Carl Cox reveals plan to build a new Space Ibiza

Don't think there is the demand for another large club, if a new one miraculously got past the planning laws its opening would mean another club closes and it woulden't be the rich Ushuaia and Hi group with their big pockets...it would be places like Privilege, Es Paradis and Sankeys who are already scraping by on 2/3 nights a week.

Last time this was spoken about there were rumours of building a daytime club in San Antonio but I think even that market is saturated with Ocean Beach and Ibiza Rocks.

Not sure turning Privilege in to Space works either, though a one off Space branded event with a 'classic' lineup might work.

Well, the alternative is the status quo, which means Matutes takes over each club one by one. Not sure if that’s the solution either.

The fact this is even being considered just emphasises how much they f***ed up the old Space building and den bossa in general.
Regardless of musical taste they really did ruin on of the best clubbing spaces in Europe
Can't see Coxy being given an opportunity to open a club anywhere near the size of the old Space.

Face it kids, Space is dead and won't be resurrected.

Maybe 10-15 years further on, once Matutes loses interrest in his empty clubs and hotels, there will be space for something new.

The fact this is even being considered just emphasises how much they f***ed up the old Space building and den bossa in general.
Regardless of musical taste they really did ruin on of the best clubbing spaces in Europe.

Yes exactly. The first time I went to Hi last year I went straight to what was the terrace and couldn’t believe what I saw. That night in early September they closed the room at 3am due to there being more bar staff than punters.

I think the whole thing is a monumental f*** up but hey, Space is over now.

Yes exactly. The first time I went to Hi last year I went straight to what was the terrace and couldn’t believe what I saw. That night in early September they closed the room at 3am due to there being more bar staff than punters.

I think the whole thing is a monumental f*** up but hey, Space is over now.
I completely agree with @Kim Wrong Un. There is no place in the market for another super club. It’s quite apparent the Island can’t sustain what it has. Equally it’s quite apparent the super clubs are going to have to get used to being as they were a decade and a half ago with 2-3 busy nights a week. The weeks of milk and honey are well and truly over. They have been for a while but it seems to be more apparent with the island clearly being quieter this year.

But the issues you raised aren’t exclusive to hi. Space hosted many, many nights and days with a virtually empty main room and terrace. The big nights and days were fabulous. As were the afters events which took place day time in the earlier to middle days of space before legislation came into place.

Ibiza is coming to a number of cross roads. And I am coming to a crossroads with Ibiza tbf for a number of reasons.

I completely agree with @Kim Wrong Un. There is no place in the market for another super club. It’s quite apparent the Island can’t sustain what it has. Equally it’s quite apparent the super clubs are going to have to get used to being as they were a decade and a half ago with 2-3 busy nights a week. The weeks of milk and honey are well and truly over. They have been for a while but it seems to be more apparent with the island clearly being quieter this year.

But the issues you raised aren’t exclusive to hi. Space hosted many, many nights and days with a virtually empty main room and terrace. The big nights and days were fabulous. As were the afters events which took place day time in the earlier to middle days of space before legislation came into place.

Ibiza is coming to a number of cross roads. And I am coming to a crossroads with Ibiza tbf for a number of reasons.

Space isn't the only reason but it was an iconic part of Ibiza for genuine clubbers. Although it suffered when daytime clubbing ended it was still a monument of sorts to the Ibiza people fell in love with.
The people that's being attracted to Ibiza by the likes of Hi and Ocean beach are pretty much the opposite of what Ibiza represented.
Fake VIPs hovering around a bottle of Grey goose and throwing shapes for the all important Instagram snap don't really contribute to a party atmosphere.
The other Supposed VIPs with actual cash meanwhile are happy to be segregated in a booth or roped off separated from the actual party. I know I'm generalising here but the evidence is plane to see for the most part.
First impressions last, and for newcomers to the island there's very little party wise that really separates ibiza from any other party destinations, except maybe the overpriced drinks and hotels.
It's not all bad of course, there are still lots of great venues full of good people but they are becoming increasingly rare.

Ibiza does seperate itself by being located on an island and housing some spectacular clubs but if we're talking strictly lineup wise, you can find similar at festivals or even better. But festivals don't last that long of course, but some may not care and find it good value and will enjoy gap days between the next festival doing sightseeing or something.

I do wish Ibiza would fatten up some of these lineups TBH. Pyramid is good some weeks, other weeks eh for example. Or maybe the same names are getting tiring? Afterlife seems consistent for sure, Ants is pretty dry in some weeks, etc. Like I dont know

BTW, I find festivals to be like what Netflix is to movies- they completely cheapen the music experience by stuffing all these artists and making them so accessible. I went to DGTL Barcelona and I did enjoy the open air partying and the mass amount of ppl there but it felt like everyone was on different vibes and just felt impersonal. Or maybe I'm just an Ibiza snob lol.

Space isn't the only reason but it was an iconic part of Ibiza for genuine clubbers. Although it suffered when daytime clubbing ended it was still a monument of sorts to the Ibiza people fell in love with.
The people that's being attracted to Ibiza by the likes of Hi and Ocean beach are pretty much the opposite of what Ibiza represented.
Fake VIPs hovering around a bottle of Grey goose and throwing shapes for the all important Instagram snap don't really contribute to a party atmosphere.
The other Supposed VIPs with actual cash meanwhile are happy to be segregated in a booth or roped off separated from the actual party. I know I'm generalising here but the evidence is plane to see for the most part.
First impressions last, and for newcomers to the island there's very little party wise that really separates ibiza from any other party destinations, except maybe the overpriced drinks and hotels.
It's not all bad of course, there are still lots of great venues full of good people but they are becoming increasingly rare.
I dont disagree. A number of reasons here why Ibiza is heading to a number of cross roads.

Space was great when it was great. And I had more great night there than average ones. But while space was iconic, amnesia and privi still are and they continue to endure.

BTW, I find festivals to be like what Netflix is to movies- they completely cheapen the music experience by stuffing all these artists and making them so accessible. I went to DGTL Barcelona and I did enjoy the open air partying and the mass amount of ppl there but it felt like everyone was on different vibes and just felt impersonal. Or maybe I'm just an Ibiza snob lol.
Try Sunwaves!! Best actual festival I've been too by a long shot! 7 days of non stop music, not proper set lengths and everyone is deffo on the same vibe

Beginning of 2000 , we where taking about the big 4 (space , Amnesia , Pacha , Privilege ) the only club that was full every night was Pacha !
Amnesia and Privilege had more or less 3 night where it was full! Space was close on Monday and open only 3 night a week ( Carl Cox , We love and la Comunidad on Friday which was small underground local artists and in the morning from the 6 days only 2 or 3 where full !
Morever Ushuaia , ocean beach club , Sankey , destino... didn’t exist

So opening a nice “small club” in a nice setting by people that want to do it for the right reason , could work I guess ... but then taking about the politics on the island, it’s another thing

Try Sunwaves!! Best actual festival I've been too by a long shot! 7 days of non stop music, not proper set lengths and everyone is deffo on the same vibe
Totally agree , one of the best festival in Europe right now! Bpm in Portugal is also really really nice but totally different concept ( more like off sonar in Barcelona but much cheaper and better setting)
Then in the winter time , the best still Timewarp by far imo

agree 100% & this started with me a while ago.

but the question i keep asking myself -- is ibiza really changing alot or are we getting older in age & we are not satisfied with whats being provided at the mean time?

maybe the younger generation is?

bit by bit our amazing & beautiful ibiza experiences are being taken away from enter closing, cocoon shifting to pacha, no more space.

black coffee has his own night in ibiza now!! who gets high on black coffee music? :D . its like a radio playing.

anyways i dont want to get into this change much more deeper, ill keep it here.

but for me ibiza now is a place where i like to go & chill with my friends more rather than going there to get high on the music & nights provided, which is completely different than before.

Seen it this morning on ibiza club news, thought to myself thank god was reccently at “hi” last week and couldn’t saying to people about how it use to be and how good the main room was without all the fancy V.I.P spaceship looking booths:(

Back