Cala Bassa- What have they done to it

Higgo

Yesterday we went to one of our favourite baches in Ibiza, Cala Bassa. Having not been to Ibiza for a couple of years now, I couldnt believe that place seems to have been taken over by "Cala Bassa Beach Club" - or CBBC (lol) as it has on all the waiting/security staffs t-shirts.
They have taken over 80% of the beach with s****y sunbeds. Even the nice shaded area in the trees behind the beach has now pretty much been roped off so you cant put a towel down there. Many of these beds proudly have reserves signs on them too.
They also had a DJ on all day pumping badly mixed house.
Now I love to listen to music on the beach, but not all day long and not at Cala Bassa. It seems that these beach clubs catering again for the islands VIP's is the way all the beaches are now going. We also went to Cala Gracioneta to find that the Chiringuito there has expanded and it also playing lift music that surrounds the beach.
I'm sounding really miserable here, I love to party in Ibiza, but surely one of its charms was that not a stones throw away from busy areas like San An, you could find beautiful unspoilt beaches where you could spend the day relaxing?

Still lots of lovely peaceful beaches around. You unfortunately need to drive further & further to find them nowadays. Wish they would confine the beach clubs to the South :(.

beaches are big business in Ibiza and Cala Bassa is just another euro deal. Its now a 4star family themed club run by a spanish company and catering mainly to that market. Its the way Ibiza is going at present and to be fair its not a bad addition to Ibiza. Anywhere that burns all those horrible plastic sunloungers and chairs deserves credit in my book.

If you think Cala Bassa is bad you should take a trip to Cala Tarida and see the ugly mess developers have left behind them there.:spank:

beaches are big business in Ibiza and Cala Bassa is just another euro deal.
Its now a 4star family themed club ...
liked it in november when all the crap on the beach was gone and everything closed
besides the cbbc-chiringuito.
top-water-quality and in this cala you still can go swimming while on other beaches
way to high waves for swimming due to stormy weather.

wasn´t it a much more trashy "family-hell-hole" BEFORE it was re-named cbbc ??
do you have to pay for parking there during mainseason ??

Its one of the few bigger Cala's in Ibiza that has no ugly concrete development surrounding it. The area is all natural. Not sure on the free parking it was October when I was there last and it was free then but I did see entrance barriers to the big car park there so would guess you would have to pay during the tourist season.

Yes, they charge €3 which I guess isn't too bad. I think this whole concept though almost makes a place less relaxing. The look of of CBBC is getting to be the norm for beach bars around the island and personally doesn't sit well with me for a relaxing day on the beach. Theres enough places to go posing on this island as it is. It has also meant that the people that dont want to fork out for expensive drinks on this beach are squashed into small areas where there are no sunbeds (yesterday 50% of the beds were empty whilst all along the shore it was packed with people sitting on the beach).
We went to Cala Salada today and thankfully that as yet has plenty of space to sit on the beach (and plenty of plastic sunloungers!).
I guess as long as people are keeping these businesses going though the more this formula will be used. It would be entertaining though to see how it works in August when the crowds of drunken role off the boats from San An!

Yes, they charge €3 which I guess isn't too bad. I think this whole concept though almost makes a place less relaxing. The look of of CBBC is getting to be the norm for beach bars around the island and personally doesn't sit well with me for a relaxing day on the beach. Theres enough places to go posing on this island as it is. It has also meant that the people that dont want to fork out for expensive drinks on this beach are squashed into small areas where there are no sunbeds (yesterday 50% of the beds were empty whilst all along the shore it was packed with people sitting on the beach).
We went to Cala Salada today and thankfully that as yet has plenty of space to sit on the beach (and plenty of plastic sunloungers!).
I guess as long as people are keeping these businesses going though the more this formula will be used. It would be entertaining though to see how it works in August when the crowds of drunken role off the boats from San An!
Small point but with the 3 euro parking, you can use your ticket to collect a 'free' water/pint of fizzy pop/beer from any of the bars. On most beaches these drink were more than 3 euro so wasn't too bad. This was the case last week anyway, not sure it'll be the same later in the season

Got the ferry there last September, certainly looks very posh VIP. Didn't try any of the food but looked reasonably busy.

Got the ferry there last September, certainly looks very posh VIP. Didn't try any of the food but looked reasonably busy.
The food from the bar closet to where the water taxi dropped off, looked liek food you'd get at a theme park! The stuff from the middle bar, behind the decks, was from a 'proper' kitchen and looked better. We had sandwiches from our cool bag 8)

I went to Calla Bassa yesterday.

It was my first time.

The beach is stunning.

What really pisses me off is how they can get away with hiring a sun lounge for 12 EUROS!! This is their rate. Absolutely ridiculous!

The DJ was a little hit and miss - I was actually surprised to even hear a DJ on this beach as I always thought it caters to a family friendly clientele.

I would recommend Cala Compte. I felt that was more family friendly. It may be a better option if you don't like the music blaring.

The food from the bar closet to where the water taxi dropped off, looked liek food you'd get at a theme park! The stuff from the middle bar, behind the decks, was from a 'proper' kitchen and looked better. We had sandwiches from our cool bag 8)

Oh yea I didn't mean that burger hut on the right as you get off the ferry :p

we went to this beach ,this time on the island, wish I,d read this post first,
YUCK YUCK AND YUCK
We took our son and daughter in law there, telling them what a beautiful laid back quiet beach it is, as soon as we pulled up on the bus we saw signs saying 4 euros to park,!!
then you get off the bus and hear music like you,d hear at Bora Bora
then we saw the low tables with white tables cloths on them, big bowls with Tattingers written on them,
the white draped beds for sunset viewoing or relaxing, what a monstrosity it is now,
My hubby and I renewed our wedding vows there 3 years ago, so seeing it now has destroyed some of our memories,
we laid around the water for an hour ,that looks almost like a natural paddling pool for children, as did a lot of the Spanish, and then went back on the bus to go to cala Gracio,
a few people we spoke to who live on the island dont like it, and said its been made to become a beach that you want to be seen at, rather than the lovely beach it was before,

but we discovered a beach that we really liked which was cala san vicente, it took an hour to get there via 2 buses from San An , and only got to spnd 3 hours there, but we thought it was worth the journey, there is a lovely old guy in a restaurant there,who is very proud of his 50 year old till,

Last edited by a moderator:
thankfully I dont think they can change Cala Gracio /Grassionetta much, the beaches arent really big enough to do much with,
the same as cala D,ort

interestingly, food reviews of cbbc reach from horrendous to delicious. haven't eaten there so can't comment.

i do like the fact they've updated the chiringuitos a bit, but also think they've overdone it. it always used to be one of the most family friendly beaches of the island and such a posh beach club doesn't fit there IMO. what really puts me off is the fact almost all of those new beachclubs look very, very similar - white and off-white. can people not be a bit more creative?

Personally think that is a bit of a drama queen alert :D
It is still a gorgeous beach on the whole, the music is hardly blaring like bora bora and it is not full of brit skanks like bora bora ;)
There is far more beach then beach club, it has hardly been taken over and ruined completely. That said I do understand your frustration. Just dont think it is that bad when you consider what a sh1t hole san an beaches are. And the view on to the sea is absolutely stunning, you can forget the stuff behind you once you see the blue skies and stunning view out to sea 8)

Personally think that is a bit of a drama queen alert :D
It is still a gorgeous beach on the whole, the music is hardly blaring like bora bora and it is not full of brit skanks like bora bora ;)
There is far more beach then beach club, it has hardly been taken over and ruined completely. That said I do understand your frustration. Just dont think it is that bad when you consider what a sh1t hole san an beaches are. And the view on to the sea is absolutely stunning, you can forget the stuff behind you once you see the blue skies and stunning view out to sea 8)

when we went last week, the music unfortunately WAS quite loud, and if you wanted to sit and see the view out to sea, which I agree is stunning,you had to suffer the bad music, which was too loud and distracted you from the glorious view,the only place to have the music at a distance, was if you sat at the bit of the beach I described earlier, and to be honest the majority of the beach WAS taken up by the beach club tables and sun loungers,which is probably why the majority were also sat at the paddling pool end,
and last time we went,the lucky lucky men and women werent there, but this time they were out in force selling the sunglasses,watches and handbags
I dont think there is a problem charging to park there if the money went straight into making the islands finances better, but the money is just making the fat cats fatter,

Last edited by a moderator:
when we went last week, the music unfortunately WAS quite loud, and if you wanted to sit and see the view out to sea, which I agree is stunning,you had to suffer the bad music, which was too loud and distracted you from the glorious view,the only place to have the music at a distance, was if you sat at the bit of the beach I described earlier, and to be honest the majority of the beach WAS taken up by the beach club tables and sun loungers,which is probably why the majority were also sat at the paddling pool end,
and last time we went,the lucky lucky men and women werent there, but this time they were out in force selling the sunglasses,watches and handbags
I dont think there is a problem charging to park there if the money went straight into making the islands finances better, but the money is just making the fat cats fatter,

Wow, complete contrast to my visit in June when I met Kimagy at the cafe at the end of the beach. A small section of the beach has the beds and I enjoy the background music but didn't realise it would get as bad as what you describe :(
Hopefully no one will spend any money and it will go back to what it used to be ;)

Back