Catalan

I think it's amazing that you all have your own language depending on the region you come from... In Brazil, we all speak the same Portuguese all over, with little accent differences. Catalan is easier for me to understand that castellano.

What I find incredible is that I can understand Gallego better than Portugal Portuguese.

Beckiboo said:
So what's Ibienco then? An Ibiza version of Spanish? :confused:

No, ibicenco it's a dialect from Catalan, same with valenciano.

Conrado, there's only three co-offical languages in Spain (Gallego, Euskera and catalan) but yes, the different accents of spanish can be very confusing. I have serious problems to understand people from the south :eek:

silvia said:
[Conrado, there's only three co-offical languages in Spain (Gallego, Euskera and catalan) but yes, the different accents of spanish can be very confusing. I have serious problems to understand people from the south :eek:

I know that, but we don't even have dialects. When I was in Ibiza, some traffic signs were written in Ibicenco, and that's beautiful! I mean, I do believe that our language is the most important thing about our cultural identity, and presenving it is very important. Even if it's a dialect.

Conrado said:
I know that, but we don't even have dialects. When I was in Ibiza, some traffic signs were written in Ibicenco, and that's beautiful! I mean, I do believe that our language is the most important thing about our cultural
identity, and presenving it is very important. Even if it's a dialect.

Conrad, that's very nice to hear, unfortunatly languages and dialects are now a days, weapons in the general and regional policy. Lots of people can't stand that catalans, or basques or gallegos have a second language, like in the old Franco's days :(

Conrado said:
I do believe that our language is the most important thing about our cultural identity, and presenving it is very important. Even if it's a dialect.
fing24.gif
fing02.gif
fing24.gif

McRackin we should nominate Conrado Honorific Member of the future Catalan Forum, what do you think? ;) :D

at least he showed respect for our language, not like Certain_Idiot who describe it as "a funny language"..........

Caetano Veloso, a Brazilian musician, says about Portuguese "minha língua é a minha Pátria", meaning "mi lengua es mi Patria". I totally agree! I mean, if I have to speak English, French or German to communicate with someone, no problem, I can do so. Even if I have to, I can try to communicate in Spanish (even though I don't know exactly how, I'll try). Communicating is important. But knowing the value our language has is just as important.

Minha língua é a minha Pátria!

McRackin and Silvia, read this:

http://a-r-c.gold.ac.uk/a-r-c_Two/v1.2_milton01.html

"For Brazilians, as for those who speak Portuguese, art is a woman: "A Arte". For people who speak Spanish, art is a man: "EI Arte". For those who speak English, art has no gender. This does not mean that people who speak Portuguese and people who speak Spanish make art differently as woman is different from man. They make art in a way that is equal, as a woman is equal to a man. Art in English has no gender, but this does not mean that art done in English is neutral as woman and man are not neutral." --> This is the pleasure that comes from speaking many languages (and being raised bilingual is a blessing for you that can speak català, ibicenco and castellano, I envy you, guys).

Conrado said:
McRackin and Silvia, read this:

http://a-r-c.gold.ac.uk/a-r-c_Two/v1.2_milton01.html

"For Brazilians, as for those who speak Portuguese, art is a woman: "A Arte". For people who speak Spanish, art is a man: "EI Arte". For those who speak English, art has no gender. This does not mean that people who speak Portuguese and people who speak Spanish make art differently as woman is different from man. They make art in a way that is equal, as a woman is equal to a man. Art in English has no gender, but this does not mean that art done in English is neutral as woman and man are not neutral." --> This is the pleasure that comes from speaking many languages (and being raised bilingual is a blessing for you that can speak català, ibicenco and castellano, I envy you, guys).

Thanks Conrado, this art/word dissertation is very interesting. I always find strange and confussing that no - genre in english cos it's so important in spanish and catalan ;)
I'll take a look to that link at home.

And yes, being bilingual it's a blessing ;)

Bring back Silvia! Somebody else I could practice with. Am currently doing a Bàsic 3 evening class twice a week which is free! I think it's the last stage before intermediate level. Quite an interesting group. A few native Spanish speakers, mostly south americans, a Ukrainian, a Korean tour guide and a Brazilian postgraduate researching witchcraft!

We sometimes find ourselves watching IB3 (on freeview here) which is the official baleares tv channel broadcasting in Mallorquí and Eivissenc. Do hope it’s future is guaranteed because the governing PP and their (even more) evil younger brother VOX have formally declared war on the Catalan language in the Balearics. It’s no longer mandatory for many public offices and my fear is it will gradually disappear across the board.

Back