched like a proper turkey !

My dad's traditional smoked Christmas turkey has turned into my Christmas turkey as he & mom have run off to church until lunchtime. :confused:

Not quite the same as making the turkey I do for Thanksgiving as there's no way to regulate the temperature other than indicators on the grill's lid that say "hot", "ideal" and "cool". :lol:

Looks and smells great... looks quite done too despite only being in there 2.5 hours. At least another 1:45 to go.

With the stuffing I'm making later, I think I can rightfully say I've handled the backbone of the family meal :lol:

enjoy no snow this year on the east coast

yeah i got right in there but there came a point where the skin became one with the breast and to separate you wuld have had to cut it???

Basking in glory.....as predicted 12 people showed....Somehow managed to get it all spot on.....
Even with the tequila based hangover and vague memories of a guy pulling a gun out whilst I was having a late night street snack and shooting a couple of shots off whilst trying to break up a punch up...

Last edited by a moderator:
Even with the tequila based hangover and vaguge memories of a guy pulling a gun out whilst I was having a late night street snack and shooting a couple of shots off whilst trying to break up a punch up...

On the whole, it's much more civilized in Panama next door :lol:

yeah i got right in there but there came a point where the skin became one with the breast and to separate you wuld have had to cut it???

You probably got up far enough to shove the butter in then .. no need to cut the rest of the skin. When the bird cooks the head end skin will loosen and the melted butter should run all through.

Back