Bye Bye Ibiza Enough's Enough

Who say`s these people had all taken drugs? The press ?
I have friends who went home after a holiday here this year to find out their 22 yr old Son had died falling of a balcony in Turkey, It made front page on the local paper and a few national`s with headlines similar to what you see for here, I think it was about 7 pill`s he was supposed to have taken, When his girlfriend got home and explained, It seems they had not been well with bad stomach that night and actually gone to bed early, they had taken and drunk nothing more than water, He had a history of sleepwalking, The apology was not front page new`s, Of course.

Have a good one
Tim

Damn those tabloid journalists!!!!

How does these figures compare with other resorts? i.e. is there more or less E related deaths in Magaluf / Malia?

But really that isnt the point, whether theres more or significantly less, its still 9 needless deaths that could have been prevented, and at least 9 grieving families, think of all those that the deaths have directly affected, will go into the hundreds easy

The message is BE CAREFUL! Going on holiday doesnt make you immune

people have been taking drugs and dying since the dawn of mankind.

why is it such a shock if someone takes that risk and snuffs it.

as humans we are driven to seek naughty thrills.

what a sterile world it will end up in about 1000yrs.

"A recent survey of British visitors to Ibiza revealed nearly half took ecstasy during their stay.
And 40 per cent reported using the drug five or more days a week during their holiday on the island."

(c) Dailyrecord

ROFFLE:lol::lol:

Says all you need to know about the credibility of this particular rag.

"A recent survey of British visitors to Ibiza revealed nearly half took ecstasy during their stay.
And 40 per cent reported using the drug five or more days a week during their holiday on the island."

(c) Dailyrecord

Aye, exactly. Does that include all the families and older people as well?
They're not exactly slow to jump on the 'drugs' bandwagon either. I wish newspapers would wait until there's proof before coming out with big-lettered headlines. But I suppose that's asking way too much, they've got their circulation figures to worry about :evil:

It's just been reported on the BBC news that here in the UK that we have the highest level of amphetamine use in Europe, and the 3rd highest level of heroin use despite having the highest detection and seizure rate in the EEC. Now I'm not going to moralise about the rights and wrongs of drugs use and misuse, but it is simple fact that clubbing, youth culture and drugs use in the UK are inextricably linked. It is estimated that approximately 120,000 tablets of Ecstacy are taken every weekend here. However, jailing drug users and addicts doesn't work, and never has. Over 85% of the USA's prison population are there for drugs offences- do you honestly believe that they are all going to come out of jail one day and be clean? Get real. We are never going to stop drug use.
Those people who get addicted to heroin and crack cocaine aren't just morons (any sane-minded adult knows the dangers of those two drugs), they're sick. They need treatment, not putting in prison. Jesus, if I were in prison I'd want to be off my head every single day for the rest of my life just to try to forget the experience!
What we need to do is educate our young people. Moralising against huge swathes of youth cultures or alienating already disenfranchised people is counter productive- a lot of people will use drugs in a recreational way when they go out, so why make them feel bad about it? Why criminalise them?
There are many good resources all over the net giving information on the chemical components of drugs, and why opiates work on the human body to what to do in an emergency, or if someone OD's.
I say that if you are going to take drugs you have a duty to yourself and your friends to educate yourself as much as possible. Read up as much as possible on your chosen drug(s). Think about what you've read and then find out some more. And then think about it again. Learn what to do if a friend OD's. Try to find out what to do if somebody you suspect/know has taken Ecstacy and appears to be struggling or over-heating.

I'm not going to say whether you should or shouldn't take drugs- if you're going clubbing this weekend your mind's probably made up anyway. But if one person reads this, and goes on to save someone's life, then surely it was worth it.
Think about it.

*Taken from the blog I had a couple of years ago and is purely my opinion.

(c) Dailyrecord

actually that report is almost true - what they dont say is that it was a survey at ibiza and palma airport in 07 & 08 of 3000 18-34 year olds (english, spanish,german etc) as they were going home

problem is its a bit like asking 3000 18 year olds if they are still virgins - are they all going to tell the truth? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
actually that report is almost true - what they dont say is that it was a survey at ibiza and palma airport in 07 & 08 of 3000 18-34 year olds (english, spanish,german etc) as they were going home

problem is its a bit like asking 3000 18 year olds if they are still virgins - are they all going to tell the truth? ;)

I would have been outside the boundaries for that particular report:lol::lol::lol:

Good post Padster, I honestly and truly believe that with an end to prohibition even just in the UK / Europe, the drugs problem would be reduced significantly. The people that are currently hooked on heroin & crack cocaine were always going to be hooked on something and as you point out, need help, not jail. Lets face it, most people could walk out their front door and buy any drug of choice within a few hundred yards/ one phone call.

The longer this pointless prohibition goes on the more lives will be lost.

As i originally posted this thread , i can honestly see everyone's point in one way or another

point is though i think ibiza is like a hotspot for the press , whenever there's a death the press are in about it like a tramp in a bag of chips , but as i said the new ibizan authorites will not investigate further into the deaths and opt for the easy clubbing culture to blame scenario they've made it quite clear what they wanna do with the island and in my opinion it'll never be st tropez II but powers power and there continues to be more "supposed drug related deaths" they'll do everything they can to force the change

it does however seem that even although i don't agree with drugtaking in general never tried it never will but each to their own , reports show that the deaths have emerged from a mixture of drink & either mdma or ketamine(who in their right mind would wanna take horse tranquiliser)it seems people are being too greedy with drugs , people should learn to relax and enjoy the beautiful tranquil island without getting off their heads and putting themselves at risk

Last edited by a moderator:
actually that report is almost true - what they dont say is that it was a survey at ibiza and palma airport in 07 & 08 of 3000 18-34 year olds .

What about asking us older 40 year olds?? we can be naughty as well... 20 years ago remember...

What we need to do is educate our young people. Moralising against huge swathes of youth cultures or alienating already disenfranchised people is counter productive- a lot of people will use drugs in a recreational way when they go out, so why make them feel bad about it? Why criminalise them?

But what if you have children of your own who are reaching that age??

I have an 18 year old daughter who I had to have the dreaded drug talk with. It was a while ago and difficult, but I aint nieve and gave her the lowdown on all drugs. At least I know what I'm talking about:rolleyes:. She didnt really ask any questions, coz she probably knew a lot anyway.. Without condoning recreational drug use I explained the good and the bad and some examples of greed and the "look at me I can munch 20 in one night" syndrome.. Deaths that have happened like Leah Betts who drunk too much water coz she thought it would counter the effects, as well as some of the deaths at hanger 13, pill munching ravers who didnt drink any water etc... Obviously I dont want her to take anything ever, but not being nieve I thought it best to have a bit of a heart to heart with her about it.. I know what it's like when you're young and out with your peers. She is off to Fantazia this weekend :confused:

Not every parent could possibly have that conversation, coz many think that if you take E then you are junky. Some sort of educational drug aware programe at schools instead of banging childrens heads against the wall shouting, "just say no", they should be more open and educate them on if they do do it then do this and/or dont do that.. I dont know, maybe I'm being nieve :cry:

100% agreed !!!!!! I have had that talk with my 15yr old, Much the same as yourself, Trying to tell them "just say no" Especially in today's world where some of the stars almost glamorize being a full on smack head and Cocaine as something to take with a cup of tea first thing in the morning, being quite normal. Just say no is not a lot of good,
Tim

100% agreed !!!!!! I have had that talk with my 15yr old, Much the same as yourself, Trying to tell them "just say no" Especially in today's world where some of the stars almost glamorize being a full on smack head and Cocaine as something to take with a cup of tea first thing in the morning, being quite normal. Just say no is not a lot of good,
Tim

Hey Tim my Crystal Rooms dancing friend :p

Mate, it is so difficult trying to get it across that if you do do it you are always taking a risk no matter what, but if you that you really have to take something then dont do this and do that. Always stay in control and dont ever get greedy etc.. It feels like you are saying it's ok to take stuff, but you are not saying that at all.. I think I got it across ok..

And of course, "Fools and Horses" take ketemine lol

Hey Tim my Crystal Rooms dancing friend :p

Mate, it is so difficult trying to get it across that if you do do it you are always taking a risk no matter what, but if you that you really have to take something then dont do this and do that. Always stay in control and dont ever get greedy etc.. It feels like you are saying it's ok to take stuff, but you are not saying that at all.. I think I got it across ok..

And of course, "Fools and Horses" take ketemine lol

this is the problem on the island now!!!! and thats why there have been 9 deaths this year!!!

It is hard - there is no black and white anymore in parenting ! I have 3 boys, two of which are old enough to have had various talks with re drugs, alcohol, safe sex, etc.

I think your best bet is to stay real, remember what you learned along the way and give them the honest lowdown with honest tools to deal with the reality out there... At least they listen when you keep it real !

It is all about providing information and trying to educate without dictating, then crossing your fingers and hoping for the best ;)

This is 2008 and not 1984, and ANYONE who gets addicted to hard drugs like heroin and crack cocaine ive absolutely no sympathy for anymore whatsoever, it's not as if this is the early/mid 1980's when for the most part people were not aware of the real dangers of drugs like heroin, people thesedays are fully aware of the dangers of these drugs and if they choose to take them and get addicted then ive no sympathy for them, im sick of hearing about former schoolmates and people from my old estate who have died or are walking around town like zombies because of that filthy heroin,some of these were sound people at one stage before this filth took over their lifes.

I personally would lock people addicted to heroin or crack in solitary confinement for a month at least and make them go cold turkey, sweat the cun*ing thing out of their system, and then take it from there all the time being closely monitored, methadone is merley a substitute for heroin and is not the answer either.

Tim

I agree mate, If i was to see my son who is now 12 who ive not seen in many years (long story) i would sit him down and educate him about drugs, the worst thing you can possibly say to a kid (we were told this years ago) is JUST SAY NO, i would go through the whole spectrum of drugs and i would say i would personally prefer if they didn't take anything but IF they were to dabble to be fully aware the dangers involved,etc,etc, saying just say no is the worst thing anyone has ever said.

Yes, With mine it was very difficult to try to put it across as if I was not condoning it, I am sure she know`s that I may have tried the odd thing my-self, So then trying to stay away from the " well you did it " Was very difficult, They are not stupid ! I Eventually sat down and went through the alphabet, Explained to the best of my knowledge, No crap, Right this is this, It will make you feel like this, These are the better / safer ways to take it. This is what it looks like, This is it`s approx cost, This is what you will get told by whoever you are buying off, This is what to look for, And at the end of the day, If it all go`s tit`s up, Do not hesitate to call me, I will not be happy, but we deal with that when you are OK, Was always unsure about the last bit I said, Is it condoning it ? :spank:
Have a good one
Tim.

Ps Ketamin has been popular this year, I know no more than I have seen my Dog on it, and do not want to feel like that lol,
I have heard some stuff about it being very dangerous with alcohol and also not to drink Red bull ????? The red bull bit puzzeles me , Cause of the cafine ?

Was thinking about the Just say no thing, Was Grange Hill ? I can just imagine the politician that though of re-running that,,, "dur well,, err,,, It worked on me, I am not a smack head, (Probably dyson`s that charlie for their country though) Yea that will work, lol bit the same as the coast guard one run this summer I remember the first time round, " It`s a dingey " lol

Jonny, I don`t know any crack heads, I do know a few Smack heads, One is a very close friend of mine, But I also know a lot of coke heads, I would say the coke is the worst out of them, At least with a smack head you know where you are, the coke make`s people look/think/talk ok, but most would steal yer granny`s purse for another line if she turned round, Then stand there and deny it, And be very convincing about doing it !

Back