Buying Property in Ibiza

All I can say, with my little knowledge of the island:
Why do the locals moan about the over-tourism.?
Who am I to say what is right or wrong for a place I visit just a few weeks a year?
Is it good to see the tourism business growing that fast in an ended territory?
Same population density of a country with towns like Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt, does it sound like ibiza?(with much more water)
You, and all the people who are looking at ibiza just like an hedonistic place, the capital of the techno world, you, are killing the place and the vibe.
Let the people who are living there all year round decide or not what is good or not for them and for them land.
Relax..... Don't think the people that will decide will read that post and implement his idea 🤔

But they need to make some changes, the clubs need to be bigger, they are so over crowded has been for a long while yes, but now even more since the ibiza crowd is changing and the younger tik tok Instagram lovers are more there

Same population density of a country with towns like Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt, does it sound like ibiza?(with much more water)
Maybe you need to visit Germany, my friend. Big cities are dense and the rents are crazy, but there is a lot of sparsely populated beautiful countryside in between ;)

You, and all the people who are looking at ibiza just like an hedonistic place, the capital of the techno world, you, are killing the place and the vibe.
Well I guess everyone has their own expectations on the "vibe" when it comes to Ibiza (I am not that hedonistic myself by the way).

But I am curious. I understand you own an apartment on the island and rent it out when not using it yourself. Would you be happy if the number of tourists were to drop by half, but your income from that apartment were also to drop by half? Talk is cheap...

Big cities are dense and the rents are crazy, but there is a lot of sparsely populated beautiful countryside in between
Have you looked at rental prices recently in Ibiza on Idealista, etc? EVERYWHERE has rocketed to become much more expensive, not just the prime seafront spots.

I live in the campo and it’s the same story everywhere here, unless you’re lucky.

But I am curious. I understand you own an apartment on the island and rent it out when not using it yourself. Would you be happy if the number of tourists were to drop by half, but your income from that apartment were also to drop by half? Talk is cheap...
No I don't rent it,it's forbidden to rent it week by week at tourists,touristic licences are not available for apartments. In fact, only detached properties can apply for these licences. The only way I could rent it would be to rent it all year round.
And again, compared ibiza and Germany is a nonsense.

Last edited:
Relax..... Don't think the people that will decide will read that post and implement his idea 🤔

But they need to make some changes, the clubs need to be bigger, they are so over crowded has been for a long while yes, but now even more since the ibiza crowd is changing and the younger tik tok Instagram lovers are more there
Your solution to the issue is to build bigger clubs? Jeez

No I don't rent it,it's forbidden to rent it week by week at tourists,touristic licences are not available for apartments. In fact, only detached properties can apply for these licences. The only way I could rent it would be to rent it all year round.
You see? You could have rented the apartment out to summer workers when you are not on the island, easing their plight, reducing the pressure on the housing market for locals and making some money yourself. Since you are not an evil capitalist but actually care about the Ibiza vibe, I trust you wouldn't let low quality tourists use it. But you are not even permitted to! How can one defend such regulations?

There must be lots of similar properties on Ibiza sitting around empty most of the year due to stupid regulations, all while working people are desperate to find an affordable place to live.

Ok workers, I rent you my apartment, but you have to leave it when I'm coming 3 or 4 times a year, and an entire month in summer when the family goes there... Be serious,...
And I know perfectly that I'm a part of the problem today(it was absolutely not the case 32 years ago when we bought the place.).

You see? You could have rented the apartment out to summer workers when you are not on the island, easing their plight, reducing the pressure on the housing market for locals and making some money yourself.
What and then kick the workers out when he wants to return back to Ibiza?

I really don’t think you understand the situation here. To be honest, I didn’t appreciate quite how bad the situation was until I lived here, all year around. It’s very easy when you’re a tourist to view things with rose tinted spectacles.

There must be lots of similar properties on Ibiza sitting around empty most of the year due to stupid regulations, all while working people are desperate to find an affordable place to live.
Without these stupid regulations, speculators would buy more places like mine and rent it to tourists, yes, it surely could help the locals...

I doubt anyone really has a quick solution to "supply and demand" pressures. My own suggestions are pretty drastic and would make me (even more) unpopular on this forum.

I've been never massively leftwing and yet it's so obvious now that the uncontrolled free market doesn't work for normal people at any level.

In terms of new developments I think only a psychopath would support new urbanizaciones on protected, rural or agricultural land.

Back