Champions League Draw

I think 1-1 would have been better. Gives you a cushion, albeit small, against the away goals rule.

As it stands, Chelsea have to win at home. Barca goes through with a score draw.

in cold, sober light of day, not quite as pessimistic as I was last night

if CFC attack, it will open up the game - and then there is surely only one winner

not inconceivable therefore that the game will carry on where it left off

penalties would work in CFC's favour at home for obvious reasons... Hiddink will be aware of that..

much will also depend on the Madrid game - if that is physically and emotionally draining -then it is advantage chelsea

if CFC attack, it will open up the game - and then there is surely only one winner

not inconceivable therefore that the game will carry on where it left off

penalties would work in CFC's favour at home for obvious reasons... Hiddink will be aware of that..

much will also depend on the Madrid game - if that is physically and emotionally draining -then it is advantage chelsea

Yep. Spot on. Madrid could be 1 point behind if they win. At least playing on the Saturday night rather than Sunday.

Good man 8)

Regarding Alves I completely agree. I HATE it when he goes down so theatrically.. he does it about 5 times a match and it makes me (and most other Barca fans) cringe.:evil:

The Spanish FA have to be shot regarding our schedule. It'll be Sevilla, Valencia, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Villareal and Spanish Cup final with only 3 days rest between those games.

Messi has lost his spark, and i blame that on tiredness.

Part of me wishes we rest players on saturday. I know its Real, but thats a game we can afford to lose and it'll still be in our hands to take the title, on wednesday we CANT afford any slip ups.

Grego, regarding your previous comment about Iniesta, you know what i'm going to say ;)
I really do think he's more consistent than you say. Last night for example I thought he was our best player (alongside Toure)

Good man 8)

Regarding Alves I completely agree. I HATE it when he goes down so theatrically.. he does it about 5 times a match and it makes me (and most other Barca fans) cringe.:evil:

Yeah...My MRS was doing the hoovering when she hit off the TV while I was watching the game last nite....

Both Alves and Drogba Fell over!

Grego, regarding your previous comment about Iniesta, you know what i'm going to say ;)
I really do think he's more consistent than you say. Last night for example I thought he was our best player (alongside Toure)

i'm not disagreeing really. i thought he was the driving force last night too. brimming with confidence.

whatever tho, when you get 9 outfield men behind the ball like chelsea did last night, it's so hard to breakdown,whoever you are.

Very true... witness how Liverpool used to play at Stamford Bridge ;)

Under Maureen it was a regular occurance, and I agree it was the same with us. But you cant say the same about us this season, especially against the likes off you, Real, and Manure !!

But last nights drab affair defo had a hint of the vehicle below :lol:

845832773_b14312260e.jpg

If Barça ever plays like Chelsea did yesterday I'd be very embarrassed to be a culé :rolleyes:

Chelsea last night showed why the Premier League is head and shoulders above La Liga. Sides in the Prem (Liverpool's recent 4-4s aside) know how and when to defend, which is as much part of the game as attacking is. For all your attacking prowess (and believe me, I've been very impressed with Barca this year attacking-wise) you couldn't unlock an under-strength Chelsea defence. You had exactly the same problem against Manure last season when you were trying desparately for that equaliser. And when Chelsea come at you at Stamford Bridge I wouldn't be at all surprised if your defence crumbled.

I'm no Chelsea fan (I'm actually a Liverpool fan), but I'd always defend Chelsea's right to play like that in any 2 legged European tie. And if I was a Barca fan, instead of being embarrassed, I'd want my side to at least have the capability to play like Chelsea did last night, to have that plan B... because then, with a bit of tactical nouse from the manager, you'd be truly unstoppable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said, Phil.

Anyway, I think you all know that Chelsea haven't used that strategy at all this season. The emphasis under both Big Phil and Guus has been on attack, and defense through possession. We've been leakier than in past seasons, but certainly more entertaining. That's why I (like many) was so surprised last night. But if Guus has a plan to take it to Barca at Stamford Bridge, then I'm not the slightest bit embarrassed!

If Barça ever plays like Chelsea did yesterday I'd be very embarrassed to be a culé :rolleyes:

but sil, that is exactly why barça is recognised as one of the greatest football sides in history and why chelsea, is.......errrrrrr.......

HELP!

:lol::lol::lol:

but sil, that is exactly why barça is recognised as one of the greatest football sides in history and why chelsea, is.......errrrrrr.......

HELP!

:lol::lol::lol:

Well, Barca will have to prove they are "one of the greatest footballing sides in history" by going on to win the Champions League and possibily retaining it next year. The greatest sides are the ones that win things, not just play amazing football. And, say what you like about Chelsea, the current tie is still very much in the balance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Barca will have to prove they are "one of the greatest footballing sides in history" by going on to win the Champions League and possibily retaining it next year. The greatest sides are the ones that win things, not just play amazing football. And, say what you like about Chelsea, the current tie is still very much in the balance.

sorry i'll rephrase, clubs i meant, not sides.

Back