Burning Man

Sirens (and anyone else who is interested in going)

Hey Helen! If you are looking for good advice and lists of things you'll need to survive your first time at Burning Man, this site is a great help!

http://www.cieux.com/bm/bmtoc.html

Feel free to scroll down and look at all the resources and if you have questions about any other preparation, please let me know!

Mike

Thank you again Mike :)

Hi Helen!

Don't know if you're still planning to attend Burning Man this year, but haven't spoken to you in a while and wanted to give you an update on what's going on! Ticket sales for 2007 have been announced and will begin at 10 AM PST on January 17th. The lower priced tickets (starting at 195.00 USD this year) will go quickly, as there are only 10,000 tickets at this level! If you are looking to save a little cash to put towards another part of your trip....I suggest this is when you buy! If you aren't too concerned with saving 100.00 or so....you'll have all summer to buy! Let me know if you need any other advise or help with anything! Only 8 months to go....hope you're getting excited!

Mike

Whoa, reading this thread and viewing some of these pictures have really got me stoked on this event! I'm now seriously considering making the trek down for 2007.

According to the website the theme for 2007 has been announced: "The Green Man"

p.s. is there any kind of dress code for Burning Man?

Hey there Jayme....good hearing from you! What part of Canada are you from? There are A LOT of Canadians that attend the event.....mostly from BC. We (my campmates and I) actually camped with 2 guys from Winnipeg this year (who we met right before the event in my hometown) who rode their bicycles all the way down to Burning Man! About 1500 miles I think....they were really cool! And as far as the pictures and the descriptions from other people....it doesn't do the event ANY justice! You have to go and experience it for yourself for it to be believed! You will have an AMAZING time! Tickets for this year actually go on sale in 10 days. That is the best time to buy if you are looking for the least expensive tickets....cause they can get up to as much as $280.00 US if you wait too long!

As far as "dress code"....there....is none!! Clothing ranges from none at all (A LOT of naked people), to costumes worth THOUSANDS of dollars, and everything in between. The amazing thing about the event, is there are no rules. It is what you make of it! It is a place to go and be the person YOU want to be for the week....it is about COMPLETE self-expression. Just be prepared to bring an open mind with you! You will see stuff that you aren't accustomed to seeing on a regular basis, and other stuff that....well....you've never seen! =) Anyhow, if you ever need any help or advice on planning, you have a friend here to help! I am really knowledgeable about the event and everything you'll need to plan for the intense journey! Also, if you enjoyed some of the pictures you've already seen (the Burning Man website image gallery has some great ones) you may also check flickr.com and type in "burning man". There are literally thousands upon thousands of pictures.....most are really good (although keep in mind, pictures don't do the event ANY justice). Also, check out YouTube for video clips!

Well, gotta go get ready for work tomorrow! Hope you can make it to check it out....you will not regret your decision!

Take care!

Always,

Mike

P.S. The following link (I've posted it before) has 100 photos. If you flip through all of them...you will see a lot of different people with various types of costumes and dress! This gives you an idea of what kind of clothes you should bring with you! Generally, the crazier the better!

http://www.scottlondon.com/photo/burningman2005/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike!!

Yes I still want to go! Thanks for telling me when the tickets go on sale. I am very excited 8) I hope you had a good Christmas and New Year!

Well, as most of you who care know.....Burning Man tickets went on sale yesterday! The first 2 levels went QUICK! They sold the first 10,000 in 90 minutes, and 14,000 after that all in the first day. Tickets are now up to 250.00. After those 10,000 sell, you will have to pay 280.00 ea. Still definitely worth it! I hope everyone who is coming is getting excited! Have a great weekend if I don't talk to anybody!

Mikey

P.S. Thanks for the message Helen, I had an amazing Christmas and New Years....lots of great moments! I hope yours went the same!! I meant to ask you, where are you from/where do you live?? :)

Well, as most of you who care know.....Burning Man tickets went on sale yesterday! The first 2 levels went QUICK! They sold the first 10,000 in 90 minutes, and 14,000 after that all in the first day. Tickets are now up to 250.00. After those 10,000 sell, you will have to pay 280.00 ea. Still definitely worth it! I hope everyone who is coming is getting excited! Have a great weekend if I don't talk to anybody!

Mikey

P.S. Thanks for the message Helen, I had an amazing Christmas and New Years....lots of great moments! I hope yours went the same!! I meant to ask you, where are you from/where do you live?? :)

Hey Mikey

I shall PM you :)

I've heard a lot about this festival... a workmate used to live in Reno and only has good things to say about this...Have been thinking about going this year.. but if I do will probably end up going on my own

I need to quit my job!!:lol:

Not sure if this has already been posted, amongst Mike's fantastic links, but came across this excellent video "Burning Man" 8)

It's going to take a lot of saving, but I am determined to make it within the next few years, all the pics and videos make you just so goosepimply :lol:

Angie-

Great Movie....thanks for the post! I actually haven't seen that one before (and I thought I had seen them all)....pretty cool! 8)

Yeah, Burning Man is just......AMAZING!! And just to let everyone know (for those thinking of coming one day), there is talk that this will be the last year! Now, I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT (as they say that every year)...but the truth of the matter is it won't be around MUCH longer! Maybe 3 years, maybe 10? No one really knows! The government (and other people who don't benefit from it) are trying to shut it down, and it's only a matter of time! Get out there as soon as you can....before it is gone forever! I love to travel and see new places...but when I stop and think about wanting to go to a new place....I always end up back in the desert....cause there is nothing better....and it won't be around forever! I hope those who are TRULY interested get to check it out and say that they have experienced it!! It will ROCK YOUR WORLDS!! :D

Oh, and one more thing! My friend sent me this link just yesterday. I thought (much like the movie that Angie posted) that I had every link to websites containing photos of Burning Man, but I was wrong! This is a GREAT site that breaks Burning Man down into 4 years (shot by 1 photographer). There are well over 600 photos! I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

http://www.imageevent.com/pmattf/burningman

Mikey

BM2005-Pmatt-047.jpg

*gulp*

hmm.. I quite want to go to this. And it happens to be about at the same time as when I decided to go off travelling.. hmmm :confused:

Ha Ha.....If you are impressed by those two, just wait til' you see what other craziness awaits you! You will be BLOWN AWAY! That is NOTHING! Hope you get to check it out!

Helen, really glad to see that have decided to buy a ticket! Can't wait to meet you on your tour of the U.S.A.

Mikey

Back