Christmas lunch

the more i read the more questions i have!
How long do ppl rest their turkey for? Presumeably def as long as it takes to make the gravy.Jamie Oliver was saying an hour!

I would rest it at least an hour mate. If need be put some foil over it and it will keep warm for ages.

My Mum always cooks the Turkey first thing then lets it rest for hours while the trimmings get cooked.

How long do ppl rest their turkey for? Presumeably def as long as it takes to make the gravy.Jamie Oliver was saying an hour!

A Turkey is a big bird and like all fat chicks they make lots of their own juices.:)

Therefore you can drain at least 500mls, 30mins before you take it out of the oven. This will allow you to have the Gravy ready ahead of time. Just add the veg stock to make up the rest.

30 mins is plenty of time in my book to allow any joint of meat to relax but the longer the better use tinfoil.

for 700ml of gravey which will do 6 people just add 10 level teaspons of bisto made into a paste with a little cold water.

Nobody uses Bisto then :oops: :lol:

Do I need a proper gravy separator? Or will putting it in any jug do?

I make gravy from the dripping with flour only

Rest the turkey about an hour

I'm tempted to sack the turkey idea off and just buy this instead....

http://ihatemymessageboard.com/2009/04/23/a-whole-chicken-in-a-can/

:eek: Wow the should rename that to something else, I was feeling queasy looking at the pictures.

I believe he is referring to a Roux

you just melt butter in a pan then spoon in flour and whisk it together for a few minutes. You then add it to the gravy juices.

bit more to it than that, depends on where you are going with the sauce, the roux is the base for al, your sauces. dependent on what you wish to achieve

eg

Bechamel - white sauce add milk to roux

Veloute - medium sauce - add white/chicken stock to a roux

Espagnol - Dark sauce - add dark brown stock to a roux

then of course you have jus.......which is bascially a reduction of the meat juices with stock!!

and when we say veg stock are we refering to being made from veg stock cubes or bought?

The water from what u boil ur veg in will be perfect or use a stock cube if u must it's all about experimenting and personal taste though

I don't think I use foil?! I'm sure I just put butter on it and keep basting. Herby, garlicky, crispy skin is the best bit. :twisted:

If you want to be real fancy, you can make a herby/garlicky butter and actually work it between the turkey skin and meat.

He says this for two reasons

1: its still cooking when you take it out andf will carry on for up to an hour depending on it's size
2: as it cools it the meat relaxes slightly and becomes more tender

Any tips for roasting the veg? Just bung them in the oven??

parsnips do as potatoes, maybe 10 mins less in the oven?

the other stuff do in a roasting bag add some oil and herbs and give it a shake.

I'm all over these at the moment, its my favourite way of cooking :D

Incidentally re spuds, for best results, once they have been par-boiled, dry them out for half an hour before you roast them, it makes them even crispier. and despite all the hype with goose and duck fat, the best thing is just to coat a shallow tray with organic veg or sunflower oil.

That said, I have no idea what we are having on xmas day, I'm not cooking it!! :lol:

Ok... Roasting bag ... *adds to list*

Where can I buy that from? Supermarkets?

So I cook the parsnips in goose fat too?

Ok... Roasting bag ... *adds to list*

Where can I buy that from? Supermarkets?

So I cook the parsnips in goose fat too?

I use extra virgin olive oil.

Reading this thread it says one thing, we are getting old. It use to be I was only concerned where I would go to dance and get muntered.:)

I think 2 Xmases in a row I cooked Xmas dinner after being up all night on mephedrone. :eek: :rolleyes: Not this year, though; I'm a changed man.

Xmas dinner is all in the planning, and you can actually make some things (cranberry sauce, stuffing, etc) in advance.

Oh, cranberry sauce - have a go at making your own rather than having the jarred variety. Totally different!

I have to say, overall, I enjoy making Xmas dinner (and would do it just for myself if it came down to it :lol:), though glad it is a once a year thing.

Going for a totally different option, order a curry from the local takeaway Christmas eve, Christmas day microwave it and eat... boom!

I roast veg in extra virgin olive oil with plenty of seasoning,Garlic and Rosemary. Some honey and a little splash of balsamic vinegar

Back